Need Advice about Framing Prints

July 28th, 2014
The time has come; I will print a few photographs chosen for annual juried exhibitions through my photography club!

But I have never printed my work or framed it (I've only made a set of calendars). I know, sounds pathetic.

Each work I print and frame will be on display for a year--one at a restaurant and the other at a Chamber of Commerce locally--and they each will be available for sale (I need advice on that too).

I have been told the average frame size is 16x20 and there is also a small wall for 11x14 frames (this is the one for the restaurant).

Does anyone have good framing advice? I would like to do it at a reasonable cost as I am aware that often pieces do not sell in these situations, and I don't want to be out money, but at the same time I want it to look nice. I am in the US for those offering specific places that might be helpful. And I'm talking about all advice--being digital has its advantages until you are asked to actually print something! Ha!

Thanks in advance!

Daryl
July 28th, 2014
I like the frames Michaels has. I was there yesterday, and they are having a BOGO sale. You can also use a 20% off coupon on top of that. If your photos are printed standard size, you can buy standard mats. If not, you can have a custom mat cut for a standard frame for about $20-25.

Best of luck in the competition!
July 28th, 2014
An artist friend of mine recommended: http://www.matboardandmore.com/index.aspx
You can order any size matboard, colors, etc. including the right size plastic sleeve, and they are pretty reasonably priced. And I've ordered their frame as well, with glass or with a plastic pane (the plastic looked fine in the art show I was just in), which are also reasonable and look very professional. I did put my own hanging wire on the back (cheap kit from hardware store). That said, Michael's is a great source -- my first go-to place when home. When on the island, I use internet options instead.
July 28th, 2014
@darylo - I've been pretty immersed in printing and production work lately. First you need to make sure your digital files can be printed to the size you want and retain good resolution without any pixelation. The sizes you state are relatively small so shouldn't be a problem. As you get bigger it can be more of an issue and some touch up adjustments may be needed as image changes a bit as you get bigger. Also the choice of paper quality matters too and as well as the finish (matte, lustre, glossy, pebbled, etc.). Then matting color and size and frame color and size and style. So lots of decisions. For regular stuff I use Adoramapix on-line and for high end stuff I use Griffin Editions.
July 28th, 2014
@egad @taffy @michaelelliott Thank you very much! So here's another question showing my complete ignorance. If the frame is 16x20, obviously I need the photo to be smaller than that to accommodate a mat too. The photo that has been picked sort of surprised me, so now I'm thinking I may want it at the 11x14 size, but then that would be a smaller print than that given a mat correct? Am I over thinking this? I'll start looking at the sites you are suggesting, or I'm sure I can head over to Michaels and they can tell me. I just want to order the right size print for the frame and mat combined. I hope I'm making sense!
July 28th, 2014
I would get your frame first so you know what will fit. Some of the lower cost frames at Michaels or I use Joann Fabrics come with a mat and it will tell you the mat size so you can order that print. The problem with digital and cheaper frames is alot of the time you have to crop alot off your photo as the frames are standard sizes (8x10) and your photo is digital which is 8x13 I believe. If you are only doing a couple I would get your frames so you know what you are working with then order prints. Be careful- ordering prints is addicting once you see them in print.
July 28th, 2014
Daryl,

I typically have my prints created as 11x14 for a 16x20 frame with a mat. As mentioned by @michaelelliott, I use Adoramapix and I also like National Photo Lab. Unlike many, I do not use Michael's but rather, for items I do not frame myself (using frames I find and restore - as needed) from thrift-store finds, I go to local mom-and-pop frame shops. The costs are usually less than Michaels and the quality of service and interaction is better. Besides, I'm keeping it local and I like that. My 6 fave matched frames (heavy 16x20), photos (11x14), mats found on sale online cost me $22.50 each. I LOVE having them in my office. It makes my office look like an art gallery. People enjoy stopping by to see what's going to be there bc I rotate prints (from sales at online places that do nice prints). It's a small indulgence but has resulted in sales.

As for pricing, as you mentioned in your OP, framed and matted 16x20 can vary widely. I would start at $120 and go up from here depending on the quality of the prints, framing, and mat(s). I, personally, think that more than $220 for a 16x20 is a bit over the top. However, if the print is a metallic, for example, it may warrant a higher selling price.

Hope that helps a bit!
July 28th, 2014
@voiceprintz - Yeah pricing it out for retail is an issue I've been gappling with. I have 2 tracks: one is regular fine art printing by Adoramapix which you know the pricing is very reasonble and leaves good room for profit along the lines of what you said.

But I also have some that want massive big prints on paper from Holland and printed musuem quality. The printing production cost alone can be like $600. The printing, backing, plexi, mounting braces, etc I recently did for my firm on one of my pics cost $2,200 just in production costs. Now I know why a high end gallery sells completed works for like $5,000.
July 28th, 2014
If there is Michael's near where you live, they do have good frames, and also frequently have BOGO sales and then you can apply their coupons as well. Another bonus with Michael's is that if you purchase a frame and standard mat there (everything off the shelf, so to speak), they will assemble your artwork at no cost. Professionally. They add the paper and wire hanger on the back and everything. So if you can print your photo(s) to a standard off-the-shelf mat (and frame) size, you can get your artwork assembled so that it's straight and doesn't have any stray cat hairs, etc., in it (my problem when I try to put things together at home). I have work hanging in two different shows at the moment, everything I've entered was framed at Michael's, and I've sold three of the five pieces hanging. I'm confident that the professional framing has a hand in my success, and I'm seriously appalled at the some of the really cheaply done (and cheap-looking) framing of some of the other show participants.

Unusual-sized prints may be interesting, but custom-cut mats (unless you're doing it yourself) and frames get pricey.
July 28th, 2014
@michaelelliott You are so right. I've not had any large installations to date. I have sold pieces up to 24x36 and some odd custom sizes and have, necessarily, needed to augment accordingly. I've also found it helpful to attend gallery openings and shows in order to get a better idea of what the local market bears and reflects.
July 28th, 2014
@darylo excited for you!!! :)
July 29th, 2014
@voiceprintz - good idea.
July 29th, 2014
I print at 8 X 12 and then use a mat that has an 8 X 12 opening for a 16 X 20 frame. I think they look pretty nice for what I've needed. When I printed 8 X 10 I was surprised at how much I lost.
July 29th, 2014
There's a site online called Frames by Mail. I've used them for fine art framing. You can upload your painting/photo so you can see how it would look with the matt and frame you pick. And your photo doesn't have to be a standard size. When you give them the size of your photo, they will adjust the matt opening to allow for overlap on the back of the matt. I've noticed that they will also print your photo with no cropping, and you can pick how many inches wide you want the matt, and a choice of many frames. When I did my own framing, it's easiest (and less expensive) to use metal strip frames, they come with hardware to secure the picture, and hardware to hang it. You would want the frame, matt, backing, and glass or plexiglass. I've found them to be very reasonable. If you're printing it yourself, you could still upload it to the site, pick a mat, frame, and backing, linen tape to secure the photo by the top to the mat, and have some picture glass cut locally. You would save a lot of money. And remember, the wider the matt, the larger the picture frame, and more expensive. They usually don't have to be more than 2, 2 l/2 inches wide for fairly small photos. I have also used small local shops, but they are much more expensive, as is Michaels.
July 29th, 2014
Hey Daryl....I have done a lot of framing and matting over the years, as I use to do art shows and carried a lot of inventory. If you ever get to the point where you are producing more than a few, here are some resources I have gathered from other photographers in the business.

Black, metal Nielsen Bainbridge frames work to display photographs really well. Dick Blick Art Supplies on line carries these frames. They are simple and put with a white double mat really displays the photograph nicely. If any arrive damage, Dick Blick sends you a replacement out right away. All you have to do is send a pic to them of the damaged frame. Great customer service.

I use Clearbags.com for all my mats and protective bags that go over the images that are not framed. The only issue is you have to buy in bulk, but as a photographer, you may use the extra in the near future. :)

I also skip the 8 x 10 size and prefer 8 x 12....you just get so much more in your print.

I put 11 x 14 also in a 16 x 20 frame. :)

Best wishes to you on your framing journey and your juried exhibitions! Very exciting!
July 30th, 2014
@mhuntphotography I have heard of clearbags--someone in our photo society recommended it for some of the festivals (she suggested framing ONE of the photos above, but provide the bagged versions in the bin, so the person has the choice but can visualize it printed--improves sales apparently!). Thanks so much for this advice. Dick Blick is around the corner too!
July 30th, 2014
@vstap thanks so much for the advice! GREAT idea! Sorry I didn't get back sooner--was out allllllll day.
July 30th, 2014
@taffy I'll be in touch soon! :)
July 30th, 2014
@nanderson Awww, thanks. Very exciting! I will receive a notice of another juried exhibition where I do hope the image I like is chosen--it's more up my alley than the restaurant one, but hey, I will be exhibited for an entire year! Now I have to make some cards. :)
July 30th, 2014
@sjoblues Thanks so much Shannon! I will investigate Michael's and JoAnn's next week I hope! I have until the end of August, so I'll look around for best ideas. I do NOT want to put something out there that doesn't look well composed or constructed!
July 30th, 2014
@jannkc Great advice, thanks so much Jann!
July 30th, 2014
@voiceprintz @michaelelliott REALLY appreciate the information. I'm such a small fry, but I can dream can't I? So glad I have everyone here for asking questions and getting such wonderful responses! I find it odd that I have a library of thousands of photos and I have yet to print one properly. Sad.
Write a Reply