NEW Technique Challenge #61 Rear Curtain Sync

August 28th, 2016
New technique challenge #61- Rear Curtain Sync

Thanks to @kali6 for hosting the previous technique challenge – GIF, and I must say that I was very surprised to take out this one, so thanks for the votes.

We have covered so many technique challenges on 365 and I really struggled to find a technique not previously covered. So I thought we would revisit a challenge that I personally struggle with, the dreaded FLASH. For this challenge, we are going to concentrate on REAR CURTAIN SYNC. This flash technique is a challenge that can create some truly creative photographs, and one that I’m yet to feel comfortable with.

So what is Rear Curtain Sync? This is a flash technique this tells your camera to fire the flash at the end of a long exposure ie when you press the shutter, your lens opens up and starts collecting light and just before it closes the flash will fire to light up and freeze your main subject (this is an example of a shot where I have used this technique to freeze some pigs flying through the air.)

Here are a couple of links to tutorials that gives you plenty of information. So pull out your flash and blow off the dust. If you don’t have an external flash, don’t let that deter you, give it a crack with your on-camera flash.

http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/3326/how-to-use-rear-curtain-flash-for-creative-photos/
http://digital-photography-school.com/an-explanation-of-2nd-curtain-sync-flash-or-slow-sync-flash/
https://youtu.be/6APFNvFgwdl

For this challenge I would like to encourage you to copy/paste your photo in the discussion of this thread for others to view and provide feedback.

Be sure to tag your photo technique61 This challenge starts now August 28th and lasts for two weeks and ends Sept 11th. Have fun and I look forward to your creative photographs

Here is a list of prior challenges:

Low key, Motion blur, Split toning, Flipped reflections, Long exposure, Professional looking portraits, Mini portraits, Rim lighting, High/fast shutter speed, Vintage in modern, Double/multiple exposure, Forced perspective, Zoom burst, Multiplicity, Panning photography, ICM, Shaped bokeh, B&W, High key, In the night, One-light lighting, Refractions, Selective color, Tilt-shift, Into the sun/flare photography, white background, macro photography, Shooting blind, Framing, Light painting, Slow sync flash, Silhouettes, HDR (High Dynamic Range), Minimalism, Panography, Blurism, Color Contrast (Complimentary Colors), Diptych, Shadows, Ghost Shots, Portraits with Props, Negative Space, Low Key Portraits, Kinetic Photography (Camera toss), Self Portraits, Flash photography, Triptych, Brenizer, Soft focus, Focus Stacking, Architecture, Zoom Burst, Intentional Camera Movement, Square Format Photography, Reflector, DIY – Lensbaby, Back Lighting, Multiple Exposure, GIF
August 28th, 2016
@ltodd This one should be right up your alley. If you have any further information you can share with our 365 friends, please feel free. :)
August 28th, 2016
eek, great shot, truly challenging
September 1st, 2016

Not sure if this is right, but it has some motion blur and I used the rear flash mode.
September 2nd, 2016
September 3rd, 2016
@emma78
Great job Emma. This looks fabulous. I would never have thought of trying this technique on a wave.
September 3rd, 2016
@bill_fe
Very spook Bill. Great job
September 3rd, 2016
i really want to try this but keep forgetting, you may want to extend and remind folks, its a good challenge
September 4th, 2016

It didn't turn out very well. This is the best one. Most of my attempts didn't work at all. I need to work on this technique some more.
September 5th, 2016
September 5th, 2016
@homeschoolmom Well done, i thinks it looks great.
September 5th, 2016
@emma78 excellent. I love the irange stripe
September 5th, 2016
I kept at it. Here's my best one.
Write a Reply