My RAW file is a different color than my jpeg. Why?

April 19th, 2014
I think I've seen this happen before, but while I was working with CS2 and never this glaringly obvious. Here is the picture:

As stated in my description, the lotus flower string lights are purple. I shoot in RAW+JPEG, and my jpeg file also shows them as purple. But when I open the RAW file, before any editing has begun, the flowers are now...blue? The stranger part is, the solar centerpiece is also purple (almost the same shade as the string lights), yet the color did not change with the RAW file. Has this happened to anyone else? What exactly is going on here and how can I prevent it from happening again?

April 19th, 2014
That is right.
What JPEG does is make an sophisticated guess as to colour and chucks away data it thinks is irrelevant so you can see the pic instantly.... A similar decision is made for your LCD screen.
If you watch carefully as you import raw files you'll see them darken/ change colour as the raw file replaces the temporary JPEG

Blues usually contain some element of pink and are notoriously difficult to photograph...look at old gardening pics catalogues and you'll see more examples.especially as they fade in sunlight.

I'm not a techie person,just relaying what I've read.
Don't know if that helps you at all
April 19th, 2014
I think you might have to adjust your white balance in your RAW editing program
April 19th, 2014
Have a look how you are saving your image for your colour space, I had a few problems with this in the past. You may need to save in s-RGB and not Adobe RGB when saving from RAW to JPEG
April 19th, 2014
A lot of it is down to, as @june said, that RAW is unprocessed, where as a JPEG is processed by the camera. It has made guesses about exposure and shadows and highlights and saturation etc and applied them to the jpeg, where as the RAW file is untouched. I think @simon0128 has a point also, as it is this that dictates the colour spectrum that is used when doing that processing. I always just take in RAW as I don't want my camera making decisions for me.
April 19th, 2014
I think the difference in exposure from the center item to the ring of lights is intensity of light. The center piece is faded or diffuse light, where the outer ring of lights are very intense. Essentially, the camera is doing a good job converting the raw to JPEG and getting the colors right. The RAW is going to need some work.

I think essentially, the center piece is exposed correctly, and the lights are not. They are too bright, and they are burning out.

I think you could correct this in several ways.
1. you could do HDR and combine the images- edit post
2. you could touch up brush each of the lights and bring down the : highlights, brightness, contrast
3. change the luminance on the shot and figure out which color channel is doing the damage.

They are just too close to each other, and it's freaking the camera out. This might actually be a more high dynamic range shot. You'll have to pick which to expose for or do HDR and combine, or edit each light individually.

OR, say screw it, pick the JPEG that has the color correct and edit it, and forget the RAW this time.
Write a Reply