Rainbow Challenge 2019!

February 22nd, 2019
Evening guys and gals,

March 1st is almost upon us, and here on 365 that can only mean one thing… the Rainbow Challenge is back!

365 has been looking very classy in monochrome over the last few weeks, thanks to @olivetreeann and Flash of Red February, one of our favourite challenges. The Rainbow Challenge started a few years back, and March has become the month when we unleash our inner seven year olds and flood the place with colour after all the black and white 😊

Here’s how it works.

The challenge lasts for the entire month of March. Each day of the week has a colour of the rainbow – Mondays are red, Tuesdays are orange, Wednesdays are yellow and so on. The table below will show you which date and day of the week matches each colour, and lining them up vertically like this seems to suit most of us, but your images can also go horizontally or diagonally if that’s the way you like it.

My table has purple for Saturday and pink for Sunday, but many people choose to go with indigo on Saturday and purple/violet on Sunday – again, it’s entirely up to you.

Tag your images rainbow2019 and once we start posting on March 1st, you’ll be able to see them HERE

The links below will show you our previous year’s finished calendars and discussion threads so that you can get inspired and learn more about the challenge.

2018 Rainbow Challenge discussion thread

Finished calendar discussion thread 2018

Images tagged for rainbow2018

Finished calendar discussion thread for 2017

Images tagged for rainbow2017

We always have a great response to this challenge, and heaps of fun playing with colour for the month of March – I hope lots of you will join in again this year 😊

I’m tagging everyone who participated last year, or commented on our discussions (apologies if I’ve missed anyone). There won’t be weekly notifications for this challenge, but if you’d like to join in this year and be tagged when the discussion for our finished calendars is posted at the end of March – comment below and let me know!
February 22nd, 2019
I am so glad this challenge is going to start in March again I certainly want to be include in this challenge - it will be wonderful to get back into the world of colour again after spending Feb. in B/W - Flash of red 2019
February 22nd, 2019
Oooh goodie!! Thank you, much as I'm enjoying BnW I really want some colour!! Thanks for including shocking pink for Sunday too
February 22nd, 2019
Fabulous! I have been thinking about this challenge the last couple of days 😊
February 22nd, 2019
Count me in! In my snow-covered black & white world, it will be quite the challenge for me!
February 22nd, 2019
This might be fun, I'd like to try too.
February 22nd, 2019
Thanks! I'm hoping the snow will be moving out making way for color.
February 22nd, 2019
@spanishliz it is fun and as much a challenge as BnW
February 22nd, 2019
Yep, I was already planning on it. Thanks for including me.
February 22nd, 2019
Wonderful I think I am in need of some colour!
February 23rd, 2019
I haven't done this before but after Flashofred the colour will be most welcome!!
February 23rd, 2019
Thanks for presenting this fun follow up to February's black and white challenge!
February 23rd, 2019
Jo
Looking forward to this challenge - thanks Mel for bringing it back this year
February 23rd, 2019
I love this challenge.
February 23rd, 2019
Ok, I think that I want to give this one a try.
February 23rd, 2019
I've always enjoyed seeing the images from the Rainbow Challenge, might give it a try this year
February 23rd, 2019
I'd forgotten about this - but it was great fun last year! Count me in again please.
February 23rd, 2019
Sounds fun but do the photos all have to be taken in the contest time frame? Around here now it’s mostly grey, white, black, and brown.
February 23rd, 2019
@gardencat Hi Joanne - no, there are no rules about when the photos should have been taken, some people prefer to post one that they've taken that day, while others are happy to use photos from before. Your project, your rules!
February 23rd, 2019
@m2016 Thanks Mel, think I'm in then, should be fun.
February 23rd, 2019
I have learned a lot doing flash of red February. I’d like to try the rainbow.
February 24th, 2019
I like to try it Mel.
February 24th, 2019
I would like to give this a go this year, as well. Thank you for putting it together!
February 25th, 2019
@m2016 I have some questions :) 1 Do the photos have to be taken the same day they are posted? I can imagine being somewhere that gives the opportunity to take several colourful photos on the same day (like a market). 2 How does one post a finished calendar at month/s end?
February 25th, 2019
@spanishliz Hi Liz - there aren't any rules about when photos should be taken, I think everyone just operates their own rules about that - I certainly take any opportunity I can for a colourful photo regardless of whether it's the 'right' day or not.

As for the calendar, the easiest way I know is to go to your completed month view on March 31st, take a screenshot using the PrtSc key on your keyboard, and then paste it into whatever editing programme you use.

I used to use MS Paint but now I use Photoshop. Then you can crop, paint out the extra dates and add text if you wish, and save it as a Jpeg image. I haven't tried any other editing software to do this but I'd imagine they're all fairly similar once you have your screenshot.
February 25th, 2019
@m2016 Thank you! I'm looking forward to this.
February 25th, 2019
please add me to notifications!
February 26th, 2019
Yes, please. Count me in.
February 27th, 2019
I am on board as well.
February 28th, 2019
I'd love to join in again :)
February 28th, 2019
It's on my calendar!
February 28th, 2019
I am joining in again for the 3rd time.
February 28th, 2019
it's the 1st here hahaha - ready to go!
March 1st, 2019
I'm going to do at least a week- life is a little jumbled right now- but I do have fun putting a rainbow together. Thanks for always following up Flash of Red with a splash!
March 1st, 2019
I'm going to attempt this! Will be fun to try!
March 1st, 2019
I'm going to take the plunge!
March 1st, 2019
Can I join please Mel? Not too late I hope 😊
March 1st, 2019
@lyndamcg It's never too late! It's only day 1 so you're right on time :)
March 1st, 2019
Is it ok if I too join in ?
March 1st, 2019
@Dawn Of course it is Dawn - anyone can join in at any time. Even if someone misses the first few days, they could have their rainbow in an extra folder aside from their main one :)
March 1st, 2019
Have already taken & uploaded by blue photo. I am thinking of having general colour photos until Sunday and then every week have a different genre of photography to see can I find the colours in the different genres.
March 1st, 2019
Me too please 🙏
March 2nd, 2019
Exciting ☺
March 2nd, 2019
I'd love to try this- I have 2 young kids so sometimes get behind (on life in general, nevermind 365)- but I managed to keep up with flash of red last month, and I've started to really miss color!
March 2nd, 2019
I just seen this and my son got his driving permit today which I really want to use his photo but that might mess up the rainbow month? I don't know what to do any suggestions would be great
March 2nd, 2019
@melmarie3 Congrats to your son! I see you've posted your photo already, I don't think it will mess up your rainbow month if you just continue on, but if you wanted to you could edit with Picmonkey to incorporate some blue-ish tones? When I first started 365 I ended up getting Ace membership so that I could have spare photos and challenge photos in a second album so that might be an option?
March 2nd, 2019
I have Lightroom and ps. I could add blues. Thanks for the suggestion. I have been thinking if getting ace
March 2nd, 2019
I would like to try this too!
March 3rd, 2019
@m2016 do I need to post a photo each day to join the challenge? Or- if I get one in the right color, may I just add it for the appropriate day? I would like to try but I don’t think I can participate every day. Thank you- Elyse
March 3rd, 2019
@kchuk Hi Elyse - it's entirely up to you how you participate in the challenge. For the best effect for your finished calendar view at the end of the month, you would have an image for each day, but they don't have to be taken on the day you post them, so for example you might take five different coloured shots in one day and save some for later in the month. You can also use older shots you already have if they're in the colour you need to fill a space. But again, that's your call - if you just want to take shots whenever you can, that's fine too :)
March 4th, 2019
@m2016 Thank you! I’m having fun looking for each day’s color! I’m also enjoying everyone’s wonderful contributions! So much color!
March 5th, 2019
I would like to try this.
March 5th, 2019
I'll join in and will try my best. not much colour outdoors yet except for white (snow). can I copy some colourful pictures I posted over previous years. I don't get out much these days. the last time I participated I found some colourful items here at home.
March 5th, 2019
@bruni Hi Bruni - here are no rules about using older photos, it's entirely up to you and nobody will mind. It's a great challenge for making you take a second look at the things you laready have to see if they would work... I personally always find myself raiding the fridge for colourful fruit and veg on grocery shopping day or looking through my wardrobe (and my son's!) to see if there's anything colourful. And don't forget you can always do abstract shots or add some colour during editing.
March 6th, 2019
The pages of photos being posted are quite lovely to look at and it is interesting to see what people consider to be red or orange etc. Where does yellow end and orange begin then where does orange morph into red? And that's even before addressing the thorny question of blue vs indigo vs violet (or pink).
March 8th, 2019
Hi Mel..I started the rainbow2019 and was wondering, bc I started late I already have pictures in my default album. can I use my second album? so far I uploaded 3 pictures.
March 8th, 2019
@bruni Yes, you can use a second album - some prefer to do it that way so as to leave their main album free for their regular photos
March 8th, 2019
Thank you for all your advice, Mel.
March 8th, 2019
@gardencat It's always interesting to see the vast range of hues that come out of seven basic colour themes, and I often find myself wondering of my yellows are too orange or if my purple is purple enough lol... not to mention the variations in colour depending on what type of device the viewer is using...
March 8th, 2019
@bruni You're very welcome Bruni :)
March 16th, 2019
Since I managed the first half of March, I gather I can complete the second half as well, so I would ( officially) like to join this challenge, please
March 16th, 2019
I'm having fun with my first monthly challenge. 😃
March 16th, 2019
@momamo Welcome on board Monique!
@yogiw Glad you're enjoying it :)
March 21st, 2019
It is interesting to see how everyone does their rainbow month.
Write a Reply