Best Competions / Challanges for Newbies

October 5th, 2022
Good Morning, I am not sure if this is the past to post this question. I am still new to the hobby of photography. I would like to participate more, especially I ways that will challenge me and let me try new things. Where do I start this journey? Thank you in advance for your responses.
October 5th, 2022
Look out for the Thursday Weekly SH*T List. All of the challenges are listed. Also try the get pushed challenge which will also be listed. This is something that I have been meaning to do. Also if you like a shot that you see but don’t know how to achieve it just ask. Good like.
October 5th, 2022
Where do I find the Thursday Weekly SH*T List? I am very new to this group
October 5th, 2022
@ladydoc either the legend to the left where you found this link or legend at the top, click discuss then latest. Good luck on navigating the site.
October 5th, 2022
Welcome Jill. As a newbie it's a good thing to focus on the main project. A picture a day can be challenge as it is. Especially if you like editing your photo's.

Participating in discussions and maintaining friendships can be very time consuming too. You have to be prepared for that. As with anything, you get out of it what you put in.

That said, any challenge can be great help for inspiration.

Good luck with your project.
October 5th, 2022
Welcome to 365, a friendly more supportive forum you'd struggle to find!!

I started with Get Pushed Challenge and still opt in and out! I've learned so much from doing the challenges I've been set.

The word a day gives a theme to concentrate on without entering challenges and the voting system

Also follow people, ask them how they achieved an effect, photo, I've yet to be refused when I've asked and copied them!!

October 5th, 2022
@jillbrowning @ladydoc
The best way to find the Weekly SH*T list is to click on 'Discuss' on the top 365 menu bar, scroll down to 'General' and it will be there.
I put it under 'General' because it does not get as much traffic and will always be easier to find!
Welcome and have fun!
As many people have mentioned - the Get Pushed challenge is the best one for Newbies. I highly recommend it and will be doing a 'In Praise of Get Pushed' shortly and will tag you when it goes up.
October 5th, 2022
@wakelys
@mastermek
@30pics4jackiesdiamond

Thank you all for the helpful tips. I will focus on the main project the Get Pushed Challenge. I am exited to learn more (especially photo editing)

@farmreporter - Thank you. I will look out for the In Praise of Get Pushed and the Get Pushed Challenge

@ladydoc - Glad to see others had the same question I did.
October 5th, 2022
My first challenge was the Album Cover Challenge. I really enjoyed doing it but unfortunately won it, and had absolutely no idea how to run a challenge. With lots of help and support, I did manage. Perhaps try a month in words challenge and see how you go. Street photography is a good one too, eg Scenes of the Road. No- one will criticise your attempts so just jump in and have a go.
October 6th, 2022
@northy See above. @jillbrowning says she would like to try the Get Pushed challenge. Jill, if I am wrong, please let me (and Northy) know. She is the person in charge of that challenge and can pair you up with a partner for next week.
October 6th, 2022
@mcsiegle Jill already asked - she's added to the list for next week 🙂
October 6th, 2022
@tinley23 Hah! Sounds like we had the same Album Cover experience. That being said I found it a really fun, creative one!
October 6th, 2022
@tinley23 I sometimes think winner 🏆 should get all the praise and accolades and runner up should organise the next challenge! 😂
October 6th, 2022
@tinley23 @johnmaguire Heheee... I too started off with the Album Cover challenge. Minus the winning :D :D :D But that one is fun.
My advice is echoing that from Lesley: try the words of the month. https://365project.org/discuss/themes-competitions/47119/*october-words*
Before I joined 365, I had similar challenges with a friend and I have recently picked up an album with the photos I did back then. They were gorgeous (no fake modesty). But I don't seem to do that any more. I mean the gorgeous photos. Or maybe I do, but I don't see it yet. I should print some more. For the reminder.
And another tip would be to print some of your photos. You can now order booklets online on various sites. Ther are invaluable. Pick your best photos over a period of time. or all the photos from a challenge. And have them printed. You'll thank yourself.
Good luck!
October 6th, 2022
@johnmaguire Haha I really did too.
October 6th, 2022
@30pics4jackiesdiamond Haha I totally agree.
October 7th, 2022
Watch for the Darkroom challenge. There is a new theme every other week. There is no contest, so no need to come up with a challenge yourself.
Write a Reply