Any recommendations for a Mini Tripod?

January 15th, 2019
Hi everyone, I am thinking of buying a mini tripod, as I cannot see myself setting up a big one and lugging it around. I would like to use it mostly for doing macro shots. At the moment I am using books at home, which I obviously cannot do outdoors. I do not only want one for a table top, it could be a bit bigger. Is the GorillaPod any good or should I get a Manfrotto? I would appreciate any advice :-)

PS. I have a bridge camera which weighs about 650 grams (one and a half pounds)
January 15th, 2019
I've worked my way through lots of mini-tripods.
What will be best for you depends on the type of shots you want to get, the amount of weight you want it to support and the locations you'll want to shoot in.
GorillaPods are pretty good, though I find them a bit unwieldy to carry sometimes. My current go-to is called a Miggo Splat. I like it because it easily takes the weight of my mirrorless camera, but also it wraps around the camera when it's in my bag so is out of the way and provides a modicum of extra protection. I really like it (so much so that I bought a second one for my little point-and-shoot), but they aren't for everyone, especially if you use a heavy lens.
January 15th, 2019
I bought a Joby years ago ... I have a couple but the one that works the best was this one: JOBY GorillaPod SLR Zoom. Flexible Tripod with Ballhead Bundle for DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras Up To 3kg. (6.6lbs). I like the way the legs can wrap around other supports. I have wrapped them around railings to get photos of night lights on water and bridges. I also wrapped them around the frame of a playground merry-go-round to get a motion selfie. Just be sure to get a tripod that will support the weight of your camera and lens. I forgot this on a trip so did a quick buy of a lighter model, and it wouldn't support the weight (that's why I now have a few of these little tripods.)
January 15th, 2019
Mine's a Manfrotto and is ok.
January 15th, 2019
I have an Altura Photo Mini Tripod. It is very light and inexpensive and folds into a small space when not in use. It is lacking in adjustment flexibility, though. The up/down angle is limited to discrete clicks on a pivot. Still, I use it often, and it is easy to tuck away in your camera bag.

For serious macro work, though, you might want one that has micro adjustments for forward and back position, since the DOF is so small for macro photography. I don't have one to recommend that has that, though.
January 15th, 2019
I had a Gorilla Pod which was great - lightweight and easy enough to manipulate in to precarious positions, which was great until one of the legs kept detaching itself. It last about 7 or 8 years though but I've recently gone with a Miggo Splat and I have to say that it's an excellent investment - lightweight, easy to attach and use. Well worth the pittance it cost (it was birthday present)
January 15th, 2019
Yeah I am a fan of the Gorilla Pod. I also like the beanbag approach. The Miggo Splat sounds interesting though - this is the first I have heard of this.
January 16th, 2019
my gorilla pod and i do not get along... i think it's likely an excellent product - i've just never managed to tame it...

i do like the miggo splat... for all the reasons noted above... i don't use it that often for reasons i won't bore you with, but when i have used it, it's done exactly what's needed, and i think it's handled heavier lenses reasonably well...

however, mostly when i am out and about i just use the "put camera on whatever is handy" approach... which works quite well in most instances :)
January 16th, 2019
@humphreyhippo @aecasey @30pics4jackiesdiamond @tdaug80 @graemestevens @webfeet @northy @ramr Thanks everyone, I see, it is not easy to choose one. As my camera is very light, I think I will go with a Joby although I also like the Miggo Splat. I like the idea of being able to wrap it around a tree etc.
Your input is much appreciated :-)
January 17th, 2019
@aecasey One more question April, can the Joby be used almost flat on the ground too? Thanks 😊
January 17th, 2019
@ludwigsdiana The legs of mine do lay flat on the ground. Measuring from the ground to the base of the ball head on mine puts the base of my camera 4 1/2". I haven't measured up to where my lens would be, as that depends on your camera. Hope that helps!
January 19th, 2019
I had a gorillapod, would not suggest it. My ultrapod, I still use when backpacking light. It seems to be more stable and versatile to me, I would have to get a 5K gorilla pod, but have seen the parts pop apart enough to make me nervous.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ANCPNM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Write a Reply