Flash of Red February 2022

January 27th, 2022
It’s back! And so am I. After numerous glitches and hurdles with working on and saving pictures in my new laptop, I’ve finally figured out a way around the quirks of Windows 11 and the way it interacts with my photo processing program just in time to launch the latest edition of Flash of Red February (yes, I’ve lost track of how many years we’ve been doing this!). In the past we’ve approached the month ranging from a “free-form, just shoot in black and white” approach to more directed and educational approaches including book reviews and website suggestions. This year we’re just going to have fun and hopefully by the end of the month you’ll have a really cool looking calendar with that one pop of color.

In former years we took a week-by-week path, looking at different aspects and nuances that only black and white can bring to your photos. This year we’ll be shooting with a daily format so that by the end of the month you’ll have a pattern of black and white stripes with the classic “flash of red” in the middle. At least that’s what I see in my mind!

So here is the break-down:
Sunday- Low Key shots emphasizing black.
Monday- Low Key shots emphasizing black.
Tuesday- High Key shots emphasizing white.
Wednesday- Black and White photos emphasizing shape.
Thursday- Black and White photos emphasizing lines.
Friday- Black and White shots emphasizing shape.
Saturday- High Key shots emphasizing white.

For and extra punch to your calendar use high contrast as well on Tuesday and Saturday. For those who’d like some clarification- high key is HOW MUCH light is in the photo (that is- there is an abundance of light. Think in terms of a picture where the sun is bathing everything in its bright white light- such as at the beach.). High contrast is HOW DISTINCT the dark and light areas are in a picture (that is- the blacks are very black and the whites are very white. There is very little fine detail in these shots and the black and white areas are quite bold.).

This approach should end up looking like a stripe of black, a stripe of white, a row of shapes, a row of lines, a row of shapes, a stripe of white and a stripe of black when you look at the full calendar view.

THE EXCEPTION: The Flash of Red. Traditionally we’ve popped that spot of red on February 14th in honor of the day. BUT some of you like to put your “flash” truly in the center (which is hard to do on a month with an even number of days!). If you want to go the non-traditional route- the closest date to “center” while still catching that striking look of color among all the black and white would be February 16th this year. I leave the choice up to you. More on how you can accomplish this look when we get closer to the “flash” date.

Suggestions- Since we’re not actually assigning subjects or techniques this year you may want to self-impose them. Learn more about high key and low key photography on the days they are featured. Or check out a technique like ICM or refraction when line is featured. The elements of composition are great to study when working with shape or line. It’s easy to find short articles on the internet about any of these topics. If you need a little more to work with just make note of it in the discussion threads each week and I will do my add a little more detail where needed. You may also want to choose a singular subject that you approach on a given day each week. For example- do a study of an object from your desk every Monday. How many ways can you photograph a stapler or pair of scissors in high key? Yes, I am asking you to make a lot of creative decisions this year- but you can do it! I know you can. I don’t think there is any other photographic site that matches the creativity I’ve seen here- and I’m so glad to be back now that all those aforementioned obstacles are somewhat worked out.

Flash of Red February begins in 5 days- so gear up your camera and creative juices and start scouting out subjects and scenes that inspire you to shoot in Black and White!

The tag will be FOR2022 this year and the challenge will run from February 1 through February 28. I'm looking forward to another year of Black and White shots from all who join in!

Do you want a weekly reminder of the daily themes? Place your tag line below and I'll post one with your name under it each week.

Ann LeFevre
@Olivetreeann
January 27th, 2022
Wouldn't miss this fabulous month - I might even try all the prompts this year (but then again.................................!)
January 27th, 2022
@olivetreeann Welcome back! I am already getting ready for FOR. I love it every year.
January 27th, 2022
So excoited to have you back and a perfect way to return!
January 27th, 2022
Yay! So glad to see you back and picking this up!
January 27th, 2022
ooooh a difference this year, I love this month the best, and then followed with the rainbow it really is so much fun! let's go!
January 27th, 2022
Thank you! I look forward to this challenge every year!
January 27th, 2022
whew! you made it! love this year's format. a lot of thinking and planning though. thank you, ann.
January 27th, 2022
So pleased to see you back Ann and that Flash of Red will be up and running.
January 27th, 2022
really want to participate,hope i can cause most of the time i will be away..let's see!
January 27th, 2022
@30pics4jackiesdiamond @shutterbug49 @grammyn @northy @koalagardens @cristinaledesma33 @summerfield @salza @gerry13

Thanks for such a warm welcome back (i.e. home!). I've got a lot of catching up to do but I'm just going to chip away at it as best I can. I'm excited to see what this month will look like when we're done. I'll keep you posted each week and feel free to share your pictures in the discussion thread when I do.
January 27th, 2022
So excited to see you back Ann and that FOR is back!
I wouldn't miss it!
Thank you Ann
January 28th, 2022
It is good to see you back and the Flash of Red Challenge back. Thank you for organizing this challenge. I look forward to the Flash of Red Challenge in February.
January 28th, 2022
@olivetreeann - this is the 10th year as we started this in 2013. i wish alia @alia_801 would join us again for this milestone as remember we were then partners in crime with her when concocting different challenges for ourselves. her album is still open but she hasn't posted since 2018. goodness, how time flies.
January 28th, 2022
Echoing everyone above….happy to see you back and excited for Flash of Red February!
January 28th, 2022
Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing what the month looks like.
January 28th, 2022
I hope to join in again this year too.
January 28th, 2022
Hi Ann
Thanks 😊 so much
January 28th, 2022
Thanks for doing this Ann! I hope to be able to participate as much as possible.
January 28th, 2022
So glad to see you back, Anne. And thanks a million for doing Flash of Red February again for us. It's a huge amount of work to do so. And I really appreciate how you set it up, for everyone to enjoy and improve.
January 28th, 2022
yay! What a fun month - I love FoR February
so pleased you are back!
January 28th, 2022
Nice to see you back Ann! I was afraid FOR wasn't going to happen this year, so I was super happy to see your message! Not sure I have the skill/knowledge to manage the prompts, but I look forward to learning from everyone else's posts.
January 28th, 2022
Okay, I'm going to try to do this. We'll see how it goes.
January 29th, 2022
@summerfield She's out on facebook and posts there but hasn't been back to 365. )o; Yes, we did have fun with those month by month challenges, didn't we? This one was actually started by...ugh! Her name just went out of my head- Katie?? I think. I can't remember her last name. Anyway... she started a book review and one year she and I decided to do one on black and white and it's been black and white ever since!

@radiogirl @daisymiller @njmom3 @njmom3 @spanishliz @brigette @taffy @mona65 @annied @ljmanning @mittens

I'm so glad to see you'll all be giving it a try or returning for another year of black and white fun!
January 29th, 2022
Yay, I always love this one!

Thanks for hosting @olivetreeann
January 29th, 2022
Thanks for hosting again Ann. I'm looking forward to participating again :)
January 29th, 2022
Hello, I’m new to 365 this year - I’d love to do this challenge, it sounds very exciting, but not sure how to go about it. Is this over and above the daily photo? Do I have to set up a different album? Any guidance welcome - thank you
January 29th, 2022
Thanks Ann, I'm up for another attempt at Flash of Red.
January 29th, 2022
I hope it is alright if I just do Black and White because I don't have time to play with you Low Light, etc. Between by two jobs and running the camera club I keep busy.
January 29th, 2022
@lsquared @novab @rensala @merrelyn @joansmor

So glad you're joining in!

@joansmor You can make your shots look high-key and low-key in camera by adjusting the + and - dial. You don't necessarily need special lighting. Remember high-key is just an abundance of light- a good sunny day will give you that. It will also give you some nice shadows which can translate as low key in some shots. Whatever you decide to do is up to you. Your project, your rules (o;

@rensala You can do this challenge as your daily photo, or you can do it as an extra shot in a different album. Since you are an ace member you have the option to set up a second album if you want to. It's really up to you and how many pictures you want to take per day. Do what you feel most comfortable with Renee, have fun and welcome to 365!
January 29th, 2022
@olivetreeann. Thank you 😊 I’ll have a go - can I be tagged please
January 30th, 2022
A favourite for me thank you Ann
January 30th, 2022
Thanks for all your hard work in hosting FOR again Ann - my favourite challenge of the year :)
January 30th, 2022
Thanks Ann for doing this again! Love to participate!
January 31st, 2022
Thanks for doing this again this year but on slightly different angle this time ... shall look forward for another February in B/W
January 31st, 2022
@rensala will do!
January 31st, 2022
@moonbi @4rky @jacqbb @beryl @rensala

So glad you're all joining in- one more day and we begin!
January 31st, 2022
This is one challenge I look forward to doing this year. Please, include me in your reminders.
January 31st, 2022
@chejja Great- glad you're joining in Caroline!
January 31st, 2022
@olivetreeann please add me to your Flash of Red list…thanks!
January 31st, 2022
I hope to take part once again as I love this challenge but I am having problems with my laptop so I may have some issues! Fingers crossed 🤞
January 31st, 2022
Hi Ann,

Please could you add me @phil_Sandford and @carole_sandford to the FoR prompts ?

@olivetreeann
January 31st, 2022
I want in. This is my favorite month every year.
February 1st, 2022
Count me in! So glad you are leading this again, Ann.
February 1st, 2022
@amyk will do!
@pamknowler I know what you're going through- computer issues kept me off of 365 for 3 months!

@phil_sandford will do- glad you're both joining in!

@pandorasecho thanks Dixie!

@louannwarren thanks Lou Ann!
February 4th, 2022
Glad you’re back🌻🌻🌻👌💕
February 4th, 2022
Thanks for doing this, Ann. And so glad you are back!
February 4th, 2022
Thanks for your efforts on this, Ann!
February 4th, 2022
I love Flash of Red. Thanks for all the work you do on this fun challenge. Sandy
February 5th, 2022
@joemuli Thank you Joey! Glad to be back!
@eudora Thank you Diane- I'm glad to be back too!
@juliedduncan Thank you Julie!
@yogiw Thanks Sandy- I'm glad you enjoy it.
Write a Reply