Popular Page

June 19th, 2018
Hi I have a question re the popular page as I think it may be broken.

My latest photo

has just gotten on the popular page with just one comment.

This looks like something may be wrong with the algorithms.
Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks

John
June 19th, 2018
Yes, I had the same thing happen. 3 viiews, no comments, and it’s tagged as being on the popular page.
June 19th, 2018
I just had two photos on Popular Page, each with one fav, I don't think it necessarily means anything is broken but that there was not a lot of competition at that moment in time.........
June 19th, 2018
Don't knock it!! One day you'll have one with zillions of views with many favs that gets nowhere on TP or PP!! Apparently it's down to the Magic Monkeys!!

I like you pov and focus in your photo btw!
June 19th, 2018
@30pics4jackiesdiamond

Well said, Jackie!!
June 19th, 2018
Haha.
@30pics4jackiesdiamond @yorkshirekiwi @quietpurplehaze
There were quite some discussions about the PP in the past. If only the 'popular' photo's were to be displayed on there it would just be collection of 365'ers with loads of followers instead of a collection with 'interesting' pictures. To prevent such an uninteresting overview the magic monkeys decided to use their magic hat. I think in time every 365'er is now entitled to the wow-factor and gain some more views, comments and perhaps followers. It probably has something to do with the number of views, favs and comments in comparison to your other photo's. Of course your single comment doesn't say anything about the quality of this particular photo against the rest of your album but somehow it was very much appreciated by the monkeys. Congrats for that!
June 19th, 2018
When I first joined each time you made PP your statistics were better than the last time, forcing you to improve your photography or increase your presence. The problem was that people like @shepardmanswife could not get on pp any longer. Now it seems like they periodically reset the algorithym and you get on easily but as time progressses it gets harder. I used to look eagerly to see if I made tp or pp but I hardly pay atttention any more as I am happpy with all the wonderful people who regularly visit my project.
June 19th, 2018
@joansmor

Joan, I agree that the comments and exchange of views/social intercourse are the best part of 365.
June 19th, 2018
@mastermek

Magic monkeys in magic hats are not to be 'gainsaid'!!
June 19th, 2018
I also question how PP and TP work. There are times when only a couple of views and favs gets me there and there are times when I have a ton of comments and favs but never get there.
I am still insecure enough in my work that I get a huge delight when one of my photos makes either page - and am walking on air when it makes both pages!
I was also wondering how views are counted and how I can sometimes have more favs or comments than views. What constitutes a view ... does someone have to click on your photo to count?
June 19th, 2018
@farmreporter You can fav or comment on the main page without clicking on a photo, which results in a view. So, if you have more favs and comments than views you have lazy follower who are satisfied with stamp sizes. There goes your best effort for razor sharp images in raw format ;-)
June 19th, 2018
@mastermek
Thanks for the explanation!
I sometimes bemoan the direction photography is going with the need to have one image on a black background or sunset silhouettes that have a huge and immediate impact.
I long for the days where a photo could (and should) be studied for the detail and the viewer appreciated the skill it took to do it.
June 19th, 2018
@farmreporter I'm no better! I do own an early aged digital Minolta which was not yet able to compete with analog photography. Not sure if it is still operable. I started 365 when I bought my first iPhone, 7 years ago. Still posting those low quality images with great pleasure and almost no image leaves my device unprocessed with default frames and filters.
June 19th, 2018
ditto!
June 19th, 2018
Same here. I had one photo with 9 likes not make trending or popular, but one with three comments and no likes make it onto popular page.
June 19th, 2018
@homeschoolmom @farmreporter @mastermek it may be the most popular for the given hour... there seem to be less people around but that might be a false perception. @scrivna has explained the tweaks he has made to the algorithms for deliberate bias on a few occasions , perhaps Ross you might wish to comment again how it works.
@quietpurplehaze @joansmor @yorkshirekiwi @30pics4jackiesdiamond @nzkites @anniesue
June 19th, 2018
Thanks for all your comments, it helps explain things better.
June 20th, 2018
I've noticed it, too, but just figured it's how Ross has set up the algorithm for the PP. I remember he changed it awhile back. Actually, I'm happy to see more photos making it on the PP and not just the shots that have tons of favs.
June 20th, 2018
@nzkites Good question and this is a great discussion. I also like your image. I like @30pics4jackiesdiamond @quietpurplehaze comments.
June 20th, 2018
As we used to say "its all about the monkeys and what they choose"
June 21st, 2018
@mastermek Oh my. Guilty! (hand held up) Lazy follower. I must try to do better. This discussion is very interesting.
June 21st, 2018
I think it should be renamed “Ross picks a winner” or “Just Because” or “l like it and that’s good enough for me” or... you get the idea.
June 21st, 2018
@randystreat haha. Me too ;-) I use my phone for 365! That’s king stamp size.
June 21st, 2018
FWIW, my current post is standing at 24 views, 13 comments and 15 Favs... but has yet to make the PP. It is on TP but in my experience that is an indicator of early interest - 3 comments and 3 favs in the first hour of posting seems to do the trick.
June 21st, 2018
A follow-up: it seems reasonable that the number of followers you have would weight the algorithm requiring more Favs to make PP. I have, nominally, 436 followers but at least two thirds of them haven't posted for several months so are no longer active and can't be considered as 'followers'... but you can't remove them!
June 23rd, 2018
I have been on 365 for years and used to be on the PP constantly, then for years — nothing. Now I just noticed that 2 of my recent postings had been tapped and one of them had only 6 comments and no favs. It’s a head scratcher, for sure. As my late mother-in-law used to say, “I should worry and grow more haggard,” which meant don’t even try to figure it out.
June 25th, 2018
I just can’t leave it alone. 2 more of my pictures have been on the PP page after years of being totally ignored. I think the new algorithm is, “Everybody gets a trophy,”with each picture on the PP for about 15 seconds.
June 25th, 2018
@allie912 Hehe, "15 seconds of fame" isn't that what they say? Our problem is that @nzkites and I can be quite competitive but in this case he is leaving me way behind. We upload at different times of the day and he gets his images posted quickly, whereas I'm usually in catch up mode 2-3 days behind, so that may make a difference (or he would say his images are just better!) ;-) :-D
June 25th, 2018
As with any new thing, we seem to go through stages - at the moment comments, faves, PP and TP (and before that, the New Faces page) have our attention. I'm sure when we've been here a bit longer these things will become less important as per Joan's comment above. @joansmor
The bottom line for me is really the challenge to take and post a photo every day as a record of the year. The social aspect of the site is a great bonus and very encouraging.
June 26th, 2018
Just seen a photo on the Popular Page with no comments and no faves - and the poster only has 7 followers to give them views!
June 27th, 2018
When one of my weaker photos made the popular page I started looking at some of the others and like @anniesue said, little activity at all on some of them. I think someone is trying to get more interest from people who only post and then do nothing else. When they do this, they take away something vital to the whole project - our wanting to do better to get that apple. I hope that "they" take note of our comments. Because a photo that has had no comments is not "Popular".
June 29th, 2018
This photo is on the PP this morning. I had fun taking it and it was for the Abstract challenge but it is not a winner at all. It has 24 views and 9 comments. NO FAV's. I am very confused.

Write a Reply