Popular Page

June 28th, 2017
I have been lucky enough to have had a few of my photographs on the Popular page and I was wondering what criteria has to be met for them to be featured? Is it number of comments, views, favourites or a combination of these? I'd love to know !
June 28th, 2017
"I'd love to know" - So would everybody else! It all seems a bit random. Mostly those few of mine that get there are the ones I least expected to!!!
June 28th, 2017
Its all related to random numbers generated by magic monkeys...
June 28th, 2017
A
As far as I can tell, it's to do with getting more comments/ favs and more quickly than you personally would normally - i.e. someone who always gets a lot will need more to make the page than someone who doesn't get many comments. Does that make sense?
I notice that I seem to alternate between most photos making it and none at all making it, even with the same numbers of comments/ favs so maybe based on the previous week's average...
Basically it's not a specific number. There's a blog post that Ross wrote explaining it better than I can, not sure where to find it but possibly on a FAQ page??
June 28th, 2017
@blueace Ross' explanation is here, Annie, Angie and Peter @peadar :

http://365project.org/blog/behind-the-scenes-of-365-project
June 28th, 2017
Thanks for posting that link! It seems illogical based on my own photos - the really good or interesting ones never make the PP but a fairly standard shot of a flower or the local harbour seems to have a good chance of getting up there. Never worked out why. Ross's explanation made interesting reading!!
June 28th, 2017
My query is more with 'Top Rated Photos'. This never seems to get updated/changed. Certainly not a problem; more of a query.
June 29th, 2017
OT - I'm wondering how people get picked for the - who to follow page?
June 29th, 2017
Ross's explanation makes little sense in practice it seems to me. It has something to do with comparisons against your own other ratings rather than against current ratings of others, for sure. But even then much seems to be at the whim of the naughty random monkeys. :)
June 29th, 2017
@susan727 I'm wondering this too. Can anyone enlighten us?
June 29th, 2017
@brender Check out @dulciknit 's comment,Brender!
June 29th, 2017
@maggiemae Thanks! So is "Who to Follow" the same as the "Suggestions Page"?
June 29th, 2017
This is one of life's mysteries- sort of like, "Which came first? The chicken or the egg?" and "If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there, does it make a sound?" If you figure these out, along with quantum physics, then you'll know the answer. Of course, the easier route is "the magic monkeys pick them".
June 29th, 2017
Thanks all for the enlightenment. I will firmly believe in the magic monkeys 🐒 🐒🐒🐒
Write a Reply