Need a change or just missed the mark

March 26th, 2015
Tried something different. This must need some type of a change or did I just miss the mark all together?

Working off of the Word of the Day - Bud

Any suggestions?

March 26th, 2015
Maybe a recrop to thirds, or an additional element? It's not spare enough to be minimalist, and not eye catching enough to be still life. I also can't tell on 365 if the bud is in focus or not, which kind of bothers my eye. I like the warm background against the golden tones. I'm sure you are on to something here.
March 26th, 2015
It's definitely better on black. It's hard to view on the normal 365 background color because of the closeness of the tones. A slight border might help with that, just for this site. I think I would prefer it if the bud was centered instead of the bottle, and also I might crop a bit more off the top. I'm normally big on negative spaces, but I think in this case a slightly tighter crop might help keep your eye on the subject.
March 26th, 2015
I would crop down from the top, up from the bottom to just above or at the curve (see what looks best) and I know I'm at odds with Sara but I'd like to see it more off-center to the right. Last, I'd play with tone a bit to make it more clearly monochrome. I think the suggestion for a black border is potentially interesting as it does look strong on black. It's always so much fun to try a different type of image!
March 26th, 2015
All good suggestions above and it certainly does look better on black by a long way. I think though that there may be a fundamental difficulty with the bloom outweighing the vessel. Perhaps a more delicate stem? A miniature or species narcissus, a Jonquil or a Tete a Tete perhaps, or a different kind of flower such as a Freesia.

It's all very much a matter of personal taste isn't it?
March 26th, 2015
@melston @polarvrtx @taffy @runestone Thank you all for your suggestions. This is the only "bud" available. We are just coming out of winter/cold. Could even have flurries tomorrow.

I spent too long just trying to take a decent photo of a bad subject. I will go back and see what I can do from here. Thanks again.
March 26th, 2015
I don't think you chose a bad subject at all. I think you have got 99% of the way.
I agree with the comments above as far as getting that last 1% is concerned. Move the bottle off centre; have the flower lean in to the photo, and trim a little from the top and bottom. And maybe add a border, although probably not as thick as I have made it!.

I have also applied a grad filter from top to bottom, just from personal taste.

To give you a better idea, here is a quick edit:

March 26th, 2015

This is what I came up with. I cropped it with the stem along the Golden Ratio. Mimiced the stem in the border and lightened it up a bit.

Thank you all for your suggestions. It is amazing how you can dwell on something so simple,
March 27th, 2015
Looking really good Lynda. Yes, your placement is better than my hurried one!
March 27th, 2015
Ashley, thank you. Now to focus on something else. ;-)
March 27th, 2015
@lynbonn Great edits!
March 27th, 2015
@taffy Thank you.
Write a Reply