We are Recording Change

February 25th, 2017
I posted a photo yesterday in one of my albums of daffodils and hyacinths that are well on their way to being done blooming at a time of year when they should just be popping out.

Spring keeps coming too early in GA, USA, and I have noticed over the years, because of my obsession with birds and bugs, that this change affects everything--birds are nesting (and failing) early, flowers are emerging and then freezing because a cold snap will return, and bugs are disappearing! In 2014, I decided to dedicate a month to 7 plants to see how they sprung in spring week by week--it was a Macro March so to speak.

As I look back on it, and see the same plants I recorded now, the cycle is about 3 weeks early here in GA now (4 of the plants I recorded have made it to bloom). I wanted to share this because I wondered what other nature photographers are noticing with their experiences where they live--we are climate change recorders of sorts. I actually plan on sending this photograph to one of our universities to see if they are interested in knowing they probably have willing "field data collectors" who happen to make this "recording" a hobby. As much as I loved sitting outside last night for dinner on a patio restaurant, I couldn't help but know that this is just w.r.o.n.g. In 2014, Jan./Feb. produced snow. Anywho, if you want to show some of your own photos that demonstrate "the change" without causing too many commentary hotflashes, fire away!

February 25th, 2017
The weather has been crazy here in Pennsylvania, Daryl. I agree, it feels wrong and worrisome. I saw these bulbs popping up a couple of weeks ago which is too early.
February 25th, 2017
I've been noticing this for some time now too. Here in Ireland we're not exactly known for our balmy climate, but I took these two in Jan 2016...

(Not a great pic) but my Spring bulbs had started to emerge in mid December, and my sage plants, which would usually die back mostly, or at least stop producing new growth over winter... didn't.

Nemesia, flowering way too early in the coldest, north facing, fully shaded part of my garden... Depending on which website you look at, these are supposed to start flowering from roughly late Spring to early Summer in this part of the world.

February 25th, 2017
very interesting
February 26th, 2017
Same here in NC. Yet my daughter is in a deep freeze in MN. We've had an incredibly mild winter this year. I'm not complaining. Although, I did get sunburned this morning taking pictures of my boys at Wildlife Club practice.
February 26th, 2017
@homeschoolmom And your Pears are more advanced than ours right now (being north of me). I spent the entire day taking Track photos in short sleeves when I should have been bundled. Yes, I enjoy the weather, but February is just weird for this over many days! I already see birds nesting--and I know their food supplies are going to be off. My daughter is looking at a college in MN I think. We will have to buy a good jacket. :)
February 26th, 2017
I'm doing a "Seasons Change" album this year just to document the seasonal variations to different scenes around my yard ...my mountain view, flowers, foliage, birds, etc.

This is my latest collage of the flowers that are already blooming around my yard this past week ...These are notable because two years ago at this time my area was covered in snow and nothing was blooming!

I don't know if this is a valid explanation for this year being so different or not, but I read a fascinating article (http://www.naturalnews.com/048906_Inuit_Elders_NASA_earth_axis.html) that said, according to the Inuit Tribe, the earth's axis has shifted; they are noticing longer and hotter days ever since. Either way, its nice to have the pics to compare different months and years and mark the rhythm of life!
February 26th, 2017
I shoot these each year...checking the exif data for this year and the past two year's photos they are about three weeks earlier each year!
March 3rd, 2017
Interesting observations! Two years ago we had one of the worst winters in Chicago since I have lived here, then last winter was very mild, and even though the long range forecast was for a colder and snowier winter than normal this year it has been another very mild winter. In fact we had no snow at all for the entire month of January and February, the first time that has happened in 146 years. And in response to your opening comments Darryl I felt the same as I wondered along the lakefront with only a thin jacket, it felt wonderful, but it also felt very wrong, and a bit scary!
Write a Reply