What makes you tick, or click?

November 11th, 2018
What drives your photographic tendencies? Do you sometimes hesitate to upload a photo and then get quite stunned at how many fellow 365ers fav it and comment so generously?
Do you sometimes feel as though you’re in a rut and can’t face your camera at the moment?
Do you have a style or pattern or habit that drives your photographic results?
Do you sometimes feel that other people are remarkably creative?

I wondered about all of these things when a photo I had hesitated to post received some very positive comments and, indeed, even favs!

So, some personal reflection – what drives me to create an image? The end result – not much - except a reactive response to a situation encountered – quick, drag out the Point and Shoot from the pocket! :

OR, a mad desire to create something artificially by tackling an editing puzzle to glue together a preconceived idea.

Other 365ers must have other mechanisms which allow such a wide range of images to appear.

Would it be too much to ask you to delve deeply and give us a once-off rundown on what drives you, what gives you your incentive. By reading and viewing we might be able to absorb some of your good ideas and vibes and borrow some of your creativity. I, for one,would really appreciate some new ideas....

Many thanks Rob Z
November 11th, 2018
Such an interesting Question @robz. Since starting my 365 project this time (after many failed attempts), I have found that I am constantly looking for opportunities to take photos.

I love to see what others are doing, while I am still trying to improve my photography and refine my own style.

Areas that interest me for photography are animals, flowers and food mainly. But I do take photos of other things.

The below photo is one I hesitated to post. It was an opportunistic photo. I was trying to get the chicken sitting in the flower bed, instead it kept moving. This is what I managed to capture, even though it was not what I was envisaging. I was quite amazed at the number of positive comments and Fav's it got. - I personally didn't feel it was complete for me. It was supposed to be a fun image and I just felt that I hadn't capture it perfectly.

I think the title - 'Bouquet of Hen' provided the playfulness I desired, even if the photo didn't. - It has received the most number of Fav's out of any of my images.

This next image also received a good number of Fav;s. It's style is quite different from anything else I usually photograph, which made me really hesitant to post it. But the responses really blew me away.

We had been returning from a road trip and were driving in the car, when this view came upon us. Hubby stopped the car and I got out to photograph something else. Hubby alerted me to this view. I ignored his better judgement at first. But finally turned to photograph it. It's not my style and therefore without his encouragement, probably something I would never have photographed. I do however like the end result.

I like to photograph things in their natural environment, looking for ways to express what I want and how I see things. I suck at staging photos or putting together a concept:) and love seeing how others do this.

November 11th, 2018
I'm not sure Rob, but since being on 365 I find at least three photograph opportunities a day, except for the days I don't!. I am more observant, but wish I was less hesitant to click- I miss so many by pausing too long.

I don't think I've missed a day since I started, 957 days ago. Challenges, themes and 365ers motivate and inspire me. People in this international camera club are supportive, happy to coach and hapy to be copied . I've replicated a fair few to learn new skills and genres. I don't think I have a 'style' but some have said they have identified a photo as mine as they've scrolled down their photo feed.

Ok, I'll never understand the PP page. How does a shot like this

get on PP, but one that took ages to set up, wastes tons of shots and is pored over, get more comments, favs and not?? But PP, I've learnt isn't important ( refer back to that photo, worst probably the project's ever seen!), it's the lovely people who take the time to type, it's the fun had in taking, and choosing, to upload it.

So, to answer your question, I really don't know, but when it stops being fun, I'll stop( probably).

November 12th, 2018
@kgolab Hi - thanks so much for your thoughts and feedback. I did like your chicken photo - and your caption! It's interesting to see the number of favs that different photos get - and, as you say, we must all have different tastes as it is hard to predict what other people will like and fav.
I just love your landscape - it has a totally abstract or surreal feel to it with those colours and the few seemingly stylized trees. Do you think this one will cause you to add to your usual style and have you looking for interesting landscapes. I know it would tempt me to try to create a similar look in another landscape.
It was interesting to see Jackie comment on how she gets inspiration from the challenges. They are fun - and I guess it would be a good idea to bite the bullet and sign up for the "Get Pushed" Challenge. I know Jackie does them and they look like a good way to expand. I just need to get a bit braver!!
Thanks again for your feedback - and again - that landscape was just amazing!
Cheers Rob
November 12th, 2018
@30pics4jackiesdiamond Hi Jackie - thanks for your reply!! It's so good that you bothered to write a few words- you always seem to have so much enthusiasm and such creative ideas. And you've been doing it for 957 days - that's impressive.
You know what - I think I have pinned down your secret - you have kept it fun!! And, of course, your comments about the lovely people who give so much support and help are just so true.
Like you I do like the challenges and they have helped enormously in a very steep learning curve - especially the 52 week challenge. But you also seem to have had lots of entertainment (or is that frustration + entertainment?) from the "Get Pushed" challenge. Maybe it's time to give that a go - scary thought!
I had to laugh about your comments re the PP and TP pages. I have no idea how they work and always find it quite amazing if one of my photos ends up on one of them. And I think I can vaguely remember your purple image - and your comments at the time.......
Do you mind if I ask you a question? Here it is - you are always so good at responding to everyone who comments on your photos. I know that is appreciated and I always enjoy your responses but I find it often impossible to find the time to both respond and comment - so do you have any tips on how to balance time spent responding to time spent commenting?
Thanks again for your response. Cheers Rob. :)
November 12th, 2018
@robz I don't do housework!!! Honestly though. I have an hour lunch at work so sit and 365 then ( like now!) And then I'll look again when I upload my photo.

I prefer, like you do, to thank individuals. Many thank en masse at the bottom of the pic, others on their next one.

Get Pushed is fun, and you can turn down a challenge, of just not do it!! Come on RobZ, contact @northy on this week's get pushed to be added to the list next week. I've learnt so much by playing, asking for feedback and advice and just failing then when a photo is shortlisted for voting it's such a buzz and if you win, wow!!! That's your peers looking at your photos, what an honour!!!

I have forgotten it's fun and got cross with myself, but not often. Also He is very supportive of my 365 project ( He often says he likes your's) couldn't do it without Him!!
November 12th, 2018
@30pics4jackiesdiamond OK Jackie - I did it - signed up for Get Pushed! Thanks for the encouragement. Could you also please thank Him for his kind comments and tell Him I was very chuffed to hear that he likes some of my posts!! Cheers Rob
November 13th, 2018
@robz I don't always manage to post every day......one way I keep ideas alive is to not photograph for just the sake of it and I never back-fill when I miss a day. Sometimes a break is a good thing to get the old "phojo" back again.

As to commenting, there are days when I just don't have time at all and only manage to post a photo. But if I have a really busy week, I might just go down my friends or followers list and respond to a few a day in order. Over the week, I will have visited everyone. Other days, I have enough time to see everyone and explore new people too.

I think the main trick is not to feel guilty about it. The project is here for you, not you for the project. Sometimes a blank space sums up my diary day very well because it was so full it simply didn't have time for photography!
November 13th, 2018
Well, Rob, right now I've kind of lost my phojo. The leaves are pretty much down from the trees and it is gray and gloomy outside. I do love photography, though, which some of it came from my dad who loved photography and developed his own pictures.

I really love editing my shots, too, to bring them back to what I actually saw and it makes me feel creative. I see nature differently now since photography has made me more observant and I love that, too.
Nature is my favorite thing to photograph.
November 13th, 2018
@casablanca Hi Casablanca - thank you so much for your reply. As usual, what you have said makes so much sense - and is so useful. You are so practical with your approach (I'm going to use lots of your suggestions!) and your overall philosophy is so liberating - the project is here for you, not you for the project!!! My new mantra!! :) XXX
November 13th, 2018
@mittens Hi Marilyn. Thanks so much for your reply. And i can see how winter must be a poor time for inspiration based on natural images. Who wants to go out in the cold?? So I guess that it is a good time for playing with your photos with your editing program?
I'm like you in that I find half the fun is taking the photo and half the fun is using your IT skills to modify it. Or make totally new images!! But isn't it addictive!! Good for your brain though I would think!
I hope you do get some clear days to let you outside to search for hidden treasures hiding from the cold. Thanks again for your reply. Cheers Rob
November 13th, 2018
@robz Thank you for replying back Rob. I agree, it is addictive and a lot of fun. Enjoy your project.
November 17th, 2018
@robz Hi Rob! Thank you for starting this interesting discussion! I agree with everybody else that it is difficult to predict which photos will encounter the favours of others. I'm often surprised by the lack of interest in some pics of mine that I liked. The reason might be that one knows and values the moment the photo was taken and the emotional context that is unknown or anyway indifferent to other 365ers. My favourite subjects are "humans" includingf portraits and street photography, also because I like to talk to people and I'm not shy. Of course watching the pictures of others is of great inspiration and stimulus to try new things. I love challenges because they push me to go out and photograph. Finally I like sooo much the contact with other people in the project. I feel I have new friends (you among others) and I have even met some of them, which is great. I learn what's happening in the rest of the world, the different seasons and the events that are described. I'm writing too much I'm afraid but let me say that I enjoy enormously opening my computer in the morning to see how many of you down under have seen and commented my pictures. Sorry for the long post!!

November 17th, 2018
@caterina Hi Caterina - thank you for your wonderful reply. I think you have summarized perfectly many of the joys of being on 365, especially the connections that it allows us to make - with so many other people and with other parts of the world through their images. I often think of it as a marvellous alternative to Facebook, without all of the negatives that Facebook can have, but with all of the positives - especially the meeting of new friends with the same basic interest in photography.
Your comment about the context of each photo and the lack of response to some was also very interesting, I think you have hit the nail on the head, after all, unless you are a professional, photography is a very personal hobby. That is a very good thought to keep in mind when a photo that you are very fond of seems to get very little response!!
Thank you so much for your ideas - it has been so interesting to read them. Cheers Rob
November 20th, 2018
@30pics4jackiesdiamond Hi Jackie - I just had a thought after reading your intro to your photo on the beer taps and your jug. I thought I might float this silly idea by you and see what you think - absolutely no pressure to say it's an OK idea. I only have an editing program on my original computer. I really like it but I can't install it on the new travelling computer. I thought I might buy P.S.Elements instead - the new version is about $148. However, you can download a trail of it - free- for 1 month. I've already had a bit of a look at it - it's not too bad (not as easy to use as my old one - drat!!) I wondered if you would like to have a go at it - we could trial different bits together and give each other a bit of help and support when the stupid program threatens to win!! As I said - it was just a silly thought so don't feel at all obliged - I am quite happy to fight with it myself - it's a good way to exercise the brain!! Cheers Rob
November 20th, 2018
Ooh, I'll have a look!! I'll get back to you asap cheers x
Write a Reply