The Opera House by suesouthwood

The Opera House

The Opera House in Tunbridge Wells was built in 1902 and had a capacity to seat 1,100 people. However, it has had a chequered history. In the 1930's it was turned into a cinema, was bombed in WWII and renovated and reopened in 1949. In the 1960's it became a bingo hall, and in the 1990's until the present day it has been owned and run by JD Wetherspoon as a public house.
However, there are occasional operatic performances still hosted in the building, and at certain times of the year there are guided tours.
Leave a Comment
Sign up for a free account or Sign in to post a comment.