I am appalled but the number of batteries I go through! Advice please!

January 28th, 2011
I use two cameras right now...a Fuji finepix which uses 2 AA and a Canon A650IS which uses 4 AA batteries. I currently buy the huge pack of Duracell batteries at Costco and some days I find that they only last me a day if I do some experimenting or take a lot of shots...I'm learning how to use the Canon and that requires a lot of power I guess...LOL!

My question is...I want to buy some rechargeables...but are some better than others? Should I buy the ones the camera brand sells, or are all rechargeables the same? How long can I expect them to last per charge and also per life of the battery.

OR...

Are alkalines better than rechargeable???

Right now I feel like I'm a horrible person for polluting the world with excessive use of alkaline batteries...but I want to continue taking photos...please help!!

Thanks!
Renata
January 28th, 2011
go with either rechargeable or lithium...my canon will burn thru alkaline in 20 shots, but the lithium are good for 2-3 hundred.
January 28th, 2011
I love my Energizer Lithium's... they last waaay longer than a standard battery. I get frustrated w/ rechargeable's because for them to be most effective, you must "kill" them before recharging. Otherwise you shorten their life.

Good luck
January 28th, 2011
Check the mAh ratings of the rechargables. I always use minimum 2400mAh (milli amp hours) in my speedlights, and I can usually get through a wedding without a battery change (unless I'm using fill flash all afternoon in bright sunlight).

Now, the stated mAh of a bettery is not always correct. I suggest reading some reviews and comparions. Choice magazine sometimes compares things like that.

I don't mind Eneloop, but I now use mostly Duracell 2650mAh, and they've been great for me. I can't say how they'd go in cold weather though - the day it snows (or even hails) in my town is going to be a very strange day.
January 28th, 2011
Good question Renata. I have been recharging batteries for a while now and had never thought about which are better than others. I think the ones I use are Ever Ready
You do need to be careful even when buying branded alkaline batteries. For example, I bought Kodak batteries for my GPS and they didnt even last a day (usually I get a good long day's use out of 2AAs) For a well known brand you would think they would be good quality, but they are not.

My cameras (Kodak M320 and Nikon D40) both have their own rechargeable batteries which is easier, more economical and environmentally friendly. The Kodak even charges through the USB port on the laptop as well as the mains adaptor.

If you are going to go for rechargeables you would need to make sure that you always have a spare set charged. And depending on how often you use the camera, and how long for, would need to buy enough to make sure you have adequate charged batteries ready. I used to find mine would take quite a long time to charge, overnight or longer sometimes. So you would need at least 12 if you are using both cameras at the same time, regularly. I guess the Canon has its own rechargeable battery - my Nikon one charges quite quickly. It is quicker to recharge it before it is completly flat, ie at the end of each days shooting rather than wait until it is completely flat and have to spend hours waiting for it. Professionals (not me!) always keep a spare charged for big shoots, but that is way out of my league. I have just read tips from the pros :)

It would be interesting to see if anyone has done any research on the best rechargeables.
January 28th, 2011
I use Energizer Lithium's as well. They are more expensive than regular alkaline's BUT SO worth it.
January 28th, 2011
I have the Canon rechargeable that came with an accessory package purchased the same time as my camera and, I have to say, it's wonderful . . . depending on flash usage, etc. I can take 1000s of shots. I have a memory card that shoots over 600 pics and I can usually run through it at least twice before recharging! I do keep a spare one charged in my camera bag, though . . .
January 28th, 2011
I have found, that recgargeables don't last that long. Energizers Lithium (for digital) will last me several hundred shots, sometime a month depending on how much I'm doin. Try them out.
January 28th, 2011
Lithium ~ 2x the cost and about 10x the amount of use.. Try them once and you will be sold.
January 28th, 2011
Right now, none of my cameras use AA batteries, but I liked the Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. They don't lose their charge when stored unlike some of the other brands. I think that is true for the Duracell rechargeables too. They won't last as long as the lithium, but I loved popping them back in a charger, and not having to spend more money everytime.
January 28th, 2011
@natika
@pengu1n is right. I use Sanyo's Eneloop rechargeables in my Pentax body, and well - I can't say anything negative about them. They keep their charge for an unbelieveably long time - I've managed to get a tad over 2000 shots with a single charge. I once left my camera in my car overnight when it was -20°C (-4°F) outside and needless to say, I was extremely surprised when I noticed they had held their charge even in those harsh conditions!

A set of Eneloops is rather cheap on Amazon. You might be able to find them elsewhere too. Trust me, you won't regret buying them.

Hope this helps! :)
January 28th, 2011
@jinximages in anything ten below zero(freezing) you get about 5 photos with eneloops, unless you keep the body warm... that is where the standard camera batteries (the custom recharge Ion ones) kick AA batteries bum... which will go 600 frames (or whatever they get normally)
January 28th, 2011
Wow! Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I'll try some lithiums first and see how they hold.

@chard @celticmystyc @jwresa @melmellow @artisticcliques

Any advice as to where to get the best deal on lithium?

@redkite @lynnmwatson Thanks for your feedback too! I've always wondered if it isn't best to get the "pack" specific to your brand of camera. I'll try lithium first, but then may try the rechargeables if not happy with the length of charge.

Thanks all for the feedback!
Renata
January 28th, 2011
I used the lithiums when I had my P&S. They would last MONTHS and i take tons of shots daily, especially when my son was first born.
January 28th, 2011
I have a Fuji Finepix E900 also, and it came with Fuji rechargeables and they would last days (and I take hundreds of shots a day). They lasted about 3 years before I noticed they didn't hold their charge very long and I spoke with my Idaho Camera guy who referred me to the Kodak rechargeables. I LOVE them :) Quickly charged and lasting for days and days :) I tell anyone I see using regular batteries to make the switch! The difference for me was getting around 10-20 pictures per battery change to about 500-1000 per charge!! I can't even imagine how much money I have saved over the last 5 years!
January 28th, 2011
@natika my camera came with a cell phone looking battery and a charger .... so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 28th, 2011
@amorton1437 @saramitchel Thanks! This helps a lot!
@mememo I'll keep that in mind when I'm in the market for a new camera!
January 28th, 2011
Something else I just remembered. If you are buying bog standard batteries, its worth spending a fiver on a battery tester. I recently discovered that where batteries are used in pairs, its often only that that is completely discharged and the other is still almost full, and they usually both get thrown away and replaced. Spending that fiver has saved me a fortune and also been beneficial to the planet. Win:Win situation I reckon :)
Write a Reply