Chicago

August 17th, 2017
care to point me to your shots of Chicago?

i'll be in Chicago for a couple of days and wondering if anyone has any specific suggestions for where to take the camera... i think we're staying somewhere near the bean, and we do have a river cruise planned... plus i hope to take an architecture walk... and i want to see the L :)

that said, i'll be a bit limited in what i can do as i will be with my family and my kids are not a fan of sight seeing ;p

the other question i had is whether it would be worth bringing my long lens (40 - 150mm) or will i likely be able to make do with the 12-40 and the fish eye... i tend to think that for city walk abouts wide angle is better (not to mention easier and lighter to lug about), but am a bit hesitant to limit myself... thoughts?
August 17th, 2017
For some inspiration... (i never been to Chicago myself...)
https://365project.org/tags/chicago
August 17th, 2017
I was in Chicago for a few days this spring to attend a wedding...had some time to wander. This was taken near the zoo. The parks and waterfront are lovely.
Also did the architectural boat tour a few years ago...great tour, if you can, I recommend it highly (not sure if that is the river trip you refer too.
I had a small camera with me...didn't want to have all that gear. Good luck, have fun...oh and don't forget the museums...Chicago is really nice city.
August 18th, 2017
There are amazing views from Sears Tower (I think it's called Willis Tower now) if you go up to the observation deck. Navy Pier is pretty cool with beautiful views of Lake Michigan. The bean and the park near it are fabulous.
August 18th, 2017
Check out the Crown Fountain. It is in Millennium Park along with Cloud Gate (Bean).
August 18th, 2017
Living in Philadelphia, I tend to walk around my 20 and 35 most days and am not sure how I would use something bigger. The color of Lake Michigan is amazing and I think you have covered what I would suggest.
August 18th, 2017
Don't miss Buckingham Fountain...
August 18th, 2017
@taffy - I am thinking that you might have some thoughts? ;) Only if time permits.
August 18th, 2017
From my limited experience, I really enjoyed the Bean. The river cruise is very fun. Personally, I loved the Tiffany Dome in the Chicago Cultural Center, where a fisheye lens is brilliant for capturing them (but the family might be bored). https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/chicago_culturalcenter-tiffanydome.html
Another super-cool view of Chicagoland is the observatory in the Hancock Tower, now 360 Chicago. We took tripods up during the blue hour and had some real fun capturing the views to the north, west and south. If you have adventurous boys, they can lean out over the street, on glass, 1000 feet up. Ack!! Link is here: http://www.360chicago.com.
Hope this helps... enjoy your trip!
August 18th, 2017
PS - I am a "nervous Nellie," that I might not have a lens when I need it. I would probably bring the long lens. That being said, I suspect that you won't have a lot of chances to use it.
August 18th, 2017
@rosiekerr LOL -- yep, had lots of thoughts, shared via email! You've hit some of the highlights. And I totally forgot about 360chicago which the kids would like, I would think. Lincoln Park Zoo and butterfly house might be of interest to the kids, but I noticed MIra had just been to the zoo so photographically it might not be as interesting (though the grounds are as noted above).
August 18th, 2017
@taffy Oh, very good. I thought you would have some ideas. :)
August 18th, 2017
Thanks for all the ideas guys... so far it's been awesome.... early morning walk along the lake... the bean... the BP pedestrian bridge... hopefully worked off the deep dish pizza from last night ;p. And then just came back from the river architecture cruise which was excellent... and had some bonus photo ops of the blue bombers along the way :)

@rosiekerr is that glass walkway the thing they call the eyelash? We saw that from the river boat... I'm not great with heights but I'd love to try it if I could get someone to come with me... oh, and I did bring the long lens and was glad to have it on the riverboat :)

@taffy @jeetee @homeschoolmom @granagringa @vincent24
August 18th, 2017
@northy Glad you had some deep dish pizza. Not a sight, but something you can't miss! LOL!
August 19th, 2017
You're in Chicago -- and we're not?!? Enjoy -- and so sorry to miss seeing you. Maybe @ukandie! is around for an evening photowalk to get the skyline from the northside?
Write a Reply