Noel Kerns light painting workshop

August 20th, 2014
I've signed up for the August 23rd Noel Kerns workshop in Dallas TX. I was wondering if anyone from 365 had already taken this class and would be able to provide some pointers/advice… Here are some excerpts from the advertisement:

Noel’s eerie, luminous photographs of ghost towns and abandoned locations across America have been featured on ABC News, Huffington Post, Slate Magazine, Texas Highways and Digital Camera Magazine. His new book, “Nightwatch: Painting With Light” is captivating readers and photographers around the world with surreal images of places society has left behind.

The supplemental lighting in Noel’s photos is created using the technique of light-painting, the process of carefully applying light onto a subject from handheld light sources such as flashlights and photographic strobes. These techniques are executed in the field, in real-time, while the camera’s shutter is open.

With exposure times measured in minutes rather than fractions of a second, hidden details that are invisible in the darkness make their appearance in the final image. Careful planning and serendipity each play a role in the creation of these surprising and surreal photographs. When working outside, the movement of stars, clouds, water, taillights from passing cars; all of these elements take on new weight and drama when captured over time.

Noel’s mastery of the artistic and technical challenges associated with light painting, combined with his dramatic compositions sets his work apart in the field. The subtle tones and textures he coaxes from his subjects create powerful, eye-catching images that captivate viewers and pull them into his abandoned, post-apocalyptic world. His best photographs of abandoned buildings share much in common with fine, intimate portraits of interesting people near the end of long, interesting lives.
August 20th, 2014
Oh that's awesome! I tried lightpainting and failed miserably. I was ready to throw my camera through the window haha. Can't wait to see what you learn!
August 20th, 2014
Thanks for sharing this. I wish I could go, but I'm too far away!
August 21st, 2014
@not_left_handed Uh oh! :) Keep your camera, hopefully I can provide some tips…
August 21st, 2014
@kamen088 Will try to post some tips from the class.
August 21st, 2014
I would so love to go on this, really looking forward to seeing the images you create :)
August 21st, 2014
@lambda That would be awesome. I looked up his photos and they are amazing!
August 22nd, 2014
Here is an. Example that I posted. There are also some others
Write a Reply