Canon R6

February 25th, 2021
Has anyone gone Canon Mirrorless? I am wanting a full frame camera, but also want benefit of mirrorless. I would like to use my full frame lenses and not have to start over with everything- thus want to stick with Canon. I have used my 7DMII for years and it's a great crop sensor, but would love feedback on R6 (or R5 if anyone has spent the $$) if anyone has it.

TIA
February 26th, 2021
Hi, I've just done exactly that - upgraded from a much-loved 7D Mk II to an R6 and, although it's early days and I'm still getting used to it, I am really impressed with the camera, build quality and image quality. It's packed with so many features, I've actually turned off a lot of them to make sure I really get to know my way around. You can use all of your EF and EF-S lenses but you'll need a lens mount converter. I actually decided to sell all my old lenses and with the proceeds I opted for the kit RF 24-105mm f4L lens which is a beauty, and recently ordered the RF 70-200 f2.8L which I am really looking forward to. There is only one thing I don't like on the camera itself - it has a digital viewfinder which I just find odd (even though I have changed the settings to try and make it look more natural). The camera (even with lens) is lighter and slightly smaller than the 7D MkII which is a blessing as I was finding the 7D a bit heavy if you were carrying it around all day. I don't use the camera for video so can't comment on that aspect, although if the reviews are to be believed it is great for video as well. I don't regret the upgrade one bit.
February 26th, 2021
@peadar Wow, how great you have the same switch I'm thinking about! My good lenses at the moment are an ART Sigma 1.4 and a Tamron 24-70 2.8. I worry that they will not work with the new camera even with the mount converter. My other EF lenses are not full frame lenses, (except one wide-angle manual one and it's another manufacturer), but they are Canon, and I still have a Rebel T2i in addition to my 7DMII--my husband is thinking of learning, so I thought I would give him my older stuff, but for my portrait work, I need the Sigma and Tamron to work. I will definitely get the converter if I do it.

My husband thinks I should splurge for the R5 because of the sensor 45 vs 20, but I just wonder if it's worth a lot more money on that when I could be using it for lenses. I faced that issue when I bought the 7DMII new. The 7DMII is a great camera, but I feel like I'm ready for full-frame, and mirrorless. Thanks so much for feedback!

I took a look at your shots too! I think we share a common interest in food! :)
February 26th, 2021
@darylo Daryl, thanks I will follow you back. On the R5 I decided not to go for it partly because of the £$, but also because it is just too much camera for what I need (and I would have had to upgrade my laptop to cope with the file sizes!).
February 26th, 2021
I'm following this discussion, @darylo and @peadar because someday I will go to Canon mirrorless. Just haven't done it yet as I am very happy with the 5dmarkiv my husband bought me only months before he passed away. It's been my pandemic camera (aka bird and squirrel backyard photography camera) and I have a Daryl-backpack full of Canon lenses so I know that when I decide to go mirrorless it will be a Canon. @peadar I appreciate your assessment of the new camera. Hmm . . . some day . . . when I travel again beyond my backyard (at the moment, only photography is at my backdoor, not even outside!), that weight might become more important.
February 26th, 2021
@jyokota I was going to go 5DMarkiv, but got distracted happily by R5 and R6. Leaning R6 with using savings to buy good glass
February 27th, 2021
Seems to me that the R5/6 would be leading into the future of technology advances. On the other hand, maybe the 5Dmiv might be available used?
February 27th, 2021
@jyokota I've looked. Still a pretty penny used. I'm in no rush. The 5D MIV is the last of the 5D line according to the Canon rep I spoke to.
March 2nd, 2021
Have a look at this video. Landscape photographer Gary Gough who uses a Canon 5D Mark iii compare it to an R6 for landscape photography: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Azo3fIoTTI
Write a Reply