Going to Peru! Lima and Cusco areas. What to see and do?

June 24th, 2018
My mom and I were invited to join a friend for travel in Peru for 10 days. Any 365ers there or have traveled there? I've never been to South America, so would appreciate advice from areas to stay (will likely do Airbnb) in Lima or Cusco, and must-sees for photography. I'm always up for restaurant ideas, musical and museum advice, and just about anything that will have to do with the areas. Will definitely see Machu Picchu too.

Thanks in advance. Oh, I'll be there in October, so seasonal advice welcome. While I am NOT taking my 7DMII on my trip in 10 days to Europe, I WILL plan on taking it to Peru if my back is better by then. Fingers double-crossed.

xoxo,
Daryl
June 24th, 2018
I have no advice but am hoping to visit South America in the next few years so I'll tag along for any advice you are given
June 24th, 2018
Girl! Do you EVER stay home?! Have a marvelous time on both of your trips as I know you will!
June 24th, 2018
You will love it. For Cusco, we stayed at the Monastery hotel -- literally renovated from one, which was high end and quite nice. What sold us on it, and it made a difference, was that you could opt for rooms that had oxygen pumped in somehow. You'll be at the highest altitude at that point, and altitude sickness has nothing to do with the kind of shape anyone is in -- it can hit anyone. We were fine during that part of the visit, but our friends we had traveled with who were in FAR better shape than us were rather sick during the few days we were there. Just a thought as it sounds extravagant , but compared to the cost of the overall trip, it really meant we enjoyed Cusco in a way others didn't in our little group.
Cusco has amazing restaurants (as does the area outside Machu Picchu). The cuisine in Peru is a wonderful mix of Japanese, Hill Country, Spanish, and other influences. There are hundreds of types of potatoes which make for fascinating dishes.
The photography is quite special so you'll be glad to have your main camera with you. We had hired a guide so got quite a bit of history/cultural information beyond what we were simply seeing, and thought it money well spent. In Machu Picchu, try to be among the first to arrive or the last to leave (there are buses from the main town - only one hotel is actually right outside the park and it's pretty pricy). It's worth getting there without so many crowds. You can do a great hike walking up to where the hikers enter the area -- something about Sun in the title, I think.
Lima has some excellent museums well worth going to for the big picture of what you'll see in the various ruins. Also, if you can go to Sacred Valley, it's gorgeous. I think it's on the route as you go down from Cusco to Machu Picchu, so when you get to the latter, you are altitude adjusted and can spend a few days hiking around in there. One of our group climbed with the guide to the top of the main mountain and loved it, but said it was not for the feint of heart for both heights (obviously) and claustrophobia (having to climb through small tunnels). I passed on it. Allow at least 2 days there -- there's a LOT to see and photograph at different times of day. Here's a map of our route: https://www.inca1.com/adventurers-route-to-machu-picchu/overview/
June 24th, 2018
@grammyn haha, it was a chance opportunity for this one and my mother is helping me go! Rejoining my buddy I traveled with to Bali on this trip too. @taffy thank you for all this wonderful information! I'm actually excited about all the museums and music opportunities in Lima. I have heard there are altitude sickness pills you can take BEFORE arriving to the area, and I hope to learn more as I would like the best fighting chance I could get. love the idea of oxygen pumped into the rooms. Currently, we are looking at airbnb, so I'll pass your suggestion onto my friend making arrangements (I'm focusing on upcoming Paris/Prague adventure!). I do think we may stay the night in Machu Picchu actually. With all of us, it may be affordable. Rainbow mountain looks amazing in the area too, but my back and ability to hike all day is not going to work! Will keep you posted! xoxo
June 25th, 2018
@darylo We took the pills prior to going -- can't remember the name, but they are basically beta blockers, I think. And when we got to high altitude, we only at chicken soup, drank coca tea for the first day, and then ate very lightly on day 2. It all helps I think.
If you can stay in the park, it's quite amazing as we literally were the first to walk in and the last to walk out. Everything was included in the price which made it easy. And during the day you can leave the park - go to your room for a break and then head back in for the rest of the day.
Plenty of time to look to this trip -- what a great two trips you have coming up!
Write a Reply