Lightroom problem

January 25th, 2021
Since Flash of Red February is coming, I thought I would practice trying selective coloring in Lightroom since I haven't tried it in a long time.

I was using the brush tool to erase some unwanted spots of color and all the paintbrush did was smear the photo. I can't figure why it is doing that. I followed the instructions I saw on YouTube and had the saturation turned all the way down and it just wouldn't work right.

Anyone have any suggestions?
January 25th, 2021
hmmm... that sounds frustrating...

i mostly use PS for selective colouring so i have little experience with using LR for this purpose... but i have been finding LR to be supremely glitchy since the most recent update... to the point where some functionality just wouldn't work at times...

have you tried quitting LR and then re-opening to see if that resets something for you?

i hope you get things sorted!

January 25th, 2021
Check the other brush sliders to see if something else besides saturation is also being applied. It's a good idea to double-click on the word "Effect:" after choosing a brush to zero out all the sliders. Other than that, I can't imagine what could cause what you're seeing.
January 26th, 2021
@northy @regex Thank you Northy and Gene.
I don't have Photoshop so I'm not able to do it there.
I did double click on Effect to reset everything but when I bring the saturation down and a use the brush, it looks like I am painting smeary white over everything and not desaturating. It's frustrating.
January 26th, 2021
Oh, I think I understand now. You probably have the overlay visible (shows where you're painting). Just press "O" to toggle that on and off.
January 26th, 2021
@regex Thank you so much, Gene. I didn't know about that. I tried what you said and it worked.
January 26th, 2021
The best and easiest method I have found to do selective color is with NiK software using SilverEfexPro.
January 26th, 2021
@brotherone Thank you for the suggestion,
Write a Reply