Animal Photography Contest

January 20th, 2020
I haven't seen any animal photo contests recently, and thought maybe it was time to start one up again. It kinda petered out last time, so this time I'll just go ahead and set up the whole year's topics, month by month, and run it and try to keep it going. If possible photos should be done during the time period for each subject, but no one is going to check up on you if you have a favorite from some time past that you're dying to share!

We will run a theme from mid-month to mid-month, so we'll start with the February challenge now, and we will vote on the winner starting the 15th of each month to make this very simple.

I'll post the theme each month, but here's what I have planned for the year if you want to think ahead!

February – Black and white pictures of pets (vote Feb 15)
March – Portraits (vote March 15th....and so on.)
April – outside animals
May – birds
June – Elderly pets
July – wet animals
August – black animals
September – high key animal pictures
October – low key animal pictures
November – Multi animal pictures (more than one animal)
December – holiday pet pictures

So, February is open now, and please tag your photos APFeb20. The theme is black and white pictures of pets and entries should be in by Feb 13th. I'll select 5 at that point that I think have good technical quality, composition, etc., and post them on the 15th to start voting.

I'll post one of my older ones just to get us started, since my photos won't be eligible to win!
January 20th, 2020
I can’t believe I missed this challenge before. I have a house full of furry family.
January 20th, 2020
Olive would love to play along- i'll go and wake her up! Thank you debra :)

@farmreporter Wendy, could you add to sh@t list each month for Debra???
January 20th, 2020
@dfarrington Great idea! I'll try to participate each month.
January 20th, 2020
That's awesome. I have a mini zoo in our apartment so this shouldn't be to hard for me lol.
January 21st, 2020
Thank you for starting or re-starting this.
January 21st, 2020
Awesome!!
January 21st, 2020
What a great idea, Debra! So good you got this up and running once again.
I will add it to the Weekly SH*T list. @30pics4jackiesdiamond
January 21st, 2020
@dfarrington That sounds like a fun challenge, but I don't think Minky will go swimming in July as it is winter here ;-)
January 21st, 2020
@ludwigsdiana Diana a bath or a rain or snow shower are both going to result in a wet dog too. My dog doesn't swim at all - summer or winter!
January 21st, 2020
Brilliant! Arky will no doubt make an appearance :)
January 21st, 2020
Yay! I'm in!
January 21st, 2020
Definitely sounds like a great challenge. Choosing the finalist is also going to be quite a challenge :-)
January 21st, 2020
Looking forward to joining in.
January 21st, 2020
As long as pets can be teddy bears.
January 22nd, 2020
nice!
may I ask does Sept and Oct have to be pet themes.
I don't have pets, but have a load of opportunity for high or low key photograph :)
January 22nd, 2020
am I missing something - what is the tag for the Feb theme?
Again do you have to make the theme pets rather than animals?
January 22nd, 2020
@koalagardens September and October could be animals other than pets. I changed the text in the announcement above to reflect that. Thanks for asking. You can also post high or low key photos in other months if they fit the theme. April is outside animals, and November is multi animals. And the tag is in the text above: APFeb20.
January 22nd, 2020
@dfarrington fantastic, thanks so much Debra, great to see this theme up for the whole year!
January 22nd, 2020
My cats and bunnies hate getting wet so “ my husbands” outdoor birds will be the stars of the show in July. :)
January 22nd, 2020
Fun!
January 22nd, 2020
Yay!
January 22nd, 2020
@dfarrington Just thinking...will this be like other challenges where the winner picks the finalists? Only confused because the topics are already chosen? Thank you for starting this challenge! It is awesome!!!
January 22nd, 2020
Thanks Deb I've tagged a photo, I'd just really love to see you replace every month that says pets with animals. unless you are specifically wanting it to be strictly limited to pets it seems a shame to cut many potentially great images from this as there are some amazing animal photographers here that I follow who would probably participate.
I know in past years I've simply not tagged because the theme said pets. I do not keep pets, but live among a huge array of animals. So that is Feb, June and Dec
I'm happy of course to go with your decision, can't hurt to ask :)
February 12th, 2020
@mzzhope Hope - I'll just run the show for the year, and we'll see how it goes...maybe transition to winners picking the next theme after that. I started this before and it died out after a few months, so I'm going to do my best to keep it popping for a while!
February 12th, 2020
@koalagardens February was changed, but I think aside from your koalas perhaps, most people aren't going to know if other animals are elderly? And holiday and pets kinda fits too. So I hope it is okay to have two months that are just pets!
February 17th, 2020
is the tag for March APMar20?
February 17th, 2020
@koalagardens Not yet. I will post it Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning after the winner of February is announced.
February 17th, 2020
sorry I thought Mar one started Feb 15? sorry I'm a bit confused
February 18th, 2020
Just seen this, can I join in please
February 18th, 2020
@lyndamcg The February contest is closed, but the March one will be opened today or tomorrow.
Write a Reply