Shooting in the forest

January 19th, 2021
I was in the forest two days ago and it was very beautiful, with the snow on the trees it looked faitytalelike. But I always have trouble shooting in the forest and ended up with like 50 photo's of, well, trees, not capturing the feeling I had. Anyone having tips for making photo's in the forest, or nice forest pictures to share so I can improve?
January 19th, 2021
I think I know what you mean... you’re out in the wilderness.... everything is hushed and magical... you take dozens of shots.. but find when you pull them off your camera there’s nothing but snow and trees... the magic is gone...

I struggle with this a lot... sometimes it’s about the light, and tweaking contrast in post processing to restore the sense of magic... other times it’s about the composition and making sure the viewers eye is drawn in to where i want it to be and not wandering around and confused... this can be done in camera or thru cropping and vignette for in post...

But at the end of the day... I often just have trees and snow 🙃

I look forward to other ideas on this cuz I could sure use some pointers as well!
January 19th, 2021
Wow, what a tough question, and I don't have a simple answer. I looked back over my albums, and while I have quite a few phots IN forests, I don't have many (decent) photos OF forests. I think the key is to isolate a clear subject and compose carefully. Is the a specific tree that draws your attention? or a path through the woods, or a stream? While the overall forest sets the scene, there has to be something to focus the attention.

But I'm VERY far from an expert.
January 19th, 2021
YouTuber Nigel Danson has some videos on forest photography. I agree it never quite feels like how you saw it!
January 19th, 2021
Simon Baxter on Youtube is the woodland master :-)
January 19th, 2021
You may have to dabble in post-processing to get the look you want, or try different lenses. I think modern digital cameras make everything look so perfectly clinical, the magic can get lost so as the photographer/artist we need to find ways to put it back.
January 20th, 2021
Mist helps, it isolates the trees.
January 20th, 2021
@iiwi What kind of forest was it? I find that commercial forestry with lots of fir and spruce just doesn't work for photography, whilst ancient broad leaf is much better...
January 21st, 2021
Try lying down and shooting straight up?
January 21st, 2021
@laroque I love this picture!
January 21st, 2021
Thank you all. I think it is hard for me to find something to focus the shot on. I will look to the videos recommended here as there is enough woodland around here to photograph in!
Write a Reply