Flash of Red February 2018 is on its way!

January 24th, 2018
I find it hard to believe that January is almost over, but here we are just 8 days shy of February first! As it's been my custom for the past 5 years (yes- we're in year #6!), I'll be hosting a month of black and white photography exercises with one little flash of color (optional of course) on that day where red reigns supreme.

For the last three years we've also done a book review but this year things will be a little different- more on that later!

So to give you an idea of what lies ahead, here's the tentative schedule:

Feb. 1-4 light (high contrast, low contrast, or muted) your choice
Feb. 5- 11 compositional elements: lines, shapes, space; design elements: balance, emphasis, proportion- any combo your choice
Feb. 12-13 Texture (Rule of 1/3's, Golden Triangle, Positive/Negative Space)
Feb. 14 Flash of Red (Selective Color)
Feb. 15-18 Texture (Rule of 1/3's, Golden Triangle, Positive/Negative Space)
Feb. 19-25 compositional elements: lines, shapes, space; design elements: pattern, contrast, perspective
Feb. 26-27 or 28 light (mid-tones)
Optional Fun on Feb. 28 Funny.pho.to_globe (I have to double check this link) Take all your black and white photos from the previous days and put them in a photo collage shaped in a ball.

Want to read up on Selective Color ahead of time. Here are some examples of how to do it using Picmonkey. The principles will apply to all photo processing programs although the names might not be the same.

http://365project.org/olivetreeann/themes-and-competitions/2014-01-17
http://365project.org/olivetreeann/themes-and-competitions/2014-01-18
http://365project.org/olivetreeann/themes-and-competitions/2014-01-19
http://365project.org/olivetreeann/themes-and-competitions/2014-01-20

I'm looking forward to the challenge and will give you a little more detail by Sunday the 28th.

Ann LeFevre (@Olivetreeann)
January 24th, 2018
I'm in and looking forward to it! I like the idea of the globe for the 28th, they look really cool and I have been thinking about trying one out.
Thank you Ann for keeping this challenge going. Doing all the research and prep work is time consuming.
January 24th, 2018
I'm in too and lokking forward to it. Thanks for setting the "Flash of red" month up again.
January 24th, 2018
I'm definitely in - I loved this challenge last year, can't wait :)
January 24th, 2018
Never done this one before, but as I'm in a black and white groove at the moment - I should manage to participate! Thanks for the organisation.
January 24th, 2018
thanks ann for organising this again! i will do my best to participate :)
January 24th, 2018
Ann I was remembering this the other day. Thank you for setting it up again and I shall try to participate!
January 24th, 2018
Thanks for setting this up again Ann. Looking forward to joining in. May have to dip in and out depending on how things are at home. Hope this is OK
January 24th, 2018
@olivetreeann Thank you for getting this together again. I'm looking forward to it already!
January 24th, 2018
Thank you for organizing this again... bring it on!!!!
January 24th, 2018
Great Ann! I did it last year for the first time and look forward to doing it again! Thanks :)
January 24th, 2018
oh yay! love flash of red!
January 24th, 2018
I'll do flash of second half of February as away from photo editing ( if this ok?!)
January 24th, 2018
I have done this for the last two years and really enjoyed doing it. Looking forward to having another go this year! Thanks for organising it for us!
January 24th, 2018
Know ing how busy your life is l really appreciate the time you take to research,and host this for our community. It is a simple project for us because of your in depth involvement. Thanks Ann
January 24th, 2018
@olivetreeann Sorry but the links don't seem to work
January 24th, 2018
I think I might give it a go this year, have always loved seeing everyone's b&w images.
January 25th, 2018
This video tutorial is OK.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbJCcHyMjU
January 25th, 2018
@salza @mona65 @m2016 @jamibann @pistache @quietpurplehaze @thistle @kiwinanna @northy @novab @annied @30pics4jackiesdiamond @pamknowler @grammyn @rosiekind @inthecloud5 @houser934

Thank you so much everyone for your enthusiastic response! I'm so looking forward to our month of black and white. I shall have all my ducks in a row by the weekend and post the official kick-off then!
January 25th, 2018
I think I will have to join in this time. I need to challenge myself.
January 25th, 2018
Thanks for organizing this. I plan to participate as well.
January 25th, 2018
I'm in! I've never done the globe. They look like fun though.
January 25th, 2018
@tanithrose @randystreat @tracys

Glad to have you joining me! I'll be posting all the "official" stuff soon.
January 25th, 2018
Hopefully I can join in this year Ann, thanks for organising this again
January 25th, 2018
Yay! Can't wait. thanks in advance for all your efforts Ann and I like the idea of the globe at the end - a favourite of mine!
January 25th, 2018
I'm in again - can't wait!!! I haven't done many challenges but really appreciate those who put the time in to organise them so thank you Ann. Some good ideas here to challenge us.
January 25th, 2018
Thank you for setting up Flash of Red once again! I'm in!
January 25th, 2018
Thank you for organizing and planning the Flash of Red. I will attempt to do this challenge. I am not too good with selective coloring, but I will even try to do that day.
January 25th, 2018
Thank you!
January 25th, 2018
@nicolecampbell @dibzgreasley @mandygravil @farmreporter @daisymiller @nanderson

Thanks for joining in Nicole, Debs, Mandy, Wendy, Daisy and Nancy! I'm looking forward to the month.

@daisymiller The flash of red is always optional. I have posted links on "how to" that I did a while back a few comments above and just above that Kathryn has posted a youtube link as well. They may help, but again- it's not mandatory.
January 25th, 2018
@olivetreeann Thanks Ann for organizing this I always enjoy "Flash of Red", I'm in for 2018!
January 26th, 2018
Love it - I'm ready to go!
January 26th, 2018
@radiogirl @linnypinny

So glad to have you joining in Kathy and Lin!
January 26th, 2018
Oh, boy, can't wait!
January 26th, 2018
@homeschoolmom Thanks Lisa- glad you're joining in!
January 26th, 2018
@olivetreeann

Looks like the link is: http://funny.pho.to/globe/
January 27th, 2018
@dibzgreasley That takes you directly to the globe the other one takes you to their home page which has all kinds of effects on it, but the globe shows up there too if you scroll through it. I'll post the one you listed for the flash of red- easier for folks to go directly to it. Thanks Debs!
January 27th, 2018
Would love to participate!
January 28th, 2018
@fbailey Glad to have you join us! I'll add your name to my tag list.
Write a Reply