Square September

August 28th, 2014
Would you like to discover a bit more about composition?
I am proposing to use a square format for the whole of September in order to learn more about composition. I think by restricting photographs to a 1x1 aspect ratio, I will improve my knowledge of composition - what works for a rectangle (eg. rule of thirds) does not always work for squares. And hopefully see some improvement!
If you use Instagram and iPhone Apps like Hipsamatic you will be well into the square. Perhaps you could teach us a thing or two!?

Here are some ideas to get you going if you would like to join in

www.clickinmoms.com/blog/composition-tips-for-square-format-photographs-by-megan-dill/

http://digital-photography-school.com/6-lessons-the-square-format-can-teach-you-about-composition/

Let me know if there is any interest in this idea - you can always combine it with any other challenge: BW fortnight, album cover, 6 word story, collages etc - so it won't restrict your subject.
If you are interested and there are enough of us I will think up a different aspect of composition to concentrate on in each of the four weeks.

The tag will be @squareseptember and we'll start on Monday! I will be in France and will be using my iPhone/iPad to get into the square format theme!
August 28th, 2014
Haha. As a Hipsta dude for over three years now I've seen some decline in quality, proportional to my dedication... Not sure this is the moment to teach you guys a thing or two :-)
August 28th, 2014
Sounds like fun. I could use some improvement in this area as well.
August 28th, 2014
BTW, your link for ideas does not work. It takes you to the page and gives you an error message.
August 28th, 2014
Great idea on this one. I've been thinking of doing Circles in Square just like in flickr. Will be happy to tag it squareseptember
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1189454@N21/
August 28th, 2014
My favourite crops are 1x1 and 16x9, so many of my pics are square already. Maybe I could try that for the whole month then! Sounds like fun.
August 28th, 2014
@homeschoolmom thanks. I have deleted it. The one that hasn't gone blue does work if copied and pasted into browser.
August 29th, 2014
@lleo please count me in. I'll certainly keep my eyes open for opportunity. :)
August 29th, 2014
Using Instagram and totally understand. I am open. :)
August 29th, 2014
Great idea! Especially since I'm soon upgrading to a smartphone, and hence will be joining Instagram.
August 29th, 2014
Sounds like a great idea! I'll contribute where I can. Thank you.
August 29th, 2014
Good idea.
August 29th, 2014
I am will give it a go, just not sure about all month.
August 29th, 2014
I'm down :)
August 30th, 2014
Great idea
August 30th, 2014
Sounds fun to me! I'm in!

@altadc Just joined that group on flickr cant wait to try it out...Love the stuff on there! Thanks for pointing me to it!
August 31st, 2014

In anticipation of September in square format!
August 31st, 2014
am going to give it a go
August 31st, 2014
I'd like to play.
September 1st, 2014
@lleo great challenge but you might want to amend the tag in your post.
September 1st, 2014
@lleo Hi, just noticed the tag spelling. Do you want us to keep it like that or change it. Cheers
September 1st, 2014
My first one

September 1st, 2014
oh, nice challenge. I wonder if my DSLR can be set to 1x1.... I'll see what I can do, I've been lacking motivation lately.
September 2nd, 2014
How's this?
September 2nd, 2014
Thanks for the interest everyone! Slow and haphazard internet on holiday in France so will catch up next week. And also learn how to tag you all! I can set my camera to 1x1 so that really helps with composition as you take the photo @zosimasy , rather than cropping on the computer. I like the bold flowers in the corner of your shot. It's good to have a theme/discipline to get the motivation back again.
September 2nd, 2014
Sorry about the tag, I thought I had corrected it. Squareseptember.
September 2nd, 2014
@lleo I havn't been able to figure out how to set my DSLR to 1:1
Both are canon: Xti and 20D
September 3rd, 2014
@zosimasy sorry I have no idea. Mine is just in the menu.
September 5th, 2014

September 5th, 2014
I usually crop in photoshop, just because I might forget to set it back to normal on my camera! :D today I had my Canon 500D, didn't even find the option of changing it? Anyway, I try to vision the picture square while taking it and then the cropping is the first thing I do in Photoshop. That is when I've planned the shot in that way, sometimes I just start playing and trying on different crops as the final touch.

This is what I took tonight, I planned it square and managed to even get another tree to the bottom of the picture without paying any attention to it before I had it in photoshop!

Write a Reply