Photo Frames

March 16th, 2019
Hi everyone,
I need to find out where I can download, or where I can find frames. I see so many lovely frames here, maybe someone can help me. Thanks in advance :-)
March 16th, 2019
As you're using Photoshop there are options are on there to create frames,
* this tutorial https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/how-to/add-border-frame-around-photo.html gives a way to place frames
and these options give you decorative frames
* https://photoblogstop.com/photoshop/creating-a-decorative-photo-frame-in-photoshop
* https://digital-photography-school.com/make-frames-borders-using-photoshop/

GIMP has a range of frames found under Filter -> Decor. I don't often use them as I am not sure they add to the image, I have been disappointed looking at some pictures on black here to find a white border that destroys that effect. I'm more likely to use them when I'm over processing something to rescue it.
March 16th, 2019
picmonkey has some
March 16th, 2019
I use photoscapex
March 16th, 2019
@ludwigsdiana Hi Diana...you inquired about one of mine recently used, so will answer you here. Frame was from an app called Snapseed. Frames are in the Tools menu.
March 16th, 2019
IColorama has a Preset - Border option, Snapseed has a Tool - Frames option. But one thing I like to do is to collect textures in an album. I can use those in any tool with layers to make a texture a base layer and then put my photo on it and shrink it leaving the frame width I prefer. Then my frame has the color and texture I selected.
March 16th, 2019
@shannejw Thanks so much for all the links Shanne, it is very helpful. I will have to work my way through them :-) @kali66 thanks Kali, I do not have picmonkey though ;-) @30pics4jackiesdiamond thanks Jackie, they did not have a size I am looking for ;-)
@amyk I have snapseed for at least 5 years and I have never thought of looking there, thanks so much Amy :-)
@shutterbug49 Thanks so much for your great idea, as I could not find what I want, I just put it on a texture. Do you do that in PS? It sounds rather tricky ;-)
March 16th, 2019
i like the mirror frame in ribbet as well as the confetti frame. if i want a frame on my photo before i post it, i process it in ribbet.
March 16th, 2019
@summerfield Thanks so much Vikki, I don't have Ribbet. I suppose I have too much of everything that has no great frames πŸ˜‰
March 16th, 2019
@ludwigsdiana - you can just go to the site and register for free. but then i looked again and the mirrored frame is a premium while the confetti is not. which means you will have to pay for an annual membership to access the mirrored frame. if you are already paying for one or two programs there is no point in paying for another one. although ribbet is a lot easier to use and in fact i use it more than my photoshop cc or photoshop elements.
March 16th, 2019
As an Ace member you have access to Picmonkey via the menu to the right of your posted picture. You do have to upload to 365 and then jump over to Picmonkey via the link to add the frame but it only takes a few minutes at the most. Picmonkey and Ribbet both have some very nice simple frames that you can adjust the width of so they don't overpower your picture. Ribbet has a very basic and free on line version that will have all you need if you're staying with a simple frame but Picmonkey has them too so you really don't need to travel far to find a good one! I find I like to "edge" my pictures. I use the basic black border frame. I set the inside border to zero and reduce the outside border to a thin line- just enough to make the picture look finished. Like Shanne, I prefer that people see the picture and not an over-powering frame. Hope this helps you in your quest.
March 16th, 2019
@summerfield I already have more than I can chew! Thanks for your input and help,, it is much appreciated. I surely will find a frame now 😊
March 16th, 2019
@olivetreeann I so apprreciate your input Ann, it does sound rather complicated but well worth trying out 😊
March 16th, 2019
@ludwigsdiana It's really not as hard as it sounds- and please feel free to bug me for a step by step process if that would help!
March 16th, 2019
@ludwigsdiana I use SuperimposeX. It is a super easy layering and masking tool. It works great for compositing. It’s an app on mobile phones and tablets. It costs about $5. It’s way cheaper and easier to learn than PS. Unlike PS it has a very specific purpose.
March 16th, 2019
@ludwigsdiana yes you do have picmonkey, it is free for ace members, once you upload your photo click the edit in picmonkey tag in the photo details box on the right side of the page, and it will take you to picmonkey. . take a look at it
March 17th, 2019
@kali66 I will try again Kali, I did some time ago and it did not work, Thanks .
@olivetreeann thanks so much, I might have to do that ;-)
@shutterbug49 Thanks for the info, I will give it a try ;-)
March 17th, 2019
@shutterbug49 I just checked and only have a Superimpose by Pankaj Goswami. It has a landscape and hotair ballon. I have a Samsung, do you maybe have an iphone?
March 17th, 2019
@ludwigsdiana Originally it was called Superimpose then SuperimposeX replaced it. It is by Pankaj Goswami and has a landscape hotair balloon icon. I do have an iPhone but it sounds like the same app. It has great tutorials.
March 17th, 2019
@olivetreeann Hi Ann, I went into picmonkey today to check if I could find a frame. Before I was done, I already had a comment. Is there a way to do it without any followers seeing it until I am done?
March 17th, 2019
@ludwigsdiana if you change your privacy to restricted to approved friends instead of public, then you can work on your photo in Pic monkey and when you’re done you can change your privacy back to public. Hope that helps.
March 17th, 2019
@ludwigsdiana Unfortunately I don't think so but I usually put something in the comment to let people know I'm not done with the picture yet- then I change it to my regular commentary when I am. Oh, but I see Kathy has given you an even better idea- so ignore mine!
March 18th, 2019
@radiogirl @olivetreeann Thanks ladies, your help is much appreciated :-)
March 18th, 2019
One of the other ways of creating a subtle frame as you were seeing on that quinoa picture from @lyndemc is to draw yourself those frames in Photoshop, That one is a black outline on a clear layer. You then add that layer when you've finished any processing. That way you can add sigs too, if you want to, as a sig on a clear layer. If you make all your pictures a standard size in post processing it makes it easy to add those layers as a final touch.
March 18th, 2019
@shannejw You are a star, I would love to do that, but don't know how. I am new to photoshop and would not know where to start. You on the other hand seem to be a pro. I did however manage to make a grunge frame from that last link you sent me. Took the whole morning :-( but it was worth it. Are there any instructions on how to do the thin line? If not, could you please mail the directions to me? I really do appreciate all your help and suggestions, kindest regards :-)
ludwigsdiana3@gmail.com
March 18th, 2019
I don't have Photoshop, but I do have GIMP, which is similar (from following Photoshop instructions to do things).

Looking at GIMP and trying to remember from last time I did this:
1. Add a new layer, select transparent,
2. use the rectangle tool to select the rectangle you want to draw;
3. Use the path tool to draw that rectangle - basically click on all the corners and it will join them up tidily;
4. On the path tool choose stroke and a colour you want, which should draw that line
5. Ctrl A to select all.

That should leave you with a rectangle drawn on that transparent layer.

To create a sig you again create a transparent layer and draw your sig on that transparent layer, however you want.

You could then delete the background layers and save that as a transparent frame.
March 19th, 2019
@shannejw Hi shanne, I am getting so frustrated. It does not work. I just get a very thick square line! The same happens with the second link you sent me. I have the latest version of photoshop, and maybe some steps are different, as I also get different masks than in the tutorials. Thanks so much for trying :-)
March 19th, 2019
Somewhere on the path tool there will be options to choose the thickness of the stroke line you draw by this method (the fill option just fills the box)

There are videos on how to draw shapes and alter them in Photoshop here: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/drawing-shapes.html

After the first video there are more linked and one of those looks to be what I was trying to describe.
March 25th, 2019
@shannejw Sorry to bug you again Shanne, but I need your help. I downloaded Gimp to see if I can get this fine line that I am after. It all works well, but how do I delete the background and save the frame? There are a few save options. Where does it get saved too? I have so many different programs now and it is quite confusing. I have frames coming out of my ears, but not the fine line inside that I want. Many thanks for your support ;-)
March 25th, 2019
@shannejw Ps, Photoshop does not have the option of a clear/transparent layer ;-)
March 25th, 2019
I draw those lines on a new layer that has an alpha channel to make it transparent. To create a new layer - Layers -> New Layer, right click the layer you want to use and -> Add Alpha Channel

Having created the layers I want, I then delete the layers that I started with, by right clicking the layers I want to delete and choosing Delete Layer from the options. Then you File -> Export As and save your frame as you want. To resize the layer, I use Image -> Scale Image

I did know GIMP did some things that Photoshop didn't but thought Photoshop has transparent options: https://www.wikihow.com/Add-Transparency-in-Photoshop
March 25th, 2019
Shanne you're a star! Thanks ever so much, I will check it out tomorrow. I just looked at your profile and discovered that you are a pro! Some awesome images you have, no wonder you know so much. Looking forward to seeing more from you. Once again, thanks so much for your input and help. As you have realised by now, I am new to everything as far as photography is concerned. Had it not been for the helpful 365'ers and you, I might have given it up 😊
March 26th, 2019
@shannejw Once again I am at your mercy Shanne! I have just spent two hours of trying to figure it all out. As I have the latest version of photoshop, I cannot do as the link you sent suggested. I found a different way, but cannot save it. will still have to look into it. Saving in Gimp is also giving me a headache! Firstly, how do I get rid of the marching ants before saving? When I click export, it says no selection in the preview box on the right. In the drop down, there are so many boxes to tick off, what do I do there? When I did export one and opened it, it was just a black square. So sorry to be a bother, but you seem to be the only one that knows what I want. Once again, thanks so much for your patience and help. I hope I won't have to bother you again ;-)
March 26th, 2019
The marching ants are showing you a selection. To get rid of them you need to select all - Ctrl A, which should solve the no selection bit. My frame looks as if it has a pale grey chequerboard behind it.

I use Export as, and if it's something I'm going to keep using, save as a .png or .xcf file. .png you can open in most photo software, .xcf you can only open in GIMP

This is a rough attempt to show it working - two extra layers, one with the frame, the other with my name as a sig

And this is what the frame looks like on its own. If I was doing this properly, I'd fiddle around to get it looking prettier. Exported as a .jpg

March 26th, 2019
@shannejw The alpha channel on my pc is not highlighted, so I chose transparency. I have just tried saving again, with no success! Everything works as you say, until I click the export button! It says no preview to save. What am I forgetting there? I also do not know where to save it to. If you were to live closer I would send you flowers ;-)
March 26th, 2019
I save to either a folder in Pictures I've made called Textures and Frames, which is where I've been building a collection of textures and backgrounds as overlays. It's where I have saved skies and sunsets for using later. There's a sort of frame in there from a paving slab where the edges are the frame and the slab gives a texture, which I inverted. Or I Export As into the daily photo folder, stored by month (so March2019), because that's how I file photos. You can see that frame is called something very boring because I didn't rename it as I uploaded.

I tried various ways of saving and was fine using Export or Export As, both .jpg and .png - is it that you've not got a folder set up to save it?
March 26th, 2019
@shannejw Thanks so much, I feel rather guilty bothering you all the time. In the right box when I want to export it say no preview! What does that mean? Do I have to put something in there?
March 26th, 2019
I don't know how you're getting no preview - what happens if you just keep exporting it?

(I've just tried to replicate what you are getting and have found a whole load of things I can create - File -> Create and then there are buttons and logos. All sorts of sigs I suspect)
March 26th, 2019
@shannejw It won't go out as changes have not been saved. Not home now, will play around again later. Thanks so much.
March 26th, 2019
I actually require lots of frame and of different type can you help me out? assured me help only.
March 26th, 2019
@shannejw I think I know what the problem is. I have the latest version 2.10 which many seem to have a problem with. The wb is full of complaints. The whole programme is black and white and almost everything is not highlighted e.g. in layer I cannot make a new layer! I just sent the a mail to find out whats up. Otherwise I will uninstall and try to find an older version 😊
March 26th, 2019
I'm using GIMP 2:10 on Windows 10. It's an upgrade to the last laptop version.
March 26th, 2019
@shannejw That's strange, is it also all black and white?
March 26th, 2019
not totally - black/grey screen, white lettering. Colours when I pull up colour screens
March 26th, 2019
@shannejw When you go to layer, are there only 3 items highlighted? I cannot make a new layer.
March 26th, 2019
Stack, mask, transparency and transform? But I don't have a picture. I have to start a new picture from File -> New or Open and then I can add layers. Or I can right click on a picture in my layers menu. I have the screen set up with tools on the left and layers on the right.
March 26th, 2019
@shannejw All I want is to get a transparent layer with the thin stroke. I will check out and see if there are any tutorials. You've been so helpful and patient, I will just have to figure it out now. Thanks ever so much 🌻
Write a Reply