New technique challenge: Vortography

January 26th, 2020
New technique challenge: Vortography

I just recently learned about this technique from fellow 365er @kali when she posted this shot:

Instantly intrigued I did some research and now decided to post this as the technique challenge.

Vortography essentially is taking a picture through an open kaleidoscope.

This technique was developed about 100 years ago by Alvin Langdon Coburn. It was part of the Abstract Art movement.

More information and images can be found here: https://www.clickphotographyworkshops.com/vortography.html

So... how do you do it? You’ll need 3 rectangular mirrors. 1 inch by 6 inch is what I read, but I have small pocket mirrors the size of credit cards that worked with my cell phone camera. You assemble these into an open triangular prism, through which you shoot.

I suppose anything with a reflective surface will work, but a clean mirror will give you the clearest image.

The challenge runs from today until Sunday, February 16. Tag your image technique-vortography

Of course I had to try this, and here are two examples:

January 27th, 2020
i quite enjoy this technique, although it is definitely not for every day 😎... here is a picture of my mcgyver'd vortography attachment... there's an explanation of how i made it on my project page...
January 27th, 2020
@northy thank you. I saw your pictures too! What’s the fabric around the mirrors?
January 27th, 2020
@transatlantic99 duct tape 😎
January 27th, 2020
Great choice.
Had seen Northy's vortographs. It's on my to do list (as many other things).
Write a Reply