Random Red and White dots in binary and tertiary groups

September 30th, 2016

This is a zoomed in portion of a night time image of the Milky Way that I posted about a week ago. When I zoomed in to the image I noticed that within the star field which is made up of stars trailing over a 30 second exposure there were what appeared to be binary stars, mostly red but some white, that were in focus. As I panned around the zoomed image, I discovered these existed all over the image, not just within the star field. Any idea what is happening here?
September 30th, 2016
Most likely it is 'noise' created by the long exposure. @sarasotab
In the LR develop section try using the noise reduction sliders.
October 4th, 2016
@bill_fe I tried the noise reduction, it had no effect. I looked at some of the other exposures and they all had these artifacts, it is almost like my monitor had faulty leds. But of course they are on the image, not the monitor and they appear in different places on each image. I checked some of the test images I took that were way underexposed, and they were not there. I suspect you are right about noise, but I have seen others here shoot at the same settings, and have not detected these artifacts. It may be a Nikon processing issue. Thanks for looking and commenting.
January 22nd, 2017
I finally found the correct terminology for this. They are hotspots, dead pixels on the sensor. Supposedly they can be mapped and turned off by the manufacturer, but Nikon didn't do it on my D5200 and there are hundreds of them. Fortunately the NIK Dfine2 tool has a Hotspot filter on the PS plugin that eliminates most of them.
Write a Reply