PhotoShop 15 Layers question

February 21st, 2018
Hi all,
I have minimal knowledge of Photoshop. I have a Photoshop Elements 15 Manual for Dummies, but I'm not up to the Dummy Level to understand it.

What I basically need to know, is how to get the various pictures into the Layers Panel that you want to work with in Layers. If someone could point me to a link that shows me how to put more than one picture in the layers panel, that would help. The book shows me how to work with the layers, but they are already in the panel and there is no where that it tells me how to get them there. When I put a second picture in the photo bin, it then becomes the background layer and the other one is gone.

Just point me in the right direction or link, if you have somewhere I could get that information.

Thanks everyone.
Henri Russell
February 21st, 2018
Hi Henri. I could probably help, but as English is not my first language and my Photoshop Elements is in German too, I most probably mix up things even more for you. I'm sure a 365 friend can help you in proper English. If you do not get the answer that helps, just get in touch with me and I pitch in.
February 21st, 2018
@mona65 Thank you, Mona. You are very sweet. I have been looking for a link online, but most of the utube videos on line tell me what I already know.
February 21st, 2018
Hi Henri, I don't use Elements but I expect it's similar to regular Photoshop where the base / background is the default layer when you open a new image. There are several ways to insert another image into a existing one - the easiest is probably to
- Shift + Ctrl + n to create a new blank layer in your first image & leave this image file open
- open the second image - CTRL+ A to select it all, CTRL+C to copy
- go back to the first image, make sure your blank layer is selected and CTRL+V to paste in the second image.
That's from memory so hopefully it works. :)
February 21st, 2018
@humphreyhippo Thank you, I will try that.
February 21st, 2018
What Humphrey Hippo said.
February 21st, 2018
@k1w1 @humphreyhippo Well, it doesn't seem to work for me, but I'll keep working on it.
February 22nd, 2018
@k1w1 @humphreyhippo @mona65 Hey, all. I finally managed to merge the two pictures together. I'm not really sure if I can do it again. I will post the picture tomorrow for my 52 pictures of me challenge this week. It's not perfect. I now have to figure out how to get the small items in the picture around the fur on my head, but that's for another day.
February 22nd, 2018
@henrir Are you trying to add items or remove them or just reposition them? My email address is in my profile if you want to email me and I might be able to help
February 22nd, 2018
@k1w1 I was trying to overlay/reposition one photo on the other. Somehow I got it to work. I will post my finished picture, which is not perfect, by any means later. Thanks for your office to help. I may take you up on that as I delve more into Photoshop.
February 22nd, 2018
@henrir Hi Helen, don't know if you managed to resolve it. In Photoshop CC, - that's the software I use - it is as simple as this: just select one image, copy it (ctrl+C), then open the second image, and paste the first one (ctrl+V). Done, you have two layers, one for each image!
February 22nd, 2018
You might want to search "Sandbox" here on 365. It is a group that posted some tutorials awhile back. They started with layers. They had both discussions, as well as a photo album where they posted examples. The first few lessons dealt with layers. I don't have Photoshop, only an old Elements, but I was able to follow along.
February 22nd, 2018
hi there. seems like you've had good advice from the lovely folk above. i had a dummies manual for elements 13 - and found, like you, that i was too much of a dummy to understand it :)

but some helpful 365-er suggested scott kelby's manual and my life was transformed! i also used his book on lightroom when i started out

good luck!
February 22nd, 2018
Just click and hold on the image you want and drag it into the image you are combining. You just go up to the tab of that photo it will open and go down into the image. If you hold the shift down it will perfectly center it. In the layers panel you can more the image in the same way and when you see a little light between layers the one you are moving will pop into that layer. sometimes important to get the layers in order.
February 22nd, 2018
Try a series on layers in PSE 15 starts here in YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnItDpEFf4
February 22nd, 2018
@aecasey I finally managed it. No sure how, but it doesn't work this easily in PS 15. Thank you.
February 22nd, 2018
@aecasey Thanks, April. I will certainly check this out.
February 22nd, 2018
@joansmor Thank you, Clare. I have certainly gotten some good advice and have figured out part of it, at least.
February 22nd, 2018
@joansmor Thank you, Joan. I think that is what I finally did. I will definitely keep this thread so I can refer back to it.

And thank you so much for the YouTube video link. I will certainly watch it.
February 22nd, 2018
I'm such a dummy I thought you were going to ask how to get and use 15 layers in photo shop!
February 23rd, 2018
@30pics4jackiesdiamond I may at some point be asking that question.
Write a Reply