Upgrading to a Dslr?

January 16th, 2018
Hi everyone, I am considering getting a new camera as I am not really happy with my zpanasonic Lumix TZ80. I would like a small, light and not too expensive one. Any recommendations? Your input would be much appreciated, thanks.
January 16th, 2018
What don’t you like about your Panasonic? I have the TZ40 and was thinking of upgrading to the 80
January 16th, 2018
Hi Kathy, I am doing a photography course for the first time (untill now I only shot on Auto) The Aperture stops are F3.3 - F8. It does not leave much room for experimenting. Apart from that, the noise level is quite awful. I can seldom post a photo sooc! Depending on the light, I get either blue or purple around the edges. I'm just not happy with the results and have to do a lot of editing.
January 16th, 2018
@ludwigsdiana

Sony a6000 mirrorless camera
January 16th, 2018
If you want small and light, the new Canon 200D is absolutely tiny for a DSLR, and weighs just 453g. It's an entry level model (so cheap) with a reasonable set of features.

Though really you should try it out before you buy anything. :D
January 16th, 2018
Even though I have a Canon 6D, a Canon 70D and a Canon 100D, most of my shots are taken with either a Panasonic TZ70 or a Canon G7X. Why? Because even with the small 100D/200D + lens you are very aware that you are carrying a camera with you and it is not always practical or convenient. On the other hand, the TZ70 or G7X is always in my pocket wherever I go.

For a lightweight, carry anywhere camera with a fast lens I can recommend the Canon G7X. It has a 1 inch sensor (bigger than the TZ-80) full manual controls and the lens is a 24-100mm f/1.8 - 2.8. Minimum aperture is f/11.
January 16th, 2018
As stated above you get the Sony A6000 kit for good price. The two kit lens are good and will give you many options to make good images.
January 16th, 2018
Nikon D3400. Just got it and LOVE it!!!
January 17th, 2018
@ludwigsdiana I'm very partial to the Micro 4/3's cameras, as they are small, lightweight and the lenses are 1/2 the size of a DSLR camera.
I have a Pansonic Lumix GH4 which I love, but I believe no matter what brand you chose, you wouldn't be disappointed.
January 17th, 2018
@quietpurplehaze @miseria @helstor @chapjohn @alophoto Thanks so much for your input, I will see it I can borrow one to try it out :-)
January 17th, 2018
@ludwigsdiana

For me, this camera is just brilliant!
January 17th, 2018
I love my new Pentax K70

January 18th, 2018
If you want small dslr camera, think about sony alpha or olympus. You'll get more control about camera settings and you can go for more luminous lens after. On the other side but you need to invest more money you have Fuji X system. If size doesn't matter and entry level "common" dslr will be a good start point. I own nikon, owned fuji x on the past and now a mirrorless sony dslr with kit lens only as pocket camera. I has been very satisfied with all three systems.
January 18th, 2018
>the noise level is quite awful
You would benefit greatly from a larger sensor. That comes with higher weight, size and cost. You could get a much larger sensor than your TZ80 without going to a DSLR.

Common sensors (with their weird names) and sizes:
1/2.3. - 28 sq mm - Panasonic TZ80
1" - 123 sq mm
Micro 4/3 - 225 sq mm
APS-C - 370 sq mm - Entry level DSLR

I'd start with Panasonic and a 1" sensor. Adorama's current offerings: http://bit.ly/2mQxFi6 On the left hand side of that page you can select different sensor sizes, brands and a bunch of other characteristics.
January 18th, 2018
@quietpurplehaze @30pics4jackiesdiamond @jborrases @fotoblah Thanks so much for the info, I will have to check it all out. For that I will have to go into Cape Town as the shops here are all to small and do not have much choice. I will keep you posted ;-)
Write a Reply