Nikon D70 will not power on..

April 18th, 2021
Hi Everybody.
If anybody can offer help on this I would be most grateful.
The camera shows no display and will not turn on.
The battery is fully charged.
Is it worth taking to a camera repair shop? I know it is quite old but I love it - it's been converted to an IR camera.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Cheers Rob
April 18th, 2021
how frustrating! i hope it's something that is easily fixable...

if it's of any use, ii had this happen with my canon some weeks ago... i took the SD card out and put it back in again and for whatever reason that made my camera see reason and decide to cooperate... no clue what science (if any) was behind that...

April 18th, 2021
ugh dont you hate it when that happens, i have same problem with my canon 650d which i only had a short while, i was told it could be a fault with the memory card door or battery compartment which have a switch in them which engages when properly closed... might have been @northy 's problem. unfortunately that was not my issue and now i have a camera shaped brick. :(
April 18th, 2021
i was told fixing my camera could cost more than a second hand replacement so i never sent it in
April 19th, 2021
Try a second battery. That's the most likely cause. Also remove the memory card and lens in case there's an issue with those. The d70 should power up with no lens or memory card.

D70s are cheap, and easily converted. You can open up your current d70, and recover your infrared filter, then use it to IR convert a different D70. Here's your conversion instructions.
https://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials/nikon-d70-d70s

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
April 19th, 2021
I do not know if it will work, but try cleaning the battery contacts on the battery and the internal of the battery compartment. If that fails, you might want to try a new battery.
April 22nd, 2021
Thank you so much for all of your responses.
I tried all of them - no luck.
But then, after a couple of days I suddenly realized that the last time I used the camera it was wet and misty - and it has no cover over the USB cord inlet point. So I sat it in front of the warm air heater for a couple of hours (facing the offending site) and it magically came back to life!!
And Josh - thanks so much for your info about the conversion - I've copied it all down in case it has a sudden repeat episode!
Many thanks and cheers Rob
@northy @kali66 @brotherone @sudweeks
April 22nd, 2021
yay! thats awesome
April 23rd, 2021
Glad there was a happy ending - I do love your IR images :)
April 23rd, 2021
@4rky Thanks so much 4rky! It was a big relief - it's so much fun to play with! Cheers Rob
Write a Reply