Would like ideas and tips for two photo gigs

August 20th, 2014
Recently two acquaintances reached out to me for photographs.

One is nature photos on their property (country, 100 acres) I've got nature down pretty much and that is why she wants to hire me.

The other is a Catholic church interior. This I need tips for. I've read articles and have ideas on what I want to do but.

So please feel free to share tips or ideas for either gig. I would love to hear them.
August 20th, 2014
@nytewind
I'm no expert on either of these..
but if i was photographing the interior of a church.. I'd go for the things that capture the essence and spirit (no pun intended!) of the place. Could be close low key shots,(think - still life-esk) use DoF... depending on what the architecture is like - B&W could work nicely.
And contrast maybe with a from back to front of church view (down the aisle so to speak.. )
August 20th, 2014
Search pinterest for "church photography" I bet you'll see tons of examples of interesting things.
August 20th, 2014
So it is just taking photos of the church with no people?
August 20th, 2014
Well I am no expert but summarising some ideas from a book I've been reading, for the property one, I'd suggest figuring out your bearings (where is east and west etc), maybe visit during the day and scope out some good spots for some sunrise/sunset shots and/or to make the most of the early morning and late afternoon golden light? Just to give your shots an extra kick, you know :)

And for inside the church, definitely take a tripod as I'm sure you're pretty familiar with your Rebel's limitations in low light (I had a 450D and that was a source of great frustration!) :) I'm sure when you get there your eye will find all sorts of great details and povs but I'd also be looking for the light and how to be creative with that, especially if you have stained glass etc. Ornaments that might be backlit, patterns of shadow on the floor etc etc. I don't know whether you've already thought of all this stuff??
August 20th, 2014
You might want to consider doing some HDR shots inside the Cathedral. If you look at the tag 'HDR' on here, I'm sure there will be a few of cathedrals. It brings out the shadows, and evens up the light and dark. This is useful where you have uneven light.
August 20th, 2014
Sue
Check out the little details as well, the carvings on the ends of the pews, or on the stairs leading up to the pulpit. See if the lectern is different, What carvings are around the windows, or the pillars. Also look for light patterns on the floors and walls from the Stained glass windows.

But, with all of this, check first if it is okay to take photos inside. Most churches/cathedrals say okay but there are those that don't like it. (Westminster, St. Paul's etc.)
August 20th, 2014
Sue
Oh, and don't forget to look up, some of the roofs and details up there are amazing.
August 20th, 2014
Thanks for these ideas, some I already have listed some I have not but will. Please keep them coming.

@sioux I'm being requested to shoot these photos for the Catholic Womens Society in my area. So definitely have permission.

Being Catholic myself I know how beautiful these buildings are and want some different prospective to make sure I don't miss any details.
August 20th, 2014
@agima Yes, they want shots of the windows at least for cards used for the church.
August 20th, 2014
Look out for Our Lady, important to Catholic women, (I am sure that will be on your list) Candlelight is exciting. There may be some intricate embroidery on altar pieces etc. (Might be worth asking for the different colours to be put out for you) Enjoy!
August 20th, 2014
I've taken lots of shots inside churches and cathedrals, and usually take a combination of wide angle lens and a longer lens for detail. If there's a guide book in the church or if you can find out something on the internet, you'll know where any special points of interest are. I agree that HDR shots can work well too.
August 21st, 2014
Check out the light at different times in the church . I have visited St. Albans cathedral offer and got some great shots-well to me they are. I love the detail shots and perhaps some of the people who help.
Write a Reply