Technique Challenge 114 - Long Exposure

April 7th, 2021
Thank you Jean @jernst1779) for hosting technique challenge 113 Monochrome.

I’m pleased to host the next technique challenge and thank all of those who voted my image into the top spot, especially among such a strong set of images for the finalists.

A technique that provides a lot of opportunity for variation that I thought would be fun to use is long exposure. It’s easiest to do with a tripod, but a beanbag or even resting on a stable surface works fine. To do long exposures effectively, you’ll need to either use an external shutter release (relatively inexpensive to purchase – under US$30.00 for a quality one and they last a long time) OR learn to set your camera’s shutter delay to about 3 seconds to avoid camera shake.

Many subjects lend themselves to long exposures, from water flow (indoors or outside) to clouds (outside of course), runners and cyclists, pets, moving items like marbles, and so forth. Think creatively and have fun with this challenge!

See the end of this posting for some sample photographs from our community members.

Images taken from April 1 to April 30 are eligible.

Please use the tag: technique114

Entries can be viewed here: https://365project.org/tags/Technique114

Thanks everyone. I hope you will play and have fun with this challenge.

Here's an abstract by Clare Gadsby using her iPhone and herself as subject:

Here's a water-movement shot using a DSLR by Paul:

Another DSLR shot, but with lights on a moving object, by Merrelyn:

And here's an example of a night sky very long exposure that I took:

Lots of possibilities -- use your imagination and have fun. I look forward to your entries!
April 7th, 2021
@taffy I've not much explored possibilities with my iPhone - but who knew a 'live' photo could be converted so easily to long exposure!! this from the 2018 archives Plaza de España - Seville
April 8th, 2021
@brigette Fascinating! I hadn't known it would work that way either! Thanks for sharing the example!
April 8th, 2021
@taffy albeit cheating 😬🙄🤣
April 9th, 2021
At the request of ChallengeMaster @taffy, an example of long exposure...

April 9th, 2021
Also at the request of ChallengeMaster @taffy, another example of long exposure...

April 10th, 2021
@timerskine Thanks!
May 6th, 2021
@taffy Hello Taffy! I was looking if you started the voting for this challenge and I couldn't. If you did, please ignore this message. If you did not start it, will you do it at your earliest convenience? Thank you very much!
Write a Reply