Used or new camera body?

September 18th, 2019
Hi team! Just interested in your thoughts. I'm a little slow to keep up with new camera gear.. mostly because of having a mortgage!
I'm about to upgrade my camera to a full frame (not mirrorless) and have the opportunity to buy for about $700 less than full price (is that enough to make it worthwhile? would be my first question!) I'm looking at Nikon D750 ..
Anyway the discussion is not so much about what i've chosen but whether to leap into 'used' or just play it safe and buy brand new. For some reason i feel more relaxed about buying second hand lens than camera body...
I'd be buying through my local, independent camera store who I trust. They have a 3 month warranty, check and grade the camera 9/10. The shutter count is 3300.
Appreciating your thoughts
September 18th, 2019
Interesting question. First that is not many shutter clicks so if true the camera was not used much. I can gave 3000 clicks in a weekend for wildlife. Obviously it would be nice to know why the person sold the camera. But considering you trust them and the apparent low snaps. I’d say you have a deal! I’m looking at a new body and have been debating a switch to mirrorless. It all new tech, appears better and they have adapters for my lens. I’m still finding in hard to give up the dslr! Any thoughts??
September 18th, 2019
@photographycrazy For what it's worth, I'm VERY happy with my Nikon Z6 mirrorless, and use the adapter. All lenses except my older 85mm work fine with it. It's great in low light, captures action well, sharp even with just the kit lens. I had a lot of issues with the Z7 so ended up shifting to the Z6. It also allows for totally silent shooting which is great for wildlife and indoor events.
September 18th, 2019
All my DSLRs (D40 x 2), D3200, D5100 have been purchased secondhand. Have also bought 3 vintage lenses secondhand and have no problems with any of them - plus a secondhand IR converted camera (D70) which I've been v happy indeed with. All bought either from a reputable secondhand camera dealer or via Ebay, going with low shutter counts and sellers with 100% feedback. Hope this helps!
September 18th, 2019
I'd buy a used body from the camera store you're describing w/out a second thought. And IMHO, (if you have for sure decided to go DSLR as opposed to mirrorless) you won't go wrong with a D750. My advice to buying equipment (and I learned this the hard way): buy the best lenses you can possibly afford. The LENS is what makes the image. And for camera bodies, go with used. Camera bodies come and go and are "outdated" almost as quickly as phones are. It's the lenses you will be keeping. So save some $'s on the camera body you'll probably "upgrade" in a few years anyway and put those $'s into premium lenses.

If I may ask, are the lenses you have now DX (Nikon crop) or FX (Nikon full frame) format? If DX, and you're not sure about upgrading to quality FX lenses, it might be worth considering to stay on DX format. Like maybe the 7000 series if you like the Nikon platform. I don't want to get into a full-frame vs crop debate on the forum, but while I would never argue against the fact that full-frame will always be "better" than crop from a technology point of view, I would argue that to a large extent in practicality the difference is immaterial. I converted back from full-frame to crop a few years ago - even for my "for hire" work. Simply because the lenses are cheaper and which allowed me to afford vey high quality lenses. And bonus! The equipment is much lighter and portable. And, I've never had a bride or a corporate marketer say "You took this picture with used crop camera, didn't you!" They can't tell the difference. Anyway, just some of my thoughts - take with a grain of salt. In the end, when you have taken in all of the various replies and information you will no doubt receive, choose with confidence what "feels right" for you. :)
September 18th, 2019
@taffy Thanks!
September 18th, 2019
I'm new here, but I have always bought used bodies and lens from a place online that I trust and have never had any trouble. I think in 12 years of learning and doing it I have only bought maybe 2 bodies new.
September 18th, 2019
@photographycrazy I'm in agreement with @taffy. It's my personal opinion that mirrorless will take over. I switched from full frame DSLR to crop mirrorless and my overall work actually improved! I got better results due to ability to afford higher quality equipment, less weight, and a much higher "keep" rate. Yes, mirrorless still has some quirks. The biggest for me is the speed of autofocus is still slightly behind that of most DSLRs. But, it's almost caught up excepting for extreme comparisons (low end mirrorless to high end DSLR). But I've never once regretted switching to mirrorless.
September 18th, 2019
It's a personal choice and only one you can make. Mirrorless are so much lighter and the clarity is brilliant. BUT in saying that I find the colour of the cannon sweeter. It's comes down to what you prefer. The Sony lenses are sharp and very quick and very easy to use. When I pull out the cannon I find it slow and bulky. Remember it will not be your last camera, if it feels right for you then go for it.
September 19th, 2019
@photographycrazy @taffy @fbailey @travist1967 @dbj_365 @sugarmuser
Hi everyone - sorry for a combined response.. thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my thread. Everyone's responses have been really helpful, clarified and confirmed my thinking of what is right for me at this point in time.
I do agree that Mirrorless systems will start to rule the world.. but I've always been a late adopter and hang on to my gear! I bought my last F75 film camera when everyone else was getting into digital! Haha at that point i didn't think i'd ever go digital!
So warm thanks again to you all! I now know what I'm doing and hopefully my photos will enjoy the upgrade

Brigette :)
Write a Reply