Flash of Red February Moves into Week 2 on Monday, February 6th

February 4th, 2023
I hope you enjoyed the search for circles as we started Flash of Red February.
I’m giving you an extra day's notice in order to introduce what might be a new subject for some of you as a photographers. Found Objects.

Found Objects as a subject matter may not have always been defined as a traditional art form, but any object that has been found worthy of artistic endeavors has been around since the first caveman picked up a stone and carved an image into a cave wall. This form of art is completely open to interpretation, has strong roots in art history, and can be easily translated into photography. In fact, if you type “Found Object Art” into the search line on your computer, you’ll find a number of definitions and approaches that most likely will end up confusing you! Picasso is attributed as the first to incorporate “found objects” into his artwork, but Marcel DuChamp is considered the artist who perfected this approach by using a controversial subject matter. By doing so, DuChamp hoped to show the intellectual side of the artist’s mind, not just technical ability. Found Objects in Art continued to grow as popular subject matter in the art world through artists like Salvador Dali and Jackson Pollock who introduced objects into surroundings where they seemed out of place. But this approach to art really took off in the 1960’s with Andy Warhol’s pop art. Using more mundane and common subjects such as a Campbell’s Soup can, Warhol propelled “Found Art” into the mainstream art community and unquestionably sealed its acceptance as an art form there.

So, what exactly is a found object? A found object is an object—often utilitarian, manufactured, or naturally occurring—that was not originally designed for an artistic purpose, but has been repurposed in an artistic context. In today’s world that object can range from a nail or acorn found randomly on the ground to an old photograph of a loved one sitting on top of their favorite book. The subject matter is truly determined by what catches your eye and has meaning to you as an artist. Found objects can also be presented as sparsely as a minimalist composition (said acorn on top of a rock), all the way to photographing it in the environment in which it was found (such as a random slip of paper amongst pine needles on the forest floor). However, as Nikki (Nicole), a writer and photographer on BeFunky.com writes, “Found Object Photography has become popular across social media almost overnight. For this type of photography, it may seem easy to simply find something ugly and throw a few filters on it to make it more appealing. But, to be successful with this aesthetic and to stay true to the Found Object philosophy, your photos should have some type of motivation behind them.”

In other words, when you’re searching for subject matter this week, be on the look-out for something to feature in your photo that may usually get passed over as a subject but strikes you as something worth capturing. However, don’t over-think it. Perhaps the easiest way to find your subject is to think of your photo as saying, “Look what I found!” And the way you present it is completely up to you. You can set it up as a studio-style shot, assemble the object yourself, or take it where it’s found, post-process and add a texture, or leave it be, but remember, it must be in black and white. As was stated in the first paragraph, the interpretation of “Found Object Art” is wide-open, so don’t overwhelm yourself with how you should shoot; shoot what may seem common but still stands out to you. Or maybe something will catch your eye when you’re taking that daily walk. Either way, you’ll have “found” your subject. Most of all, have fun!

This segment runs from February 6th through 12th. The tag remains FOR2023.

Ann LeFevre
@Olivetreeann

If you ‘d like to do a little more reading on the history and definition of “Found Objects” you can do so here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_object
February 4th, 2023

Finger picks are generally associated with music, but on this day they became the subject of my photo when I saw where Jeff had left them in between practicing songs.
February 4th, 2023
Thanks for this and the links to more Found Objects Art info. Gives me a few extra days to get some ideas.
February 4th, 2023
@gardencat You're welcome Joanne- that was the idea!
February 4th, 2023
Thank you Ann!
February 4th, 2023
Thank you Ann. This is a new concept to me so all the background is helpful! It sounds a bit like a cross between the EOTB and Mundane challenges, in a way. Should be interesting!
February 4th, 2023
Thanks Ann!
February 4th, 2023
I typed in Found Objects and found this easy read from Tate Modern
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/f/found-object

Think it'll be a week of fossicked finds from me this week!!
February 4th, 2023
This should be fun!
February 4th, 2023
Thank you for the explanation and links, Ann! I’ll start looking around for ideas!
February 4th, 2023
@ljmanning Yes- I thought so too. See Jackie's comment for some more reading if you're interested.

@njmom3 @radiogirl You're welcome (o:

@30pics4jackiesdiamond Thanks Jackie- I remember seeing the name of this museum mentioned in a couple of the articles I read.

@spanishliz I hope so!

@cristinaledesma33 You're welcome Christina. See Jackie's link for further reading if you're interested.
February 6th, 2023
@olivetreeann Thank you for the information. It will be challenging but fun. Could you please add me to list. :)
February 6th, 2023
@30pics4jackiesdiamond Thanks for the link Jackie!
February 6th, 2023
@olivetreeann Thanks for the new challenge Ann! I've been participating in the first week of circles. I've joined 365 Project only recently so this is my first time with Flash of February. Could you add me to your group list please?
February 7th, 2023
@pamalama Will do Pam! Thanks for joining in!
@lizgooster Certainly! And welcome to 365 Liz!
February 9th, 2023
Somehow you missed me
February 10th, 2023
@skipt07 So, I did- my apologies! I've added you in for this week.
Write a Reply