anyone shooting the eclipse

August 19th, 2017
I should have thought of this way before now, but I can't figure out what to do as far as shooting the eclipse. I have an assortment of nd filters and the like but not a dedicated solar filter. I was thinking about just shooting the full eclipse in which case I wouldn't need a filter right?

August 19th, 2017
If it's fully eclipsed at 100% you should be able to photograph it without a filter. The news said you could even take your protective glasses off during this time. But, to put them back on as soon as the sun starts peeking around the moon again. We are in the 94% zone, so I'm trying to figure out what to do as well.
August 19th, 2017
I will be shooting with stacked ND filters (10 and 6), and adjusting the aperture as needed to balance exposure. At least, that's the plan... :)
August 19th, 2017
I he that the sky is clear on Monday, which the weather machine say will happen, but I have two 400nd filters that I am going to try. I have two days to pratice. Oh, Seattle area is suppose to be 95%. All variable traffic signs are telling every on going to Oregon to experience the delays.
August 19th, 2017
This is my photos of the Solar Eclipse in Cairns Australia in 2012. I did not use any filters what so ever, we just had a bit of cloud at the beginning of the Solar Eclipse. Just my SLR Canon camera, my tripod and using Auto setting. I was just a beginner then and still now using Auto or Landscape setting. Good luck.

August 19th, 2017
I've traveled to Challis, ID and I'll have totality for 1 min 13 sec. I have two camera set-ups with solar filters. One rig has a 500mm+1.4 teleconverter+1.5x in camera crop for a 1050mm effective lens. This will be used for basic telephoto shots prior, during and after C1 through C4. The second rig will have a telephoto set to 400mm and will be used to hopefully capture a time-lapse at 3min prior, during totality, then 3min afterwards. The plan is to capture images every 3 sec for the time-lapse. If successful it will capture the eclipse event in a single FX sensor frame. Filters need to be removed during totality so this process of running two set-ups is going to be challenge. It should be fun!
August 19th, 2017
@mikegifford good luck Mike, i am looking forward to seeing what you (all ) get
August 19th, 2017
will it damage the camera to shoot sans filter? I'm going to head out today to do a practice run. The boys in the group have, of course, located a brewery from which to view the festivities.
August 19th, 2017
@leestevo these are fantastic
August 19th, 2017
@aponi I've heard that it can, though I've seen a lot of conflicting reports about what types of cameras would be damaged (cellphone, point-and-shoot, DSLR) and what protection is needed for each type of camera. Some say a solar eclipse viewer is fine and others say it must be a photography filter.

Its made me so worried I don't know if I'll shoot the sun until totality. I can't risk my camera getting any more damaged.
August 20th, 2017
@mikegifford I am not worthy! :) Looking forward to seeing the results.
August 20th, 2017
I am heading down to the "path of totality," which is about an hour south of me. I am going try to shoot the moment of totality... no special filters and nothing complicated. 70-300mm lens on an EM-1 Oly. Honestly, I am expecting an epic fail, because I am not super-skilled with my manual focus. Anyway, there you go. Hopefully, I'll get something to share.
August 20th, 2017
I had started a discussion as a challenge here https://365project.org/discuss/themes-competitions/30226/photographing-the-solar-eclipse and I mentioned an older blog from when we had an annular eclipse.
http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/2012/05/may-20th-annular-eclipse-as-seen-from.html
August 21st, 2017
I saw the last one here in the states and found it totally boring.
August 21st, 2017
My attempt. Used a solar filter, it blacks out everything but the sun. No totality here so a filter was needed
August 21st, 2017
@joansmor My thoughts! LOL If I didn't know prior I wouldn't have noticed, but it was only 65% here.
August 21st, 2017
Very boring compared to the other shots here:
August 21st, 2017
August 22nd, 2017
Here's my collage of the partial eclipse we got here in Seattle:

I didn't use a filter, but I did change my exposure comp. on my camera to 5.0. I'm not sure if there was a better way to do this, I just kind of guessed because I forgot my ND filters. I was set up on a tripod, and switched over to movie mode so that I could watch the eclipse on my video screen. I didn't want to burn my eyes looking through the view finder haha.
August 22nd, 2017
I wasn't able to get anything from the eclipse this time around; I had some lofty goals, and used a variable ND filter Had NO success; it's okay though, hopefully I'l have better luck with the one in 2024.
August 22nd, 2017
After getting the exposure correct, I managed to get a series of shots that was relatively in focus.
August 23rd, 2017

I drove up to Rexburg, ID and got this shot.
Write a Reply