Places for Senior Portraits

June 23rd, 2017
Hi! I live in Maryland and I was wondering if anyone knew of any places that would be good for senior portraits, me and my friend normally get them done through our school but we want to do a shoot together so we have to do that ourselves. Right now I'm considering patapsco state park and brookside gardens but was wondering if anyone knew of other places?
thanks!
June 24th, 2017
Hi Amelia,

Welcome to the community,

Not a Pro Photographer here but here are some tips...

If you want the background to be in focus, then this suggests that the background is in some way relevant to your subject. For instance, if you are taking a portrait of a performing musician, then perhaps it would be nice to take a photo in a venue where they perform, including the background to show the environment.

On the other hand, if your aim is simply to take a pretty portrait of somebody, then the background may not be so relevant, but it must be complementary. A good example of this is taking a portrait of somebody on a beach, where the environment becomes an important part of the composition.

The easiest way to take a portrait with the background in focus is to use a wide-angle lens with a smallish aperture (f/8 is ideal). You should be careful not to get too close to the subject (avoiding distortion) and to include lots of background.

June 24th, 2017
Washington, D.C. is always a wonderful background for photos. Our friend had their wedding pics done at the Jefferson Memorial and they were amazing. Not sure how close you live to D.C.
Write a Reply