Share Your (Unplanned) Contemporary Art Designs

February 23rd, 2018
In recent days I've seen three uploads that IMHO were lovely as contemporary art, and yet they came from the most mundane settings! I'm not talking about designs you created or arranged in Photoshop (for instance), but that snapshot of texture or pattern that translated to something of a higher design. I don't know how to take their images, but I liked the art by Ethel Perry @ethelperry, Lou Ann @louannwarren and Marnie @golftragic and would love for them to post opening examples, and I'd love to see others join in...doesn't matter how long ago you posted them!

The 365 Museum of Contemporary Art will now hold its opening reception!
February 23rd, 2018

This is tile mastic left on the front of stairs during a remodel in a medical building in Dallas. To me, it had the appearance of animal skulls on display when I took the photo. Smile.
February 23rd, 2018
Pipework on a local supermarket wall. I just liked the shapes, textures and space.

February 23rd, 2018

Mother Nature’s original art
February 23rd, 2018

Another unplanned shot😍
February 23rd, 2018
Is this the kind of thing you mean?

February 23rd, 2018
February 23rd, 2018
February 23rd, 2018
i could go on, i love this kind of thing.
February 23rd, 2018
February 23rd, 2018
@louannwarren Thank you for placing this here, Lou Ann! Already I see the gathering of some wonderful "works of art"!
February 23rd, 2018
@golftragic This was one of the pieces that had me thinking about Modern Art and the daily objects in life that can inspire it!
February 23rd, 2018
@joemuli Both of the pieces you placed here would be gorgeous in the midst of an art display! I love your "blurred and blinded by the sun" beach people which would likely show beautifully as well, but I wanted to gather the patterns and colors that happen unexpectedly...l'm delighted to see what you've shared!
February 23rd, 2018
@northy Your black and white abstract patterns would always be eye-catching in any gallery setting! Thank you for sharing this!
February 23rd, 2018
@kali66 In the center of the sand photo, I see a man's figure right out of German Expressionism! Start with that and it all falls into place! Wow! Your second piece brings to mind the mask from Dante's Inferno! This is what I love about these abstract images...they conjure other ideas... Give us more if you wish to share!
February 23rd, 2018
@m2016 Mel, this is a very soothing piece to look at. Filling a large space on a wall, one's eye could wander through it and glide along the slopes! It's a lovely abstract; thank you for sharing this!
February 23rd, 2018
Everything by Dreich @steveandkerry would belong for sure.
February 23rd, 2018
@kali66 Thanks for sending me their way! Amazing the talent and visions contained in the photographers on this site! Without a chance meeting like this, I might never have known about their work!
February 23rd, 2018
February 23rd, 2018
February 23rd, 2018
is this the kind of thing you mean? my typewriter ...

February 23rd, 2018
and here's a flower in my garden

February 23rd, 2018
Something like this?

February 23rd, 2018
@stimuloog Beautiful! I see you have a lovely way of viewing what you photograph! What I see in all of these shared items is a thoughtful composition of light, movement and texture. Without going further back, I think this is a qualifier as well! https://365project.org/stimuloog/nature/2018-02-09
February 23rd, 2018

Taken in Andy’s Place - The Palace Theater in Grapevine.
February 23rd, 2018
@pistache Line and light in the abstract is what (IMHO) draws us to contemplate an image beyond a glance. Your flower, most of the two, leaves me wondering what it is, and while looking it over, I'm imagining other subjects it might be (A baby bird's beak?) Thank you for sharing these...I'm enjoying this compilation and hope others are as well!
February 23rd, 2018
@lsquared Yep! Definitely something like that! I quite like the many vertical lines fading to black on right and left, and it would even hold together just as well turned 45 degrees to the right! You nailed "Abstract" with this one! Thanks for sharing your work here!
February 23rd, 2018
@Weezilou Wonderful idea! Thank you for looking snd commenting on my pics :-)
February 23rd, 2018
@louannwarren THAT!!! YES!!! I would most definitely sit and pour over this! Without hesitation I can picture this on a wall of a modern home being featured in Architectural Digest! I love this and am thoroughly enjoying the images gathered in one place here!
February 23rd, 2018
@Weezilou This is such a cool idea, leave it to you to make us think outside our collective boxes. So many great images from such talented 365ers. Oh my! Thank you!
February 23rd, 2018
@m2016 This is exceptionally nice
February 24th, 2018
An offering from January 2018

February 24th, 2018
This one taken February 2018

February 24th, 2018
@Weezilou I have enjoyed seeing others' work and love that you started this thread. I hope you can keep it alive as it is quickly slipping off the discussions list. i love the work of @dulciknit, and maybe you could share some of your posts, Alison.
February 24th, 2018
@kali66 I agree with you, Kali. I love this sort of thing, too.
February 24th, 2018
@golftragic Seeing the possibilities in mundane situations is great. Your capture here reminds me of a B&W Mondrian.
February 24th, 2018
@ethelperry Seeing your "Art" was what finally spurred me to start this, and I've been delighted with what others have shared! It would be lovely to see more as I know they're out there! Thank you for calling on @dulciknit as that's how to keep a thread alive! And I was tickled that you saw Mondrian in Marnie's photo! Back when I commented on it, I said I'd like to fill it in with colour! My thoughts were the same...and I'd still have fun doing it! A bit busy at present with a dinner party planned with neighbours tomorrow evening, but perhaps Sunday (as she gave me permission to have a play) I'll put my spin on it and post that, too! Thanks so much, Ethel! I certainly hoped you'd take part!
February 24th, 2018

Some sticky tape leftovers from notices previously taped to the wall of a public phone kiosk

Broken tactile paving slabs

February 24th, 2018
Love the thread Louise @Weezilou and thank you to Ethel @ethelperry for the shout out.
Perhaps Catherine @redandwhite will see this and post some of her work, she has a great eye.
February 24th, 2018
@777margo @Weezilou Why thank you :) It's just some sheets of photocopier paper with another sheet behind them to diffuse the sunlight coming through the window!
February 24th, 2018
February 24th, 2018

Thank you, @dulciknit, for your kind words. I rather like this one. So nice to know there is a little Abstract Appreciation Society within 365!
February 24th, 2018

Just a couple more . . .
February 25th, 2018

Rain on the windshield...
February 25th, 2018
Not sure if this is correct?

February 25th, 2018
February 25th, 2018
February 25th, 2018
I am not sure if any of these qualify as contemporary art?!?

February 25th, 2018
February 25th, 2018
@dulciknit What a find that was. Alison, and thank you to Ethel @ethelperry for asking you to post something here! This is a perfect example of seeing the possibility in such an authentic abstract; it looks as though the artist had truly labored over it to make it this perfect! Thank you for posting that and the "tactile bumps" that we all walk over, but most never "see"!
February 25th, 2018
@francoise A wonderful example of something so abstract, we enjoy the pattern and have no idea what it might be! I'm delighted you joined in her, Francoise!
February 25th, 2018
@redandwhite I love that you see our "sub-community of 365" as an Abstract Appreciation Society! I see within your contribution, a mountain scene in the open wilderness that's been turned and segmented into this work of art! I've always enjoyed "abstracts" as a genre of art as it makes me linger to see more than just what's before me. What a delight to see so many here who feel likewise!
February 25th, 2018
@redandwhite I'm just seeing the the following two are yours also! Undulating lines are marvelous...standing before a large piece like this, I might realize I'm standing there and swaying; it has a peaceful quality for the eye. And your straight diagonals have so much depth in the lighting! Excellent choice!
February 25th, 2018
@gardenfolk How exciting to see you and your work here! I feel that intuitively, you saw the abstract beauty in your first post above! The texture and the subtle touches of complementary coloration to the greens is really exquisite! It's a beauty! ...and I'm going to jump ahead to the splashes in the water...again, amazingly subtle shifts of gorgeous, cool coloration with warm touches in the shifting sepia and green tones! As a composition, it's very pleasing to the eye! The Calla Lily, while soft in tone, has your nuanced asymmetrical placement that makes it a little edgy... My mind want to see it more symmetrically, but as an abstract, it's perfect as it keeps ones attention focused! Re: Strawberry boxes, your perfect patterning makes a nice beginning for an abstract, but it strikes me (as it is, more Modern Art than abstract as I don't have to wonder at all about what I'm looking at. It's only my opinion in all this, but it's the same with the lovely splash of purple flowers. It's a good beginning for altering it in some fashion to make it more abstract...in any number of ways! Most easily, I envision making three-panel blends across it that would blur and move the colors creating different shadings of the purples... Think "Rothko" (scroll down) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rothko
Again, my thoughts are only my opinions in these instances, but I'm glad you posted these choices as I think they're good examples of "Hit the Mark" and "Off to a very usable beginning!"
February 25th, 2018
@helenhall I love this for the fact that I can't make out at all what it is in actuality, and yet it's so bold in coloration, it cried out for your attention! The neutrality of the gray serves up the the primary colors to bring attention to them without stealing the limelight. Yet when I finish enthusing over the colors, my eye returns to the subtlety of the grey to look over the tactile detail in it! Such a marvelous addition to this compilation of abstracts! I'm delighted that you shared this with us!
February 25th, 2018
Is it okay to add other people's images to this discussion? I've seen a lovely example recently, called 'Faces in the Water' by @katyc
February 25th, 2018
@chikadnz Certainly! I think they'd feel honored that you thought their work worthy! Just let them know by tagging them here!
February 25th, 2018
Here are a few others I've come across recently: '54/365' by @ginaanderson, 'Sanquhar reflection' (and many others) by Dreich @steveandkerry, 'Steps' by @suesouthwood, 'Colors of Sun and Sky' by @mud, 'Lines' and 'Waka' and 'Nature Up Close' by @helenw2
I enjoy abstracts too and this is inspiring me to more creativity :-)
February 25th, 2018
@chikadnz I hope they'll see the show of appreciation for their work and will post some images for all of us to enjoy here!
@katyc @ginaanderson @suesouthwood @steveandkerry @helenw2 @mud

I'm not familiar with any of you and I, too, would love to see what you've been photographing! This site is a great place for us to get to know one another through our work!
February 25th, 2018
@chikadnz thank you for the tag! Here is the photo:

It's soap bubbles on my windscreen at the hand car wash. Loved the colours :)
February 25th, 2018
@ginaanderson Oh YES! So like a peacock feather, but the coloration is different...so I study the image further! Such a perfect example as Photography as Abstract Art! Wonderful movement and color! Thank you So Much for sharing with us!
February 25th, 2018
I liked the reflections in my knife at the hotel restaurant last November at Crypticon in Minnesota:
February 25th, 2018
A couple more (because neat photo opportunities are EVERYWHERE:

February 25th, 2018
@mcsiegle The metallic reflection on the knife handle looks like a weaving! What a nice transcendence from the hard surface that it is! The leaves are so wonderfully abstract but lend a nicely framed window- composition to the area of darkness! And arching lines always create a relaxing visual pattern! It's true that we photographers and artists see the beauty in the nuances of life, and while my photography tends toward the more realistic, I have a great appreciation for the abstract and am glad to see it celebrated here!
February 26th, 2018
Thanks for your lovely comments on this pic. Here it is on the thread as requested :-)
February 27th, 2018
@helenhall I love that shot, Helen! Very cool in colors and capture.
February 27th, 2018
@ginaanderson A wonderful abstract and colors!
February 27th, 2018
@Weezilou Thank you, Louise for starting this discussion. WHAT A FUN IDEA! Your input was helpful to me. It has also been helpful to see what other photos 365ers have posted. :)
Write a Reply