minimal challenge - tag 'mini-urban1'

April 17th, 2018
Don't want to write about me me me (already too much?) but 365 was the first photography community i ever joined and while I am not the best commenter these days, it is still a place full of truly generous-spirited people who motivate & teach me which is why I still visit and post.

The two main directions it has led me in are street and, more recently, minimalist photography and while both are quite open to personal interpretation, I'd like to start a new theme for those of you who find the challenges a meaningful source of inspiration and fun.

Many definitions & examples of minimalist photography out there to consider.
I offer you this as a guideline: Minimalism is indeed the art of less. As a life philosophy, minimalists focus on a few essential elements of life and cast unnecessary things aside. Same pretty much goes for this photography style. Keep effects and processing to a minimum also :o)

To narrow down the entries for each challenge, we'll have 5 themes and repeat them in cycles.

mini-urban details (doors, windows, building details, bridges, stairs furnishing etc..)
mini-sea/land/cityscape
mini-street
mini-texture/form
mini-light/shadow

So 'mini-urban1' starts today and ends 1st May. Entries to be taken within this time frame.

(The winner of this challenge will then start the 'mini-scape1', the winner of that will start 'mini-street1', next will be 'mini-textform1' then 'mini-lightshadow1' and then on with 'mini-urban2')

Far too complicated?? Give me your feedback and we can tweak it together :o)

Oh and post your entries below.

Enjoy,

April 17th, 2018

April 17th, 2018
Cool concept for a challenge... love minimalism and i think it will be fun to play around with this... looking forward to participating!!!!
April 17th, 2018
@gozoinklings Great idea! I love minimalism.
April 17th, 2018
Wonderful idea! I like the focus.
April 17th, 2018
@northy @stimuloog @taffy oh good - am relying on you to shape the challenge as you are all pretty experienced long-serving members :o) so please chip in with suggestions

April 17th, 2018
Locked up in urban minimalism ;-)
April 17th, 2018
a bit of overlap between this and the abstract challenge... will be on the lookout, not sure how many entries that one is garnering these days, we shall see how this one takes off
April 17th, 2018
@kali66 we could make it 4 themes and take out the form and structure? would that be the overlap?
April 17th, 2018
no just to my mind minimal is often abstract, and abstract is often minimal lol a bright shiny new challenge will be motivation, dont let me stop you :)
April 17th, 2018
perhaps the post from Marloes above (I love it @stimuloog ) helps to distinguish between minimalism and abstract. I agree there is overlap, but there should be scope in both themes outside of the overlap. I will be sure to be on the lookout on this one. Thank you.
April 17th, 2018
@kali66 yes, now i am reading about the two - some write abstract doesn't have to be minimalist and minimalist doesn't have to be abstract but it seems as you say they often are both & defining them clearly seems to take quite a bit of effort ... i recently joined a facebook group called 'minimal top 7' and sometimes wonder if all the images people post there are really minimalist - they are not predominantly abstract or rather you can often tell what they are images of - so, in my head i suppose i think of abstract as something not immediately identifiable - it's really interesting and makes me wish i'd studied art :o) i'm hoping helen jane is right about the scope
April 17th, 2018
@helenhall hope you do :o)
April 18th, 2018
My slacks with a bit of loose thread
April 18th, 2018
I love minimalism and will give it a go. I remember when you started the street challenge, and people were hesitant and now it is thriving at challenge #43!
April 18th, 2018
@ukandie1 I just resurrected the street one which had lapsed for a while but yes, glad it's going strong! Let's see what happens with this :0) please do join in!
April 18th, 2018
@pandorasecho imaginative and surprising entry ... nice
April 19th, 2018
April 20th, 2018
April 20th, 2018
@gozoinklings Inspired by your minimal urban challenge I had a completely different look at my city. I thought I photographed every inch on my daily route through the center in the past 7 years. The ride home took me an hour extra shooting everything on my way. That was fun. Thanks.
April 20th, 2018
will definitely be a joiner
April 20th, 2018
April 20th, 2018
My attempt to find minimalism :

April 21st, 2018
Does this count? Need advice please. If not I'll remove the tag. Thank you

April 30th, 2018
May 4th, 2018
entries closed
Write a Reply