Fantasy Dinner Party

May 23rd, 2020
Just for fun how about a version of the fantasy dinner party game? Name 5 photographers who you would invite to a dinner party. They can be from any era. Here are mine to start us off:

Don McCullin
Abbas
Sebastião Salgado
Ranita Roy
Pete Souza

Also name one guest who you would like to invite as a model to be photographed by your dinner guests.

My guest would be H.H. The Dalai Lama

HAVE FUN.

May 23rd, 2020
@summerfield
@northy
@mona65
@quietpurplehaze
@casablanca

Guest!! Michael Kenna

Hope this is allowed, I'm not at all educated on famous photographers!
May 23rd, 2020
Hmmm.. ok... Ansel Adams, Annie Liebowitz, Vivian Maier, Henri Cartier Bresson, Edward Weston...

(Really kinda random... these were names that sprang to mind... there are a couple whose names I can’t remember but whose work I find fascinating)

I’m not much of a conversationalist so I’d prolly just sit back and listen...

As for who I’d invite to model... hmmm... Einstein, maybe?
May 23rd, 2020
@30pics4jackiesdiamond bahaaaaa! It would definitely be a fun party!
May 23rd, 2020
@30pics4jackiesdiamond Anything is allowed! :-)
May 23rd, 2020
@northy Photographing Einstein would be fun!
May 23rd, 2020
Clemens Kalischer, Robert Capa, Joe Rosenthal, Yousuf Karsh and Margaret Bourke-White.

Actually met Kalischer once, about six years before he died. Stumbled on his studio in Massachusetts completely by accident.

My model is Steve McQueen, simply because I want him at my dinner party :)
May 23rd, 2020
@spanishliz No better reason!
May 23rd, 2020
@30pics4jackiesdiamond
Now that made me smile a big smile! I am not very au fait with famous photographers either, but I know the names I grew up with here in London.

David Bailey
Patrick Litchfield
Lord Snowdon
Cecil Beaton
Ansel Adams

Methinks that would make for a lot of testosterone around the table, but it could be interesting to see how they all got on.

So many models I could wish to have at the party, but if I have to choose, how about one lady and one gent:
Audrey Hepburn
Albert Einstein (totally with Northy on that one - love him!)

Wouldn't that make an interesting combination!
May 23rd, 2020
This is timely! I'm doing a diploma, and we're studying auteurs for this paper.
My guests would be:
Michael Kenna
Karl Blossfeldt
Andris Apse
Maggie Taylor
Miki Asai

My model is Alexander Dreymon, but he would have to be dressed in full costume as the Viking Uhtred of Bebbanburg - LOL
May 24th, 2020
Like @yorkshirekiwi I've been studying auteurs for a Diploma. My top five would be:
Michael Kenna
Annie Liebovitz
Imogen Cunningham
Vivian Maier
David Bailey

So many people I'd like to invite as a model, either to be able to chat to them or to photograph. But in the end I've chosen Mother Teresa.

As it's a fantasy/dream dinner can I also sneak in my eldest daughter because I haven't seen her for 18 months as she's currently living in the UK. I know she'd be prepared to model for us as well if we needed her to :-)
May 24th, 2020
@30pics4jackiesdiamond - cake and ice cream for dessert and some flummery?
May 24th, 2020
edward weston, michael elliott, imogen cunningham, tessa traeger, and robert freeman

and because @northy and i are almost neighbours, she's invited, too.

our guest model would have to be john lennon.
May 24th, 2020
@30pics4jackiesdiamond those are famous photographers on 365!
May 24th, 2020
mary ellen mark
annie leibovitz
robert frank
garry winogrand
robert cappa

my guest would be clint eastwood or possibly a biker...they always seem to have interesting faces but clint eastwood has an amazing face!
May 24th, 2020
Well, it's a dinner party, and so if we want the best food and wine, it has to be an advantage to invite the French. My five photogs would be:

Henri-Cartier Bresson
Willy Ronis
Robert Doisneau
Georges Brassai
Marc Riboud

All male, arty and French, it's just possible that the conversation might get a teeny bit pretentious. So our model has to be a woman, strong-minded and capable of bringing everything down to Earth, glamorous enough to keep these Frenchmen on a short leash. Needs to speak French obviously, and because of the era these guys lived in, must look fantastic in black and white. Who else could it be but Katharine Hepburn? And if she decided to bring hubby Spencer Tracy along, surely nobody would object.
May 24th, 2020
@allsop Andrew I'm writing a list of all these photographers mentioned, and will educate myself during lockdown!!

May 24th, 2020
@30pics4jackiesdiamond It will make a formidable galaxy of photographic stars and, as you point out, a good way to learn about photographers who may just have something to say to us through their work.
May 24th, 2020
What an interesting idea Andrew looking at the images that have influenced me and many others I would invite
Ansel Adams
Sebastião Salgado
Lee Miller
Dorothea Lange
George Hurrell
hopefully as interesting to talk to as thier wonderful images,
also Audrey Hepburn my model to photograph.
May 24th, 2020
@pcoulson Like your choice Peter. How about a guest for a model? Can be anyone at all.
May 24th, 2020
@pcoulson Sorry I missed Audrey Hepburn!!! How could I?
May 24th, 2020
What an interesting question Andrew. Well, I have never been to a dinner party and I have never hosted one. I would have been so intimidated by the people above mentioned by my 365 friends, that I would be a nervous wreck and could hardly say a word, if I ever had to go to such a dinner party. But I would like to sit around a campfire, drink dark bitter tea with the following photographers and listen to their stories and experiences. Each of them would also make a good model.
Robert Bösch
Paul Nicklen
Bruce Springsteen
Arnold Odermatt
Laurent Ballesta

Thanks for the "invitation" JackieR @30pics4jackiesdiamond , that would be an awesom round.
May 24th, 2020
@mona65 Sitting around a campfire and drinking dark bitter tea is fine by me! In fact by my experience of camp fires, stories will flow, songs will be sung, and friendships will be made and cemented. :-)
May 24th, 2020
My photographer choices would be Galen Rowell, Ansel Adams, Dorthea Lange, David Hockney, Steve McCurry. I would add an iPhone photographer @shookchung also. For a model, I would have Rachel Carson. And I would be better at a casual barbeque than at a formal dinner party.
May 24th, 2020
Lots of interesting photographers already chosen, but no one has mentioned Eric Hosking, I am sure he could keep you enthralled all night long.

And the model ?

His camera equipment !!
May 24th, 2020
an interesting proposition!

while i admire many of the famous photographers already mentioned, and love their work, i decided to focus on some less well-known people whose images have really influenced my own pictures, the people who've inspired me to give something a go, the people whose work always moves me ...

april milani and helen whittle, both of whom i met on 365

brooke shaden and joel robison, fav raves on instagram

sally mann, pretty well-known i admit!, and whose exhibition in washington dc moved me to tears

the model would be the novelist margaret atwood. i would love to meet her and i think she has an interesting face

thank you andrew for posing the question - i have really enjoyed thinking about it, and reading other people's answers. now for a lockdown treat, can you wave a wand and make it happen for real? much obliged ;)
May 25th, 2020
Oh, my, that's hard.
Ansel Adams, Mathew Brady, and whichever photographer took the Depression Era photo of my grandfather standing on the back of a car with his fiddle.

And, I'd like for my grandfather to be the model.
May 25th, 2020
Nice question, That would be my guests:

- Harry Gruyeart
- Lee Miller
- Garry Winogrand
- Gilles Peress
- Saul Leiter
May 25th, 2020
@vincent24 Thanks Vincent for your suggestions. Any nomination for a model? Can be anyone.
May 25th, 2020
I think it would be zing to get whole Group f/64. But that would be 11 photographers, so the challenge would be picking 5.

Ansel Adams is the easy pick. then:
John Paul Edwards
Edward Weston
Imogen Cunningham
Sonya Noskowiak

May 25th, 2020
@homeschoolmom
"the Depression Era photo of my grandfather standing on the back of a car with his fiddle."

Do you have a link to the image? I'd like to see that!
May 25th, 2020
Such a good question I did some searching on the Internet.
Here are mine:

Art Wolfe
Ted Gore
Paul Nguren
Kerry Mark Leibowitz
Hans Kruse
May 25th, 2020
This is a fun question! I think I would choose

Tim Walker
Madame Yevonde
Irving Penn
Robert Mapplethorpe
Gordon Parks

and the guest would be Serena Williams
May 26th, 2020
@rumpelstiltskin wow Tim Walker is really different! thanks for introducing him to me! don't know if he's been used as an artist challenge but that would be fun!
Write a Reply