A lot of small white dots?

February 26th, 2015
For my get-pushed-135 challenge, I took some "night sky" photos for the first time. I used Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II: manual, f/5, shutter speed 0"5, ISO 1600, self timer 2 second last night. I darkened my photo with the drama function from Snapseed app. I find a lot of small white dots in my photo. Are the white dots stars that I could not see with my human eyes?
My lens flogged up after I got into my home (it was 5 F outdoor and I stayed outside for about 20 minutes), I immediately put my camera inside a ziplock bag with silica gel to absorb the condensation and left them in my garage for 30 minutes before I bring it back to my home. Is it the best way to get rid of the condensation? I appreciate your comments and advice. Thank you.
February 26th, 2015
February 26th, 2015
Likely either luminance noise or hot pixels noise as you can see a few white dots in the clouds. You should take the a long exposure image multiple on a steady tripod multiple times and compare if the dots are always on at the same location. If they are, they are hot pixels. If they aren't, it is luminance noise.

Either way really, just photoshop it out.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/hot-pixels/
February 26th, 2015
@davidtom thank you very much for your explanations, advice and link. I will take some more shots tonight and compare the dots.
February 26th, 2015
@warrenzx9 I believe you mentioned the white dots in one of your night time photos recently. Perhaps above explainations from David could answer your question :)
February 26th, 2015
Uhm, those are most definitely stars!
February 26th, 2015
Definitely stars
February 26th, 2015
@etchasketch1 @alisonp thank you very much. I will take some more photos tonight and reconfirm :)
February 26th, 2015
Awesome shot. I've had the same thing happen to me before. I always thought they were stars.
February 27th, 2015
@homeschoolmom thanks for letting me know :)
February 28th, 2015
i'm thinking stars as well... glorious image!
February 28th, 2015
@northy thanks. Have a nice weekend :)
Write a Reply