Lensbaby

January 14th, 2021
I would like to try out a lensbaby as I have seen so many wonderful posts here. I find it quite facinating, especially what Clare @pistache has been shooting. Any suggestions which one to start with would be highly appreciated.
January 14th, 2021
@ludwigsdiana I'll be folliwing this thread as I think i neeeeeeeed one too, but no idea how the work
January 14th, 2021
I found this excellent product description and demonstration video from the Lensbaby company: 'Which Lensbaby is Right for Me?'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdqIYrdmP-E

January 14th, 2021
so glad you like some of my lensbaby stuff, diana! @fotoblah i think that's a pretty good overview. i would add that some of the lenses (sol 45/22 and trio) have a fixed aperture, whereas most of them don't. also, i think the effects are more pronounced if you have a DSLR rather than a micro 4/3 (which i have) - except for sol 22 and trio, which are specifically designed for micro 4/3. i started with the sweet 35 btw. happy to give any more info here - or anyone is welcome to email me on nicola@gadsbyonline.com if you prefer ;) hopefully other lensbaby fans will join in :)
January 14th, 2021
@fotoblah Thanks so much for the info :-)
January 14th, 2021
@pistache I love all your lensbaby shots Clare, they are so different! You always mention what you used, but I have forgotten which effect I prefer :-)
January 14th, 2021
well it can be rather confusing ;) i think it depends what you most want to use it for. as the video says, they're all good for macro, but are also excellent lenses for smaller aperture stuff as well. if you want to create that trademark lozenge-type bokeh with off-centre focus, you want one of the edges or the sweets. these are the optic swap lenses, for which you need the composer pro as the base lens, and then you put in the optic (the edge or the sweet). you can also use these with lb macro converters, which work really well. if you're happy without the ability to tilt the lens, go for one of the velvets, which give you straight-on focus, with lovely blur / glow depending on how wide open you choose to shoot. the sol and trio are stand-alone fixed aperture lenses, and therefore a bit cheaper. i think the trio is designed purely for use with m4/3 lenses; with the sol, you would choose the 45 for a DSLR and the 22 for m4/3. i'm not sure if the lb store in portland is open at the moment, but if it is, their customer service is super-helpful on the phone. otherwise you would be able to email them with your queries ...
January 14th, 2021
I've been so very happy with my SOL45. I also found this blog a bit ago and like their take ( https://www.clickinmoms.com/blog/how-to-use-a-lensbaby-your-starter-guide/ )
January 15th, 2021
@joysabin Thanks so much, that is really very interesting :-)
January 15th, 2021
The composer pro with sweet optic is the ‘standard’ lens any which will give the characteristic Lensbaby look (I think) I have the old versions with drop in aperture discs, the double glass, single glass, plastic, pinhole, wide, super wide and edge optics. I would start with the composer and sweet 35 or 50 if I was to start again.
January 15th, 2021
@spanner Thanks for the info. I have no idea what is needed, do I need the composer or can I only get the sweet 35? I believe there are also rings that fit different size lenses e.g. I will need a 55ml. Are these included or must they be ordered seperately. I tried to check on their website, rather daunting for a beginner.
January 15th, 2021
You will need the composer, which is the main “body” and attaches to your camera. It provides the movement enabling you to control your focus point. The optics fit into the composer. These are the “character” of the lens. I believe they sell them together and you can add to your optic collection. So you are probably best getting a composer and sweet combo. The sweet does not need the discs as there is an aperture ring on it. Then build up optics. It is quite overwhelming. Do as much YouTube research as you can.
January 16th, 2021
@spanner Thanks so much, this is very helpful. I might have made the mistake and only buy the lens ;-)
January 16th, 2021
@joysabin I have been looking into all options now. I quite like the tilt lens sol 45. Do they all need a composer?
January 18th, 2021
@30pics4jackiesdiamond @pistache @spanner @joysabin Hi everyone, I just found out that I cannot use Lensbaby with my bridge camera! All I can use is Omni, just not sure if it is worth it? What do you think Clare? I am so upset about it! Thanks so much for your input. I need a new camera 🙄
January 18th, 2021
hi diana - i tried to describe above the different lenses that lensbaby offer - that's certainly disappointing not to be able to use a lensbaby with your camera :( the omni are glass or plastic 'wands' that you hold (or attach, with a magnetic ring) in front of your camera to affect the light in a certain way for an artistic look. they're much cheaper than the lenses of course ... maybe it is time for that new camera!
Write a Reply