Any spider experts? Dont look if you dont like spiders!

September 16th, 2014
I saw something on this spider that I didn't see on other spiders I've photographed. I've never studied spider anatomy so naturally I Googled and Wikied and I think I'm a bit wiser but the info wasn't great and I would like to know for sure if this is a female and the bit that's sticking up (for want of a better description) is an ovipositor / epigynum?
September 16th, 2014
Are those eggs underneath stuck to her middle? Kinda looks like it. Very cool picture!
September 16th, 2014
Have no idea but I love spider shots!
September 16th, 2014
I think it's just a garden spider. I don't know what eggs you're talking about. I think it's just the bottom of her legs. If you really gotta know you could ask on reddit.com/r/whatthisbug :)
September 16th, 2014
Beautiful! That is a Garden Orb spider.Harmless,gorgeous and very plentiful in late summer/ fall on the East Coast if the US.they spin the typical orb shaped webs that folks think of when they think of a Spiders.Great shot. Fabulous detail.
September 16th, 2014
It looks like the UK/European garden spider to me - specifically Araneus diadematus - which lay eggs in a sac, if you Google there are similar pictures out there, so you might have caught one beginning to lay eggs to build a sac around it.
September 16th, 2014
@homeschoolmom @darylo @kittydorkdork @byrdlip @mzzhope Thank you everyone
@shannejw Thank you for naming her which led me to these photos, number 23 confirms its an ovipositor. http://www.arkive.org/garden-spider/araneus-diadematus/image-A7951.html
I Love 365, learn something every day.
September 16th, 2014
And FYI, here is a night orb spider in action eating a praying mantis (got it last year). It was fascinating to watch it work at night. Very elaborate web, but gone by morning. They do, indeed, do the whole deed in a night and leave no evidence. Fascinating creatures! LOVE the site you shared too!

September 16th, 2014
September 16th, 2014
@darylo Great shots and I love the web on the last one in the collage so much bling. I thought you might like this shot too, and if anyone else wants to share a spider shot please do.

September 16th, 2014
Fabulous!!!!
September 16th, 2014

Here are male and female black and yellow garden spiders that have built their webs side by side.
September 16th, 2014

Here is a grasshopper that accidentally flew into a web in my garden and this St Andrews Cross spider (also a lady) made haste in preparing a meal.
September 16th, 2014
@suebarni - the males of your Orb Weaver is quite small when compared to the ladies....
Write a Reply