Help! Broken :(

February 28th, 2017
Are there any master camera fixers out there?

A bit of my SD card has snapped off in my camera (no, I don't know how either).

I took it to camerafixerman and he said to send it off would be £100+, or I could try and coax it out with something thin. I can see the little bit of blue - it's stuck behind the presser thingys in the SD card slot.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any tips on how to get it out?

I've tried with a toothpick and I'm not having much luck :( I can't really afford £100 :/

Thank youuu
February 28th, 2017
I am so sorry to hear about your camera! I know nothing about them but thought that you may ask around at the camera store, or google camera club, to see if there is one in your area.
There may be someone in the local club who may be able to help you for a small fee. And then, who knows, you may even find the people really supportive and you may make some new friends who share your passion for photography!
I don't know about all clubs, but the one I attend is great with super people.
February 28th, 2017
I'm no expert on such technical issues but i too think £100,is too much for something like that.

Assuming your camera's slot works like most,it must have that "push" mechanism which requires you to push the SD card to insert it and push it again to eject it.If that's the case then maybe you can't eject that piece of your card because it's stuck from that mechanism.

Apart from that i don't have much to say,again i'm no camera expert.Maybe as Wendy suggested you should visit a camera store or just try to search the web for a solution i bet you are not the first to have a problem like that...

Good luck and most of all try not to damage your camera in your attempt to fix it. Otherwise the problem will get worse and you may really need to send your camera off to have it repaired.
February 28th, 2017
Maybe if you wrap some super sticky tape backwards around something very thin... then you might be able to get the tiny fragment to stick to the tape and this way pull it out? If you decide to try this out make sure that you have a firm grip of the tape end, so you don't end up with a big lump of tape in there as well... Fingers crossed that you will be able to get it out.
February 28th, 2017
Just want to add: Be very carefull - the insides of a camera body is delicate business....
February 28th, 2017
Just to say you won't be able to pull the bit that is left inside by just pulling.
To release the card normally you need to gently push it in a tiny bit, which releases the card and then you remove it.
To remove the little bit that is left inside you basically have to do the same first. This is probably a two person job. One holding the camera firmly in the right position.
Then someone with something like a sewing needle, (not a cocktail stick, the end might break off), needs to very gently push the card down to release the spring, and hope it clicks out. If it doesn't come free then you need to try the same thing but with a very fine pair of tweezers to pull out the bit of card once it is released.
Again you need to be careful, and if you are not sure yourself, like Wendy said see if you have got a local camera club. Good luck.
February 28th, 2017
Oh I was once asked for £100 to send off a Sony camera, yet another retailer quoted me £50 for the same thing.
February 28th, 2017
Ask Miles Whitehead. He won't rip you off.

http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/
February 28th, 2017
tweezers
March 1st, 2017
Try googling the problem and see if any solutions you like pop up - I just looked and one said try to insert a thin piece of plastic (but not another sd card!) to see if it will dislodge. Good luck and let us know what happens.
March 1st, 2017
@farmreporter thank you - that's an idea!
@gerry13 thank you - yes my worry is I will damage it
@atchoo I tried that! I wrapped double tape around the old SD card but no luck yet. I'm going to have to keep trying...
@markp Thank you - a needle is an idea, I have a few at different thicknesses, sounds like I need to rope in another person...
@chris667 thank you so much, I'll take a look
@phillyphotos they're too thick :(
@linnypinny thank you - yes I found that one too but it didn't work yet!
March 1st, 2017
Try one of those tiny thingies that are used to pull thread into a needle. One time a part of the SD card broke off and got stuck in my laptop's SD slot, and I used one of those things with thin wire to get it to move to the place where I can get it out.
March 3rd, 2017
@naomi : did you get it sorted? :-)
March 3rd, 2017
@chris667 No :( @vera365 oh that's a good idea! I'll try that later, thank you!
Write a Reply