Do Over Challenge

September 17th, 2018
I’m going to try out this challenge to see how everyone likes it:

One thing I love about this website is how the act of doing photography every day makes you a better photographer. The people here are great as well. They’re always willing to give you a tip or a challenge to teach you something new. I bet that almost everyone who commits to posting a picture every day does become a better photographer. This challenge is designed to see your own improvement.

The rules:
-Look back at some older pictures you posted here at 365project.org
-Pick a picture you feel you could do better with your improved skills
-Redo that picture. Meaning: set up, or go out and find the same place, and take that picture again.
-Tag the picture: do-over-1
-Leave a link to the old picture in in the description
-Do Over 1 will start on Monday September 17th, and end on Sunday September 30th

If you feel like it, post your before and after shots here as well, so other people can check them out.

Since this is the first "Do Over" challenge, I will pick five pictures that I felt like really met the challenge as finalists, and then everyone can vote for the winner. If it seems like a challenge that people want to do and we have another one, the winner can pick the next five finalists.

Also a note: I would love any feedback about the challenge and what you think about the way it is written or set up. Let me know if anything is confusing or not clear. Thanks!
September 18th, 2018
I'll give it a try, but I'll have to modify it a bit, as I currently live over 1000 miles from where I lived when I started this project! LOL!
September 18th, 2018
Very clever idea and a great exercise!
September 18th, 2018
@stephomy This sounds very interesting, as I only had the apps on my cell. Could you please tell me how to go back and find the older photos? I have not idea, thanks :-)
September 18th, 2018
I like this idea but can we choose any photo from our project rather than just one from our first few months? I have a photo in mind that i would like to do over but it was a few weeks ago and I don’t live in the same country as i did when i started. Great idea!
September 18th, 2018
@emma78 that's not a bad idea. Maybe I should be less restrictive on where to pick the original from.
September 18th, 2018
What an interesting idea. I'll think about that. Might try it in January as that is when I began. Many of the subjects were wintry and they wouldn't be there now in the Autumn.
September 18th, 2018
oooh cool
September 18th, 2018
I did a month of this!! I replicated my first month at the start of my second year and was surprised at how much my knowledge and skills had evolved. Ill certainly give this a go.
September 18th, 2018
@homeschoolmom @emma78 I officially changed the rules so that you don't have to go all the way back to the beginning of your project.

@ludwigsdiana I don't have the app so I'm not entirely sure. Does your phone show the url for a picture you're looking at? If so, you can just edit the url to the date you want to go back to. This will only show up if you go back from your most current picture. I do this all the time on my laptop to avoid having to scroll back one month at a time. Also, read the comment I made above. ^
September 18th, 2018
Ok cool! I know which photo im doing again then.
September 18th, 2018
Terrific idea Wendy, I can't add a 'before' link to the 'after' shot however - it may be because it's over 18 months ago. I am embarrassed at the original picture I've revamped!
September 18th, 2018
@30pics4jackiesdiamond That's cool that you did a whole month. I kind of tried something like this a while ago. I had a whole month of picture from my back alley, and then a year later, I recreated some of those shots. I wasn't thinking of it so much as my skills getting better, but showing off how much the alley changed in just one year.
September 18th, 2018
@stephomy So sorry, I thought Wendy had started this thread! Must be more tired than I realised!
September 18th, 2018
@fbailey Haha, it's all good. We both end in Y
September 19th, 2018

Before

After

September 19th, 2018
@emma78 Wow, I love the splash part above the glass rim.
September 19th, 2018
@ludwigsdiana Diana, look at this month's calendar view and then scroll back through each month. Click.on thumbnail of photo you want to look at/ repeat and it'll open large and URL/address of photo is in bar above ( I don't know the proper names!) To copy it click on the arrow underneath photo press copy, and paste it where you want. I store it on an email to myself if I want it later on. Hope this helps. J
September 20th, 2018
@30pics4jackiesdiamond Thanks ever so much Jackie, that would be a lot of scrolling to do for two years! I will give it a go D :-)
September 20th, 2018
Done one and included the link with a double dare to others to take part.

Before

After

September 21st, 2018
@ludwigsdiana I believe this is your first month Diana https://365project.org/ludwigsdiana/365/2016-12 you can then use the arrows at the side of the month to scroll through your project by month. Or you can change the date at the end of the url and it will take you directly to whatever date you put in.
Write a Reply