How do I approach families ?

June 28th, 2016
There have been a few times that I was on a photo shoot... ( just a few under my belt) and after the shoot, I have seen other families at the "park" .. trying to manage a 'selfie' for a family portrait. Have any of you approached people and asked them if they wanted a "professional" photo shoot done.. on the spot ?
Any "opening lines" I usually carry my business cards and my square for credit cards.

Either for practice or for business $

Thanks for any feedback!
Sarah
June 28th, 2016
I haven't. Loads of times I've thought to myself that I would like to feel uninhibited enough to ask them if they'd like me to take a photo.

However, when on a particular photo assignments, I've asked people if I may take their photo... in particular, for an assignment for National Geographic's Yourshot community assignment on Mothers (with their children).

I'd never ask them for money, or even consider it. I'll offer to show them the photos I took and send them smaller resolution copies by email if they like.

It has happened to me a number of times that people I've sent images to have hired me to do later shoots (for money).
June 28th, 2016
Living in this popular Nova Scotia tourist town in the summers, I often see people trying to get photos. If I have the time, I'm always more than happy to offer to take the photo of all of them. I'm only stymied when they hand me a cell phone as I don't use one and prefer a camera! Additionally, If, without their knowledge, I take a nice group photo, I will go up to them, show them the picture and ask if they'd like me to email it to them. Most often they're delighted! (I've even gotten some nice thank you notes, and once, a Christmas card with that photo on it). I'd rather spread some goodwill rather than discuss my professional ability. If they really like my work, they'll get in touch! Just my take in it.
June 28th, 2016
I take pictures of people all the time when we are out, but I've never charged for them. Other people have take my family's picture when we've been out, so I just do it as a courtesy.
But, if you want to have a spot that is nice in the park, you could go around and tell families, maybe give out a flyer telling where and how much, and maybe they will come to you for photos.
June 28th, 2016
@romeheather Thank you for your honesty. Please understand I am not a money hungry photographer (desperate). I possibly should have re-phrased.... and offered to take a pic.. and if $ subject came up and they wanted to order ..I guess it could be done via email .I don't know. Now I feel horrible for even asking here publicly !! HA
I have had a lot of people ask me to take their photo with their cell phone or camera. I was thrilled to have an opportunity to be asked by a gentleman to take their photo, unbeknown to me or the woman, he was proposing !! GOOSE BUMPS !! I just kept clicking and clicking !!!
@homeschoolmom interesting ...
THANK YOU all for feedback !! I am LOVING this site
June 29th, 2016
I personally would just volunteer to take a shot with them all in it, and at most give them my card without comment. I know how I would react if I were on the receiving end of an unsolicited business request.
June 29th, 2016
I am more direct and not afraid to approach people if they are in my path. I would start with a compliment, if they have a dog with them or a child I would mention how adorable or cute they are and I'm a photographer and would love to take a shot if they don't mind. Let them know what I would do with the photo and say I would be happy to send a copy of the edited photo if they would like just e-mail me - here is my card. Then my approach would be here is the photo I hope you like it - oh by the way if you would to schedule a photoshoot this is what I would charge, no pressure.
July 2nd, 2016
@myhrhelper and @frankhymus thank you for your honest answers... I have never done it .. and maybe I was too forward in my post... just wondering if others have done it ... loving the answers / reasons I am reading !!
Write a Reply