Alcohol or not to clean lens and filters

May 26th, 2018
There seems to be mixed messages circulating on the internet as to whether or not alcohol is good or bad for cleaning of camera lenses. My question probably relates to filters more than lenses and my lens rarely gets dirty as I always keep a filter attached.

Do members use alcohol, specific lens cleaning fluid or whatever?

Your views would be appreciated.

John
May 26th, 2018
I've found the Zeiss lens wipes to be safe and effective. Below is an Amazon link but you can order them from almost any of the camera sites and I'm sure numerous other online sources. https://smile.amazon.com/Zeiss-Pre-Moistened-Lens-Cleaning-Wipes/dp/B00GL64QG6/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1527354523&sr=8-5&keywords=zeiss+lens+cleaning+wipes&dpID=41zbBwwmRRL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
May 27th, 2018
I used rubbing alcohol and a lens fiber cloth, which I wash as needed. Its easy and little spray bottles can be found in the travel section of Walgreens.
May 27th, 2018
I have a little spray that came in a Nikon kit, I imagine it contains alcohol and I use it with the microfibre cloth. The other thing I use at times, which is very conveniently packaged in small individual sachets are pre-injection swabs. (I use these to clean my hearing aids!) A big box of 100 for just a few pounds and it evaporates very fast and doesn't get anything wet. Handy to carry.
Write a Reply