42 Armistice Clearing in Compiegne


Fighting on the Western Front ceased at the 11th hour; on the 11th day, of the 11th month after The Armistice was signed in the forest of Compiegne in 1918.

The clearing at Compiegne did not exist in 1918 when the German train from Tergnier pulled up alongside the one used by Marshal Foch as his mobile headquarters.

The Clairiere de l'Armistice was laid out in 1922, with a museum building now housing a copy of the railway carriage used to sign the 1918 Armistice.

Adolf Hitler had the original taken away during World War II.

► Previous Photo: Hill 60 Cratered Landscape
https://365project.org/travel/365/2017-11-10

► Next Photo: Pozieres British Cemetery
https://365project.org/travel/365/2017-11-12

► 365 Project Travel - November 2017
https://365project.org/travel/365/2017-11

This Photo is Available to Print or License:

TravelPics - http://pics.travelnotes.org/featured/armistice-clearing-in-compiegne-travel-pics.html
PicFair - https://www.picfair.com/pics/05908320-armistice-clearing-in-compiegne
EyeEm - https://www.eyeem.com/p/114583634

View a Random Travel Photo: http://tnot.es/Random

====================================================
http://tnot.es/365http://tnot.es/Licensehttp://tnot.es/Prints
====================================================
Excellent perspective, composition and interesting history
posted November 10th, 2017  
A super composition and capture
posted November 10th, 2017  
Amazing story. Very interesting. Now following you
posted November 14th, 2017  
Leave a Comment
Sign up for a free account or Sign in to post a comment.