Cannot display this file!

September 21st, 2014
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me! I have taken a lot of pictures on my D3200 and when playing them back today I have noticed about 30 or so come up with cannot display this file. I have had a look for this on Google and its not proving very helpful. I have not edited the pictures in any way just taken them. Is there a way I can get these photos back? Some of them are from my holiday and my best friends wedding. I have tried uploading them onto my PC and I still cannot view them...
I also noticed whilst I take a couple of photos my camera freezes.

Any help would be much appreciated!
September 21st, 2014
If the camera is freezing then it's probably having difficulty writing files to the card. This is most likely due to a faulty memory card, although it could be (although much much less likely) a problem with the camera.

If the files can't be viewed even on the camera, it's very likely they were never written to the card successfully, so I doubt it will be possible to recover them. Do the lost photos coincide with the times the camera was freezing?

I'd recommend a new card, although it's possible that careful cleaning of the contacts on the card, and/or formatting the card via the camera's menu system (once you've got all the photos you can off it) will resolve the issue for future shoots. Given the low cost of memory cards though, I wouldn't risk it, and would simply get a new one.
September 21st, 2014
I can't imagine it could be anything but a faulty card as Alexis explains. Let us know if there is a problem with a new card. Also, careful cleaning of the card contacts in the camera, and on the card itself too, again as Alexis suggests, is a possibility.
September 22nd, 2014
I had a similar issue where I was taking files from my Canon to my PC using the supplied cable - I was getting corrupted files. At first I feared a bad card or failing external disk drive as the cause but in the end it turned out to be a damaged cable (my office chair wheels had all but severed it at some point). In my case, I swapped cables and the problem went away.
September 22nd, 2014
I think Alexis' answer is good, and probably correct. I did want to add, however, that my D3200 gives me the same message that it can't display the file if I have reoriented the picture from landscape (horizontal) to portrait (vertical). The picture files display accurately on the computer, just not on the camera. Since you say your pictures aren't displaying on the computer either, this is most likely not your case, but I thought I'd throw it out there. My camera freezes sometimes also, but if I'm patient, it eventually writes the file. If the camera battery is fully charged, it works better.
Write a Reply