Sudden Interest in Random Photos

May 25th, 2019
A while ago I read a post here about people noticing that one of their old photos was suddenly getting a lot of new views for no apparent reason. I’ve noticed this happening with one of mine recently and I’m just wondering if anyone ever figured out what was going on and why the sudden increase in views of some old (and in my case not very stellar) images?
May 25th, 2019
I have a very old photo that always has more views than it could possibly warrant, but it's because that's the image my mother bookmarked and uses to pop into 365 to look at my albums.

If you want to see if your photos are being posted elsewhere, you can right click on a photo and the click "search Google for image." Google will then open a new tab which is supposed to tell you if the image appears elsewhere. I don't know how accurate that is, but it is one possible way to check.
May 25th, 2019
If I see an old photo been looked at I set it to friends only. This is a very public site with ready access to download any photo by anyone which Ross @scrivna is upfront about. April @aecasey next time km on my laptop I'll try that trick.
May 25th, 2019
Thank you all for the information. Not sure yet what I’ll do but at least I have a better idea of what is going on. Still not sure why they are linking photos that are not terribly memorable but people do all kinds of things I don’t understand so, why should this be any different. :)
May 26th, 2019
@aecasey April.i.dont.find.the.'search.google'.option.when.i.right.click,which.browser.do.you.use?
May 26th, 2019
Tin eye works to reverse search an image and find out where it's being linked - https://www.tineye.com/
May 27th, 2019
One of my pictures is listed on the "worlds best pictures of the narrow...", according to Google. But my browsers warns me about the website and does not proceed to it.
May 27th, 2019
Are they, by any chance, photos you posted for Flashback Fridays? Maybe some people actually look at what others post?
May 27th, 2019
@skipt07 I don't think mine is a Flashback Friday image. I can't remember for sure but, if so it wasn't in the last couple of weeks and some how, over 600 viewers seem a bit much to be generated by the Flashback thread.
I did try the tin eye link above but it just keeps giving me an Oops! something went wrong message for a number of photos I've tried.
May 29th, 2019
@gardencat Sorry, I seem to have deleted my post instead of editing it, duh! Essentially as I said before and @skipt07 it comes from people elsewhere on the internet posting links to photos on here. Often these are in China but not always. Sometimes they are posted with your name as if you wrote the post, which is not great really. Mostly they are just links and often, as @byrdlip said, you can get a warning not to proceed on to that website.

You can always use the restricted option either immediately or a few days after posting something. That way you can share it with everyone but then restrict access to it after that.

@shannejw I got the same "oops" message on tineye.
May 29th, 2019
@casablanca and @gardencat I have just checked TinEye with a picture that got ridiculous numbers of views on Flickr and it's worked fine. I just copied the picture and pasted it into the bar and it found it
May 30th, 2019
@shannejw When I tried that ( copy photo and paste) it did give me a result in tin-eye but, every photo I tried, just told me that photo appears 0 times on the internet...even the one that, according to my 365 stats, has over 500 views. I give up , It's not even that I'm super worried about people stealing my work, or anything like that, it's just kind of weird and creepy to have your mediocre shots taking off to places unknown.
Write a Reply