Light weight camera

June 24th, 2019
I took my D90 on my walk last night and it really weighed me down. Didn't help that it was hot and humid. I just want a light weight point and shot to take on my walks. I know you will say use my cell phone. Well my cell phone is older and buying a new one would be an expensive proposition. I am thinking of getting a new one next year as my big purchase for that year. My tablet is large and that doesn't work for walks - I have tried.

I like the Nikon Coolpix as I see it on line but not sure it is light weight. I always loved my Canon point and shot and the Canon Power shot looks good. Let me know what you think.

First it must take good pictures - second it must be light weight - third it must be easy to carry.
June 24th, 2019
I’ve had three Panasonic LUMIX point and shoot cameras and have been very pleased with all of them. Small, lightweight and great zoom.
June 24th, 2019
I'm currently using a Panasonic Lumix with 30x zoom and macro built in. It has a lot of the features of a DSLR - choices about shooting in manual, aperture or shutter priority. The Panasonic shoots in RAW, should you want that and has the option of triplets (the reasons why I bought Panasonic this time instead of the Canon equivalent again) I do this so I have a pocket sized camera that I carry everywhere. You can check what I'm getting out of it currently on my project.
June 24th, 2019
I'm another Lumix fan. I had a small Lumix, I think it was the predecessor of the Panasonic LUMIX TZ90 Digital Compact. Absolutely brilliant, lightweight, beautiful Leica lens and lots of different modes and, best of all, great for low light without need of a flash. Mine died the death when it landed in the sea, so definitely not waterproof! I now use a Lumix FX1000 which I got when I decided my DSLR was too heavy to carry around with all the lenses. This one has an extremely good zoom to 400 optical(or 800 digital but you loose too much at that range). I love this and travel with it all the time, it is much lighter than a DSLR but still a bit bulky, the TZ 90 is handbag size and really good.
June 24th, 2019
@kjarn @judithdeacon @shannejw I should have mentioned I would like to keep price at $300 or less
June 24th, 2019
As others have said Panasonic Lumix are excellent cameras, I have a TZ-90 and I love it. It slips into any pocket and is a quality build all round. Panasonic now own Leica and the camera has a Leica branded lens. Most of my everyday photos are done on this camera although I do like Fujifilm and have a Fujifilm X-T2 which had interchangeable lenses as opposed to the fixed zoom on the Panasonic. One nice touch to the TZ-90 is that when you turn off the camera a protective shutter closes over it thus preventing pocket dust etc harming the lens. I wouldn't be without it!
June 24th, 2019
I have the Lumix TZ 80 in my pocket at all times and would not want to be without it. It has so many possibilities to get the shot you want. I should imagine the TZ 90 is the successor.
June 24th, 2019
I'm using the TZ-60, which is a slightly older model. Looking at Amazon, the TZ-70 is still available and cheaper than the TZ-80 or TZ-90.
June 24th, 2019
I love my Canon Power Shots. I own 2. Neither is specially heavy although they are not new models.
June 24th, 2019
I adore my Lumix DMC SZ7,point sand click. It lives in my bag or pocket most of the time, has an ok zoom and it takes great photos- despite me. It's a few years old, but has long battery life and so far been quite robust.

**Also is it the camera, or the photographer that takes good pictures??!!! You never praise a cook's oven
June 24th, 2019
I also have a LUMIX LMC-LF1 camera which I've had for 7 years. My problem is I've had a stroke in the last 2 1/2 years. This can only operate with one hand. The screen is tricky to see with the camera body being held up with the same hand and at the same time operating the shutter button. It is possible to take good photos despite the hazards - but I wonder if there is a better way?
Can anyone recommend a suitable small camera. I should warn you that I am confined to a wheelchair and nearly aged 90!! (tablets or smart phones are unusable with one hand functioning alone)
June 24th, 2019
I only shoot with the Panasonic Lumix which fits in my pocket and I carry it everywhere. It is the TZ70 and I wouldn't be without it. Big bonus is that it shoots raw if you want it to.
June 25th, 2019
I like the Canon G5X... but it's twice your budget. The Sony RX100 series is good - I have the Mk IV - but above your budget again I fear.
June 25th, 2019
@kjarn @shannejw @judithdeacon @allsop @ludwigsdiana @rhernan @30pics4jackiesdiamond @oldie @helenhall @vignouse Thank you all. I also asked the question on a couple of my Scrapbooking FB Groups and Lumix seems to be the go to choice. So I have ordered and will receive by Thursday (my next non work day) my new https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071R6JRZZ/ref=twister_B07S1XNZQH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Yeah I went over my budget. I often budget lower knowing I will get carried away a little. Wish me luck.
June 25th, 2019
Good luck Joan!
June 25th, 2019
Very wise choice Joan, enjoy your new camera.
June 25th, 2019
Enjoy!!!
June 25th, 2019
@oldie I have been thinking of your problem and I put "tripod for wheel chair" into the search at Amazon and found various ones at different prices. Wonder if they would work for you.
June 25th, 2019
@joansmor It sounds great Joan, we will soon the the proof. good luck and have fun :-)
June 26th, 2019
Sony a6000 + kit lens or Sony a6000 + 30mm macro lens which is also a good walkabout lens - both are very light and I love them.
June 26th, 2019
Oooh, nice choice :)
I have been using the Lumix TZ-70 as an "everyday" for a few months. Much easier to carry around and takes great photos as well as having an impressive zoom for a little camera.
I am sure you will have lots of enjoyment with your new Lumix :)
Good luck!
June 26th, 2019
I'm sure your Lumix will do you well - I've had a couple too!
June 26th, 2019
@oldie perhaps to add to putting your camera on a tripod (with a ball head), it could have a tilting screen so no matter where you point your camera you can still see what it's directed at
June 27th, 2019
I just did this on myself and it's an interesting decision tree. I had a d60 and I found my cell phone was taking better pictures ( i was using a kit lens). If that sounds familiar, then any pixel 2 or 3 or a newer iPhone will shoot better pictures in general. any DSLR will probably be out of your price range but you can get an older Sony RX100 (with a 1inch sensor) for $400 new, and I think that's your sweet spot. if you're concerned that is not going to be tough enough for you the Olympus TG 5 is an fantastic camera that I've used for many years with excellent results.

if you have a yacht that's so full of money it's about to sink I would suggest a full-frame Sony mirrorless or a lecia.

Probably at the sub $300 price point though you're looking at something used. other than that you have to decide what you want to give up for the weight since there is really no free lunch as far as cameras go right now.
June 27th, 2019
@teriyakih My new PS arrives today getting a lumix
June 28th, 2019
I like having a small, lightweight camera, that can fit in a shirt pocket. I've used a Nikon Coolpix P340 for several years, until it died this spring. Great camera. According to Amazon, the new version of this is the A900.

My P340 died not long after I'd made a pretty big investment in a new "big" camera, so I'm without a pocket camera right now (and missing it).

EDIT: I should've read the comments first, I see you already made a choice! Looks good, hope it works well for you!
June 29th, 2019
Thanks for all your advice I brought the Lumix as many of you suggested I used it one day and now I have a systems error message.
Write a Reply