Swimsuit Model's Response to Photoshop

August 27th, 2014
I whole heartedly agree with her. You?

http://hellogiggles.com/swimsuit-model-fights-back-photoshopping

x
August 27th, 2014
Did she sign a release? Did the photographer sign away rights? If so, this stuff happens every day so just live with it. Perhaps it was the photographer herself who sculptured the image? "...beyond recognition" surely overstates the situation. The "liquefy" filter in Photoshop can do all sorts of body sculpting, and to tell the truth, aesthetically, I like the edited version much better. "Art" has little to do with "literal reality," and unless the genre is "photo journalism" then similarly for photography I think.
August 27th, 2014
@frankhymus I think it's more about trying to change what people define as beautiful than being annoyed about it being edited. I agree with her that it's sad we (as in people) tend to see slimmer as more attractive, desirable and arty.
August 27th, 2014
@mei_photography Sure, but don't blame the advertiser or the company for people's attitudes. It is what it is, and it is what sells. That's what the "fashion and beauty" genre of photography is all about. Perhaps sad, but You see it in hundreds of publications this way every week.
August 28th, 2014
@mei_photography I agree with you. As a woman and a teacher, I think it is appalling that women have to compete with unrealistic images. Too many young girls and women base their self-worth on their body types. And @frankhymus I see your point, but maybe if advertisers and/or companies refuse to allow this to happen and take a stance, we will go back to what real women look like - the ones from the 1940's and 1950's. Give me Marilyn Monroe or Rita Hayworth any day!!
August 28th, 2014
Hi have to disagree with you @frankhymus. I read an article a while ago, an interview with an ex-fashion magazine editor. She had countless stories of models in hospital, fainting and needing to lie down for photoshoots as they literally couldn't stay vertical, they were that starved. Casual comments of "oh, she's a fit model, so she spends a lot of time in hospital" etc. My understanding of a "fit model" is that those are the girls CHOSEN BY THE INDUSTRY when clothes are being designed and made and fit: that is the body shape our clothes are designed to be worn by. She also talked about many of the powerful women in the industry having many of their own body issues, eating disorders etc. It's a widespread problem, and the fact that it exists does not excuse the fact that it is perpetuated. I don't know about blame as it's a complex issue, but I do believe that advertisers, companies, photographers and everyone else in the industry carries responsibility. Like @lbluejaye8 I'm also a teacher, and I'm very familiar with teenage girls and the complex stuff they go through with regards to self image. It's one thing for a man such as yourself to have an opinion as to what you think looks good (and you are completely entitled to that opinion), but the consequences of this stuff are so much more far-reaching and damaging. Like many issues in our society, it's a conversation we need to keep having over and over, so regardless of whether a release was signed or not, it's really important for young women like this to speak up in these situations, keep the conversation rolling.
August 28th, 2014
@lbluejaye8 @aliha Nicely put ladies! I think it's a very important issue and one to be concious of as photographers. What are we defining as pretty and desirable with our images? Even as I start doing photography sessions for little ones I'm trying to be aware of gender stereotypes and avoid them where I can. All of this is so important in shaping future generations and how they see themselves. x
August 28th, 2014
@mei_photography Yes, I think this is important as well. It's amazing how the stereotyping starts from day one. I was at Kmart recently and wanted to buy my girls a scrapbook each. Sounds pretty innocent? The only options were branded, and either cars/spaceships etc or princesses/Barbie or something. I got so frustrated and left with nothing.
August 28th, 2014
@aliha That's so annoying! Particularly when the boys get the science and engineering stuff and girls get pretty princesses! Really gets me riled when I see things like that. I'm not sure if you're aware of it but Kinder Egg got themselves in trouble when they made girls eggs and boys eggs. It was initially just a chocolate egg with a fun toy in it... then some marketing whizz decided to make them pink or blue with "girls toys" and "boys toys"... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/kinder-surprise-in-stereotyping-row-over-pink-and-blue-eggs-8747331.html
Write a Reply